AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found it at a used furniture store, that was going out of business. They had it marked at $398. I asked my wife to go find someone to ask what they would really take for it, while I guarded it like a pit bull. When she returned with someone they hardly finished saying they would go as low as 150 bucks, before I had my debit card out!

I'm thrilled with it, and had to share!

http://www.theamax.homestead.com/holding\\candy.jpg

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Wonderful!!!! I am very jealous! It looks like your concession employee lost their head due to the excitement.:D

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Adam,

HAH! I would've given them $160! Too bad , their loss!

:D

Actually, that's a great deal. Funny thing is my wife hit a couple "flea shoppes" and the Salvation Army store looking for such a display case. No luck. Except that the owner of one flea shoppe told my wife to make an offer on one of currently occupied showcases....I didn't bother..as most of them were junk and his prices on the "knick-knacks" were ridiculous! I am just gonna build mine starting later today.

Just for a FYI. I did plenty of Ebay surfing yesterday for such cases and found AWESOME deals in the New England states areas! Just do a search for SHOWCASE DISPLAY or GLASS DISPLAY CASE, etc.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Randy,

Yeah I was thinking about sticking a couple of low output fluorescents at the back, with some kind of diffuser screen. Of course I got the rope lights out and held them around the bottom edges, trying to get an idea.

What I really want to do is have the lights inside the counter triggered by an X-10 motion sensor set at the top of the stairs. That way when you open the door the lights kick on.

I'm also thinking about using a high gloss paint or laminate on it. Probably black. In the lobby area, I'm leaning to a color scheme with dark, warm gold walls and black for accents and trim. I have an old issue of AVI that had a feature on small rooms, I'd like to emulate.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
MAN, that is an awesome score!!!!i love it when i or someone else finds a great bargain..

brickie

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys,

That is one of the great things about AVS, seems like we all are actually happy when other people find/build something cool. Pretty neat vibe going on here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
One of the home theater magazines (sorry I don't remember - but Barnes and Noble had it) had a DIY candy case project. The parts were all either Lowe or Home Depot and it had a very reasonable price tag.

I can't nail someting in with a hammer, so it isn't for me, but if you are handy, check out the last month or so of issues from the various HT magazines.

Andy

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy in NYC
One of the home theater magazines (sorry I don't remember - but Barnes and Noble had it) had a DIY candy case project. The parts were all either Lowe or Home Depot and it had a very reasonable price tag.

I can't nail someting in with a hammer, so it isn't for me, but if you are handy, check out the last month or so of issues from the various HT magazines.

Andy
Andy that would be Home Theatre Builder Magazine. The DIY candy counter in HTB magazine is nowhere close to the coolness or functionality of the one lawdawg picked up for a song. I'm happy for him but pissed that I haven't come across a similar deal :mad:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
lawdawg,

Kewl$$$!!!

Looks great and great price!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.