AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Here are my JETI values from last night. I use Ted's 4-color, 100% amplitude test patterns. The sync number is high, and rather unusual, if you're accustomed to normal refresh rates of 60, 120, etc., but the JETI is very consistent with these numbers, so I trust the readings.
Can you upload the JETI LiVAl measurement file? Use File -> Save, and highlight the 4 measurements. It will a *.spc file.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Ted, how do I attach x.spc file?
Click to AVS Button 'Go Advanced' and you will see there button for attachment. Zip and upload the file.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Here are my JETI values from last night. I use Ted's 4-color, 100% amplitude test patterns. The sync number is high, and rather unusual, if you're accustomed to normal refresh rates of 60, 120, etc., but the JETI is very consistent with these numbers, so I trust the readings.
Which was your backlight setting when you scanned for refresh rate?

There exist displays where the real display frequency is the video frequency or multiples of it, but there exist also displays where the measured frequency is fully independent from the video frequency, the backlight can have an arbitrary value, like 574.78 MHz you measured.

When you are checking frequency syncing using a 100% White pattern with LED-LCD, its better to set the backlight to middle position. If the max backlight value is 20 then set to 10 etc. (to have Pulse-width modulation 'PWM' 50% duty cycle on/off state)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
@ConnecTEDDD or others familiar with LightSpace

Chad B is going to profile his Spectro with my i1Display Pro tonight for Calman use and hopefully LightSpace as well.

Any issue with x,y,Y measurements from both meters being taken outside of Lightspace and then being manually entered/saved/loaded via the meter profile creator on www.displaycalibrationtools.com ?

·
Registered
631 Posts

Chad B is going to profile his Spectro with my i1Display Pro tonight for Calman use and hopefully LightSpace as well.

Any issue with x,y,Y measurements from both meters being taken outside of Lightspace and then being manually entered/saved/loaded via the meter profile creator on www.displaycalibrationtools.com ?

There is no issue and it's working flawlessly I used the same method :)

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

You can recommend to Chad B to install LightSpace DPS to his notebook (free license which works with all meters) and perform from inside LightSpace the meter profiling (set meter settings first and then click 'Read All'), because LightSpace has different modes to operate i1Display PRO (I mean LightSpace use official X-Rite SDK while CalMAN use custom code and not X-Rite SDK, so there differences in exposure and sync modes), so you have have small differences.

After the end, to export the 2 meter profile files from LightSpace and provide them to you.

BlackJoker can tell you more details about this if he has performed that comparison.

But you if you test your i1Display PRO by measuring the same patches (use my disk for example) from CalMAN and LightSpace and see that the meter report the same numbers, then the above procedure is not required.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Great, now we will wait the same file to be uploaded from John.
Here are my readings with the jeti 1501 at 4ft 9 inches from my 55A9F screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
There is no issue and it's working flawlessly I used the same method :)
You can recommend to Chad B to install LightSpace DPS to his notebook (free license which works with all meters) and perform from inside LightSpace the meter profiling (set meter settings first and then click 'Read All'), because LightSpace has different modes to operate i1Display PRO (I mean LightSpace use official X-Rite SDK while CalMAN use custom code and not X-Rite SDK, so there differences in exposure and sync modes), so you have have small differences.

After the end, to export the 2 meter profile files from LightSpace and provide them to you.

BlackJoker can tell you more details about this if he has performed that comparison.

But you if you test your i1Display PRO by measuring the same patches (use my disk for example) from CalMAN and LightSpace and see that the meter report the same numbers, then the above procedure is not required.
Thanks guys.

In a previous quick email exchange with Chads assistant, he does not sue LightSpace so for simplicity sake measuring outside of LS and manually entering is probably the best approach.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Which was your backlight setting when you scanned for refresh rate?

There exist displays where the real display frequency is the video frequency or multiples of it, but there exist also displays where the measured frequency is fully independent from the video frequency, the backlight can have an arbitrary value, like 574.78 MHz you measured.

