Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp...

I've been looking for the last 3 days for the ultimate HTPC case.

Here's the link translated to English:

720AB HTPC ATX Desktop Case

It appears to be sold out due to high demand in Europe. I translated the cost do US dollars and it turns out to be $115.14.

The best feature of this desktop atx case is that it is black and has a sliding door to hide the drives making it a very attractive looking case.

Well if anyone else has info on where I can obtain this case I'd appreciate it. PM me.

Thanks!

Obsidience

·
Registered
514 Posts
This case looks like a step in the right direction. However, I suspect that the front is still plastic...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Obsdience,

The solution that you crave should be ready in a few weeks. I have been working with a case manufacturer for the last 2 months. The solution looks almost exactly like the one in your link except that the footprint's a bit larger, it being a 4U rack mount. But it's a totally aluminum solution, right down to the flip-open door. It's similar to the one that I posted a while back in the Antec case thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=4

To view the link, you may need to retype the address. The actual product has already changed a bit. I'm trying to get the case ready within the next 1 or 2 weeks. I will post more information in the next few days.

Thanks!

Nick

·
Registered
471 Posts
Oohh! Another aluminium black case project! cool!

However, my dream case is a 2U case with only a slot loading dvd drive. No diskette drive, no second cdrom slot. But a nice display with room for a large 4x40 VFD.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here are some engineering drawings of the case. It's mostly finalized. Right now we're looking at a brushed aluminum finish.

I'm still working on getting the actual photos. Once I get them, I'll put them up.

Thanks!

Nick

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Obsedience,

Got that link from my friend Oliver Klohs in Germany: it will probably be my backup HTPC case, the primary one being an Antec KS-780B courtesy of another forum member Leszek, with a Keith "A Beer" fascia special.

Sure, the front is plastic, but at least it hides the uglies, and pops open to reveal quite a host of convenient features. Funny thing though, it costs 50% more than the same item in another color - must be the black gold they use in the paint? ;)

If you do decide to order one, make sure you look into their special HTPC soundproofing add-on kit, at an additional cost. It doesn't show up in the cart when you make the purchase, so you will probably have to e-mail them about it. Should you find out more, be sure to post here so that we don't all ask them the same questions over and over again.

Cheers,

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have this case. At the time I got it it was only available in the grey version.

Although it is slightly nicer looking it still looks pretty much like a normal PC in real life. Too much plastic to make it look like AV equipment.

This is the case Noise Control delivers with added sound damping material and powersupply. I got mine through them.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Alex

Those links seem interesting, but for local customers. Purchasing a heavy item from overseas is a different story altogether. So I hope that North American forum members will forgive the slightly biased postings about products available in Europe, excluding possibly better ones in the US: we don't really have access to them in any reasonable way. Also, I would strongly advise against anyone in Europe trying to buy a case from Directron. Here's a brief account of my experience with them:

:(

I spent 2 weeks of e-mails back and forth to Jason in their sales department. First they refused to sell as shipping would be too expensive. They said they didn't ship any other way than UPS (United Parcel Service). When I pointed out that their shipping policy clearly states that they ship by the United States Postal Service (USPS), they reluctantly agreed. I sent them the internet link for Economy surface Parcel post shipping, and they replied with a "UPS" shipping quote of $180. Then I sent them the addresses of all the Post Office branches within 5 miles of their location, and they said their branch does not ship Economy Surface Rate. I contacted the Postmaster General's office in Washington DC to determine if this was possible, and they said it was not. Upon confronting them with this, they finally accepted to ship the way their shipping policiy states. However, although I am an American with a US Credit Card, Jason's Manager kindly intervened and refused to bill my payment to my credit card: I would have to cross town, pay high fees (about $60) to have an international money order sent to them. :eek:

And all this happened without them ever once checking if they actually had stock of the item. I discovered in parallel in the AVS forum that although their website showed it was in stock, they no longer even had the Antec KS-780. In the time this took, most US retailers had sold off their remaining inventory. If a fellow forum member, Leszek, hadn't rescued me thanks to his contacts in Canada, there never would have been a custom A Beer 780B in my home theater. :) (Thanks Leszek!)

Cheers,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.