AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
This is a pretty old article. We had a Infocus 400 at work (an earlier verions of this) and it had a horrendous problem with uneven brightness. The whole image had a bright circle in the middle with darkj corners, kind of like the silent movie "iris" effect.

This makes it unsuitable for HT, especially after the $1700 LT150...

Robert

------------------

Robert Clark

See our home theater (with very poor quality pics!)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...874&a=12744078

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
The 425z is not bad, as the others in the 400 family are not bad. For the right price, they could be compelling.

I think that $1500 is just too much to pay for these in today's market.

I would expect a price in the 1000-1200 range today, and if that is what I had to spend, the 425z would be an OK choice. I might decide to wait a bit.

Further, some other machines are pushing the envelope for affordable equipment. Even at $2400, the NEC LT150 is an excellent buy.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The LP-425zv I have has completely even brightness and color. I was actually suprised at how good the pic was. My buddies 10HT (which he bought the second it came out for $6500) has hot spots and uneven colors or color temp and blacks that are no better. The only problems I have with the 425zv are noise, even though its not that bad, and light spilling out the lens which washes out the blacks a bit. There are people who claim to have an easy fix for the light spill but you have to open it up. At $1400, in a year or two when I come across a LT-150Z or something better for cheap, I can pick it up without much guilt. I've seen the LT-150 and it has a great pic. The lack of a zoom was the Dell deal killer for me. Plus, today, its $1000 more which is alot relative to $1400. Don't expect the 425zv to beat a G-11 or LT-150 or other good, more costly PJ's. But if you want to get in on the cheap, you can get a respectable picture out of it and not be tied down when something else comes along.

------------------

Greg

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
-- I agree with Mad, it is a pretty reasonable picture for the price.

-- As I said in another thread, it is better than the average RP set, better than my video grade CRT and more tolerant of ambient light.

-- Great little DVD machine with an HTPC (good web surfing too).

-- Whites can be a bit hot & blacks a bit gray.

-- I used an 84" 4x3 1.3 gain screen

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I agree about the 150 I don't know what the excitement about this projector is all about. It is an anemic 700 ansi lumens, no zoom, a 1000 hour lamp that costs 500 dollars to replace-in my mind the 1700 Dell price was its true worth and no more. I don't like the idea of being hog tied by my projector and that in my mind is what no zoom adds up too.

Lenny

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don't like the fact I can't zoom either but that's a far easier thing for me to deal with than a substandard picture. The LT150 has a fantastic picture, period. The brightness is just about perfect for proper low-light viewing... my LP350 is almost too bright, but I can't watch it with ambient either so I prefer the LT150.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 425z and am quite happy. Very little info about this in HT action. I wanted something new and only had 1500. Cut my choices to this and only this is in the price range. Was expecting sub par preformance but i think it looks great compared to my 32". I get rainbows but they only get distracting on B/W (it'll suck when citizen kane comes out). Just using S video input. I think when i sell it for a better one I'll get my money's worth when reselling it.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
The amount of light output from the LT150 is optimal for home theater. Among it's other attributes is color saturation which is on a par with my CRT and DILA projectors.

It expectedly, like all digital projectors (at least the affordable ones), falls a little short on black level and color accuracy. Efforts are already under way to attempt to remedy this. If these efforts are successful I'll be keeping this one for a long time.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 08-12-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.