When you are checking frequency syncing using a 100% White pattern with LED-LCD, its better to set the backlight to middle position. If the max backlight value is 20 then set to 10 etc. (to have Pulse-width modulation 'PWM' 50% duty cycle on/off state)

The Z9D max brightness is 50. I have it on 5 (~129 nits) for profiling. I will try 25.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Sync is the same for 5 and 25 brightness setting. I tried it with 100% Amp pattern that you have and 100% white patch in 11-point grayscale.
I sent you a PM

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
LiVal values attached!
Here are my readings with the jeti 1501 at 4ft 9 inches from my 55A9F screen.
Look what is happening...

Four Color Matrix Procedure, measure W,R,G,B and calculate a 3x3 XYZ matrix. This matrix can be loaded inside your Klein for example (when you use ChromaSurf) or be 'software' loaded from LightSpace/CalMAN etc. when you will create that table using each software.

At this stage, the correction is for each colorimeter filters, so when you display and measure a White patch with a loaded correction, with simple words the R+G+B filter offsets are combined to give you the White correction offset. (basically the 3x3 table is active all the time, just I give an example)

All these work great with display with 3 subpixels (since the method developed with RGB displays), since when the panel will want to give you 100% White, it will light-up RGB subpixels...when you display a native blue, only the blue light-up....native red, only red light up etc.

With WRGB, we have a problem, because the W subpixel can light up when you display W or R or G or B, so this breaks the method. When you display White patch, 2 or 3 subpixels of 4 can light-up, the same can happen when you will display a primary.

For that reason I asked you to post these graphs.

Looking the Sony LCD (RGB) the colored spectra is the White measurement, while the wireframe is R+G+B spectral curves combined:

But to Sony OLED (WRGB) you see that there deviations between spectra of White spectra (colorful) vs. R+G+B (wireframes):

So from that difference you will have somewhere an error after meter profiling.

It has to do with the brand/model of the WRGB OLED you will measure where you will have the error. To some models you get error in Green Y, to other model to Red Y (more popular error), with LG 2016 OLED models you have no problem (not only to SDR but you have no problem with meter profiling verification if you try HDR meter profiling using 100% Luminance patterns also).

See an example with SDR verification here:

...and HDR verification here:

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Look what is happening...

Four Color Matrix Procedure, measure W,R,G,B and calculate a 3x3 XYZ matrix. This matrix can be loaded inside your Klein for example (when you use ChromaSurf) or be 'software' loaded from LightSpace/CalMAN etc. when you will create that table using each software.

At this stage, the correction is for each colorimeter filters, so when you display and measure a White patch with a loaded correction, with simple words the R+G+B filter offsets are combined to give you the White correction offset. (basically the 3x3 table is active all the time, just I give an example)

All these work great with display with 3 subpixels (since the method developed with RGB displays), since when the panel will want to give you 100% White, it will light-up RGB subpixels...when you display a native blue, only the blue light-up....native red, only red light up etc.

With WRGB, we have a problem, because the W subpixel can light up when you display W or R or G or B, so this breaks the method. When you display White patch, 2 or 3 subpixels of 4 can light-up, the same can happen when you will display a primary.

For that reason I asked you to post these graphs.

Looking the Sony LCD (RGB) the colored spectra is the White measurement, while the wireframe is R+G+B spectral curves combined:

But to Sony OLED (WRGB) you see that there deviations between spectra of White spectra (colorful) vs. R+G+B (wireframes):

So from that difference you will have somewhere an error after meter profiling.

It has to do with the brand/model of the WRGB OLED you will measure where you will have the error. To some models you get error in Green Y, to other model to Red Y (more popular error), with LG 2016 OLED models you have no problem (not only to SDR but you have no problem with meter profiling verification if you try HDR meter profiling using 100% Luminance patterns also).
Excellent detective work, makes sense! Here is my Jeti spectral for my A9F using the i1Pro2 then the Jeti

Attachments

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Excellent detective work, makes sense! Here is my Jeti spectral for my A9F using the i1Pro2 then the Jeti
When you compare 2x SPD with CalMAN, you have disable auto-axis of chart and set manual axis.

Also CalMAN is not so good for that comparison because its generating that blocky' curve (because of 10nm i1PRO res).

Use HCFR or DisplayCAL to get better SPD curves.

41 - 60 of 310 Posts