AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I posted this in the LCD display forum but decided to post it over for maybe some different opinions since a plasma is involved.

"Hey guys,

I have a bonus program through work and I have a choice of 4 tvs. They do not give the model numbers but by plugging descriptions into google I think I have narrowed down the model numbers to the brands. Any input would be appreciated. I am not a die-hard movie watcher but I do play xbox 360 and watch sports. I currently have two 32" sharps that I won last year. The new tv will be the main tv in my living room. Here are the tvs that I believe are my choices

Plasma:

samsung PN50B550

Lcds:

sony bravia 46s5100

samsung ln46b550

sharp aquos lc46e77u (questionable on model number?)

So, those are the panels. Once again, thanks for any input"

·
Registered
138 Posts
Go to a nearby retailer and see what you think. Try to find one that uses good quality source material that will show you how the panels can really perform.

To me, plasma has a smoothness and richness that LCD can't quite duplicate. Keep in mind the viewing angle issues with LCD as well.

Read some professional reviews, check them out, and trust yourself.

·
Registered
589 Posts
What about the Panasonic G10/V10 or Kuro 500M?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently I have another option as well for tv choices, the TC-P46G10

so that would make my choices look like

Plasma:

samsung PN50B550

panasonic TC-P46G10

Lcds:

sony bravia 46s5100

samsung ln46b550

sharp aquos lc46e77u

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I would go with the Plasma first.

Since you said you like games and movies. that type of media with motion will be better on the Plasma.

With the LCD's your motion resolution is going to be very bad. You can cheat the motion on the LCD's with interpolation and other ways of artificially changing the content though.

But if you are the type who likes your movies to look like movies instead of a bad home camcorder, and does not like artificial looking motion, and hates motion artfacts , then the Plasma would be your better bet.

Plasmas are simply better for motion. LCD's were not created for video purposes. they were created for static text like computer GUIs.

If you decide against the plasma and get an lcd,

I would get the Sony first.

Then the sammy.

The Sharp should definitly be the last choice IMO. Sharp has not been known for good picture quality compared to its competitors.

these are just my opinions.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellwstang21 /forum/post/17006179

Apparently I have another option as well for tv choices, the TC-P46G10

The panny would be the logical choice then.

·
Registered
15,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellwstang21 /forum/post/17007893

I guess my only concerns would be glare since it will be my main tv in the living room and with burn in from gaming? I know that these are not the top of the line tvs by any means....

Then LCD may be your better choice.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Just get a damn plasma. Panny, sammy, or pioney

What kind of response did you expect from the plasma forums.

Glare worries...meh.....not all lcd's are matte, some glare worse than some plasmas

Burn-in worries....meh....just don't abuse it and your fine

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The ambient light levels and the locations of the light sources (windows and lamps) determines how much glare you have. Truthfully though in about 60% of the cases, you are free to indulge your preference for Plasma or LCD. In about the 20% darkest rooms, Plasmas are the better choice. In the 20% or so brightest rooms, LCDs are the better choice.

Anybody who simply reccomends one technology or the other without bothering to find out what your particular room lighting is like, is just ignorant or (worse yet) a fanboy of one technology or the other. Such advice should be disregarded.

If you have a particularly light or dark viewing room, you should try to see examples of the same model HDTV under similar lighting conditions. Plasmas are available with anti-glare glass coatings which don't help suppress glass reflections much. LCDs are available with glossy finishes which suffer from reflections as badly as do plasmas.

Ambient light will always get reflected off the screen and it degrades the images on the screen. The reflections are either specular reflections (mirror images) or diffuse reflections (which make the black image areas look gray). For best viewing, you match the screen finish to the ambient lighting, using clearer screens in darker rooms, and increasing the surface texture as light increases, all the way to a full matte finish in sunlit rooms. Make a mistake here and you end up viewing a dim and washed out plasma in a bright sunlit room, complete with reflections, or noticing all the light being diffused from the dark areas of an LCD image in a dark room.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Unless you plan on putting the TV in a room with a ridiculous amount of light,

the panny will be just fine.

A matte screen LCD may help you a little in that situation, but thats only if you sit dead center and dont tilt your head in either direction. Because if you do, any benefit you thought you had is all gone. especially on a led based LCD.

And contrary to what someone who have never owned both and put them thru the tests in their own home will tell you, Motion will be better on the plasma, film will be better, Gaming will be better because of the lack of lag, contrast will be higher during regular content because Plasma does not need backlighting like LCD does (aka no bloom/backlight bleed-over), screen uniformity will be much better (no dark corners or hot-spots), there will be less ghosting/blurry movement,etc.etc.etc.

If your worried about burn-in, don't. Unless you plan on letting a static image sit there for days on the screen. And if your worried about being forgetful and accidentally doing that, then just turn the "no activity off" feature on. This will power the TV off when there is no activity. so no worries.

If you plan on putting the TV in front of giant open windows, then by all means get the LCD. But make sure its matte (not sonys semi-gloss).

But even with the Matte LCD, you will still get glare and your blacks will suffer. Matte screens act like a diffuser and absorb light and spread it thru the entirety of the screen instead of reflecting it off. This leads to a dull lifeless image and produces a paper-like 2-d image instead of a 3-d like image.

Colors will suffer.

The best advise I can give is to never put any tv (lcd,plasma,crt,etc) in front of large windows.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
That was a perfect example of a rant from a fan of one technology. In fact such fans will adamantly deny the merits of the panel they don't favor, and exagerate the flaws of one technology vs. the other. Nor will they ever admit that with modern LCD and plasma designs, there are very minor video quality differences between the two flat panels.

Like I said before, there is about a 20% chance that a Plasma or LCD is not a good match for any given room. Put another way, you could choose the set that pleases you, and there is roughly speaking a 4 out of 5 chance that it will work well there.

Let you eyes be the basis for choosing the set you like.

·
Registered
497 Posts
well people still buy more lcds then plasma,despite lcds being priced higher,so i guess they like the picture quality of the lcds ,its that simple.i mean if lcds realy suck like the way pro plasma/fanboys say,then lcds should have been in the history books by now,the fact is people don't care or get distracted by the minor flaws of lcds which i guess is only seen by plasma fanboys,on the other hand flaws of plasmas is taking a toll on the sales.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts