AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

found two of these speakers[/URL] and they have to be at least 2-3 feet tall. On the outside they look to be in perfect shape. I want to try and use them with a modern stereo system or possibly connect them to my computer for fun.

Would you know of any amp's or tools that I could use to try and use these with my computer for fun?

While looking at the eBay page linked from one of the comments from reddit it seems that they require a wattage of at least 20 for moderately good sound.

Also, in order to use them with a modern stereo system would I be able to just connect black to the C toggle and red to the A-B toggle?

http://www.reddit.com/tb/1cic60 >>> Link to reddit where I had another discussion going

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Plenty of ways to hook those speakers up depending on whether you want a compact setup that can fit on a typical computer desk or integrate a receiver into the mix.

I would just get some bare speaker wire that is at least 16 gauge or preferably 12 gauge and solder some spade connectors to one end of the cable for each speaker. You can just connect the bare wire ends to whatever power source you get and connect the spade ends to the A and B+C terminals on the speakers. Leave the shunt installed between the B+C terminals. That makes it a full-range speaker.

BLACK to the A terminal and RED to the B+C terminal.

As for power. A cheap receiver should work OK. I'm assuming those speakers are rated 16 Ohm. Most receivers/amps are rated at 8 Ohms, so you'll have to account for that when picking out an amp or receiver. Any low to mid-range Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc. will do but look for one that is rated at least 90 watts x 2 since you are using 16 Ohm speakers. Accessories4less has receivers starting at $200 with decent ones going for about $400.

If you want a compact power source for a computer or similar, then take a look at something like the Emotiva mini-X a-100. This is a small amp with a gain knob on the front of it. This would be ideal since you can connect a computer directly to it and then run speaker wires to the speakers. If the $220 is more than you want to pay, then search for PA amps on Musician's Friend or similar site. You can get a Crown X1000 for around $200 which should give you a solid 100 watts x 2 at 16 Ohm. The Emotiva mini-X would be good for about 25-30 watts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!

I just have a few more questions for you. I always like to make sure EVERYTHING is in place and I understand it all before I go forward with something.

Out of curiosity, how were these speakers back then?

If I went with the Emotive model (or similar ones) just a few questions about the setup.

Would i connect the red-wire to the bridge between the b_c terminal

Would I have to get a RCA-Headphone converter for the input into the WHITE-RED inputs, correct?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkara  /t/1468664/found-some-of-my-fathers...-for-use-with-modern-technology#post_23218432

Thanks for the info!

I just have a few more questions for you. I always like to make sure EVERYTHING is in place and I understand it all before I go forward with something.

Out of curiosity, how were these speakers back then?

If I went with the Emotive model (or similar ones) just a few questions about the setup.

Would i connect the red-wire to the bridge between the b_c terminal

Would I have to get a RCA-Headphone converter for the input into the WHITE-RED inputs, correct?

You would just need to use ONE of the nuts on the B_C terminal. The shunt between them would remain connected.

This is what a spade connector looks like.

It is possible that you can find these at a local electronics hobby store or even places like Lowes or Home Depot. I know they carry speaker wire and banana plugs. Not sure about spade connectors though.

In order to go from a typical computer output, which is usually 3.5mm line-level stereo, you would need something like this.

or

You would then use any length of RCA cable to connect to the amp. You can also get 3.5mm stereo to L/R RCA cables for a cleaner connection. All of this stuff should be available at Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

As far as connecting headphones to the amp, you'll need a headphone pre-amp and you would use the RCA OUTPUT on the back of the mini-X. If you decide to put a DAC between the computer and amp, then most of those come with a headphone pre-amp. Of course, you could always use the front audio jack found on most PCs these days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts