AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems as if Sony will have four different 34" widescreen televisions on the market sometime this summer (2003).

The new models are:

KV-34HS510

KV-34XBR910

and the current (or older models) are:

34XBR2

34XBR800

Here is what I learned about the new ones:

The KV-34HS510 will be available in August -- $2,000.

The KV-34XBR910 will be available in July -- $2,500

What will Sony do with the 34XBR2 and the 34XBR800?

The 34XBR2 sells for about $3,999, and it has the HD tuner. The other three TVs are HD ready, lacking the HD tuner.

The 34XBR800 sells for about $2,200. List price is $2,500.

The KV-34XBR910 should be the top of the line set, given its new features:

"Created especially for displaying optimum high resolution pictures like high-definition broadcasts, the new Super Fine Pitchâ„¢ CRT features a proprietary Super Fine Pitch aperture grill with a 65 percent increase in the number of vertical "slits," which improves image resolution, for crisp, brilliant, high-quality picture reproduction from corner to corner. Together with a new High Focus electron gun and high intensity luminescent phosphor, the Super Fine Pitch CRT delivers exceptional picture depth. The improvement is immediately noticeable, with no visible vertical lines on the screen."

I'm curious as to what Sony will do with the 34XBR2 and the 34XBR800?

Will they get cheaper?

p.s. I wish for the following: I want 2 DVI inputs on the new generation of televisions. I sent an email to Sony about this, but I never got an answer. I may need DVI for my HD sat boxes, and maybe HD-DVD. Two DVI inputs would be great.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Pocatello

Thanks for the post. I didn't know about the 34hs510 but going to the website at http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...gAAAD0T4GEld3v it sure looks like the 34xbr800 doesn't it?

If this is Sony's entry level 34" HDTV at MSRP of $2k then it looks like prices continue to come down to get a really fine 34" HDTV. The website wouldn't let me do a direct comparison to the 34xbr800 and the 34hs510 manual is not online yet. Although there is no mention of the superfine pitch control CRT (the main upgrade in the 910), the hs510 has a DVI port and seems like a 34xbr800 that is $500 cheaper MSRP. If folks are still buying the 34xbr800, then maybe they can explain why it is a better value than the 34hs510?

The 34xbr2 is still on the website but I have not seen them in the newspaper sales since the 34xbr800 came out last summer. I can't imagine paying $1500 more for this set with a tuner but no DVI port. Hope anyone buying it is getting a good deal. The MSRP of the 910 should be about the same as the 800 but the video will be better. Soon, the xbr800 and xbr2 should rest in peace as important TVs that are no longer state-of-the-art. Having said that, I have been very happy with the 34xbr800 I bought last August and look forward to hooking up a DVI DVD player sometime later this year.

Rick

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The KV-34HS510 will be available in August -- $2,000

It is available now and is the same as the 34 800, maybe the 910 will have a early release

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
They've already had several flavors of 36" HDTV for a while, with exactly the same ending numbers. It looks as if the final numbers tell you something about the technicalities of the TV, but I wonder what...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I believe the KV-34XBR910 Super Fine Pitch(due out in July '03) is the upgrade for the KV-34XBR800. A 30" screen will also be available. If you decide you don't want the 910, you should be able to get a huge deal on the older 800's for a short time.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a search at google, and found this cached at sonystyle:

"Sony’s KV-34HS510 34-inch Hi -Scan 1080i™ Direct View TV is a pleasure to look at on and off. Its Two Tone Cosmetic Design sets the stage for incredible performance as features enable the best picture quality, high definition television connectivity, and much more… Features include the HD Detailer™ Wideband Video Amplifier, DRC™ Digital Reality Creation™ MultiFunction Circuitry, CineMotion™ Reverse 3-2 Pulldown, ClearEdge VM™ (Wideband Velocity Modulation Scanning), Wide Modes, and the DVI-HDTV Interface. Also utilize Memory Stick® Media Playback (JPEG)*, Twin-View™ Two Tuner Picture and Picture, and the Scrolling Channel Index™ System. Widen your view with the KV-34HS510"

pre order now for $1,999 ; but it no longer appears at their site.

"PreOrder Now!

$ 1,999.99"

None of the online sites I visited had it in stock.

DNINE, are you sure it is currently available?

Anyone know the differences between the KV-34HS510 and the XBR800?

·
Registered
31 Posts
don't you think the 34" for widescreen looks smaller? i saw the 34" widescreen TVs and not happy with the vertical hight. in my point of view, if I am going for widescreen, I will go with 47" and up. what do you guys say? i don't have the widescren yet, waiting for new models to come so that the price may drop.

macsp

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
DNINE, are you sure it is currently available

GOODGUYS.COM HAS HS 32510 AND 34510,SOMEONE POSTED HE BOUGHT

32 510 FROM THEM I WENT TO THERE SITE AND THEY HAVE BOTH IN STOCK

(I THINK ITS BECAUSE THERE ON THE WEST COAST SO THEY JUST GOT THEM A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO)

SORRY ABOUT CAPS.

$1299 for 32510 $1999 for 34510 less ten percent no tax including shipping:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to the best buy site and I did not find any 30" or 34" inch Sony HDTVs. I checked here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/HomeAudioVide...cat=24&scat=26

and here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/HomeAudioVide...t=24&scat=1470

Maybe they only have it available in their brick and mortar stores?

I checked at Bizrate.com and found that J&R is allowing you to pre-order the KV-34HS510 for $2k. They seem to have their facts wrong because the 34" TV is referred to as a 36" 4:3 !

"J&R ITEM # SON KV34HS510

MFR. PART # KV-34HS510

SONY KV-34HS510 – This 36-inch diagonal FD Trinitron® WEGA Hi-Scan™ TV combines sleek WEGA design with key performance innovations.

Hi-Scan 1080i Display"

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...119&showcase=t

Bizrate also had a link to Sony Style, but it is out of stock. At least they referred to it as a 34" TV.

I can't find it for sale anywhere on the internet.

The only exterior difference between the 34HS510 and the 34XBR910 is that the 910 comes in a black finish instead of the silver. I prefer black.

·
Registered
204 Posts
For what it's worth, Best Buy doesn't seem to stock the 34XBR800 in either B&M or online stores. Circuit City does however.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Best Buy and Sears are not authorized to carry Sony XBR models, they carry the cheaper HS, etc. models only. Only the higher-end A/V stores like Circuit City, Good Guys, Tweeter, and so on carry the XBRs.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good Guys!

Here is a link:

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.a...6&catky=733455

$1,999 Free shipping, no sales tax

Inputs and Outputs

Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Input: 2 Rear

Composite Input: 1 Front/3 Rear

DVI-HDTV Interface: 1 Rear

S Video (With Detection): 1 Front/2 Rear

Control S: 1 Rear

Audio Out: 1 Rear

Monitor: 1 Rear

Dimensions: 39.25" W x 24.5" H x 23.4" D

Weight: 206 lbs.

Your Total Shipping Cost FREE!

INSTANT DISCOUNT: - $ 199.99

Order Total: $ 1800.00

With the 10% discount: only $1,800

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, so if the following is a guideline for the future:

The KV-34HS510 will be available in August -- $2,000.

The KV-34XBR910 will be available in July -- $2,500

and the KV-34HS510 is available today, May 1, 2003; then the KV-34XBR910 should have been available on April 1, 2003 (April Fool's Day!).

Any guesses on when the KV-34XBR910 will be available?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Possible difference betweeen 800 and 510? The XBR usually has a two year warranty and the 500 series only has one. Does anyone know if this is the case for these two models? Should this make any difference? How much is the extra year worth?

Art in Seattle

·
Registered
573 Posts
Art

This is from the 34hs510 warranty. You can link to this on the Sony website link found in the second post above and then click on warranty:

Quote:
SONY ELECTRONICS INC. ("SONY") warrants this Product (including any accessories) against defect in material or workmanship, subject to any conditions set forth as follows:

1. LABOR: For a period of ninety (90) days from the date of purchase, if this Product is determined to be defective, SONY will repair or replace the Product, at its option, at no charge, or pay the labor charges to any SONY authorized service facility. After the warranty period, you must pay for all labor charges.

2. PARTS: In addition, SONY will supply, at no charge, new or rebuilt replacements in exchange for defective parts for a period of one (1) year (color picture tube - two (2)years). After ninety (90) days from the date of purchase, labor for removal and installation is available from Sony authorized service facilities or a SONY Service Center at your expense.
etc.

The 34xbr800 has a 2 year labor & parts guarantee when you track that down on the Sony website. Thanks for the tip. Does this mean that an extended warranty on the hs510 is relatively more valuable???

There have been posts on the differences between the 32hs500 and 32hv600 (which is very xbr like) but we will need to hear back from an owner to hear if the 34hs510 allows one as much control over DRC (line doubler) as the xbr800 (sounds like the 510 has no V1 circuitry) and if the picture is as good. For someone who doesn't want to spend $500 more for the 34xbr910, the 34hs510 sounds like it is worth checking out.

Rick

·
Registered
473 Posts
It's when I see crap like this that I understand why Sony's stock is in the crapper and at like a 10 year low. WTF are they doing charging THOUSANDS of dollars for 34 inch tvs. They're pricing themselves right out of the market.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
OK, I copied all of the features listed at the website into two word-processing documents side-by-side, and started deleting lines that described things I know they both have. Here's what's left...

From the HS510's feature list, and not the XBR800's:

Quote:
HD MicroFocus(tm) CRT's - By using an impregnated cathode and a denser phosphor layer, this CRT produces a 30% tighter beam spot compared to previous models.

Multi Image Driver (MID X) & Twin-View Two-Tuner Picture In Picture Circuitry - With Sony's Twin View 2 Tuner Picture and Picture you can watch 2 full motion pictures side by side. Together, Twin View and Sony's proprietary Multi Image Driver X Circuitry allows you to view analog along side of HDTV at the same time on the same screen. Also, with MID X both picture images are improved to 480 progressive image quality.

HD Detailer Wideband Video Amplifier
I don't know what that last one means, but I grouped it with the above because it seemed like it might be a relevant feature that makes the images you see on this thing BETTER than on the XBR800. Here are a few video-related features that only appeared on the HS510's list, but seem to describe things the XBR800 has anyway; I'm not sure we can count these as features unique to the new TV, but I wasn't 100% certain, so I couldn't delete these lines from the list...

Quote:
3 D Digital Comb Filter

ClearEdge VM (Wideband Velocity Modulation Scanning)

Vertical Center Adjustment
I'm 99 & 44 100ths percent sure that first one is a feature of the XBR800 as well, just not a listed one for whatever reason. (The XBR800's feature list is shorter due to several omissions of features I know it has; these features often appeared on the HS510's list anyway.) The last one sounds like it would refer to scrolling the image up and down when in Zoom or Wide Zoom mode, which I know the XBR800 can do, but maybe it means something else. The XBR800 does also have scan velocity modulation, but it's not listed on the website, so I couldn't check on whether that trademarked name for it on the HS510 might indicate that this one has a newer, improved version of that feature.

Now to move on from video-related features to others, again, starting with what's only on the HS510's list, not the XBR800's:

Quote:
Scrolling Channel Index System

Front Button Menu Control

TruSurround® SRS® Audio (15W x 2)

High Voltage Regulator
I don't know what that first item is, but the absence of the second from the XBR800 has been lamented in one thread here. The third represents a different speaker configuration. I don't have the actual info on the XBR800 handy, but I remember someone else here saying that it was something like 7.5-watt or 10-watt side speakers and 25-watt center, even though I can't see where the center subwoofer would be. This is more total wattage than the HS510, but the power's not as distributed toward the sides, which might not be as good for sound imaging. Or, then again, TruSurround® might just be a new name for the XBR800's feature called Simulated Surround Sound, which is NOT listed among the HS510's feaures. And what is the fourth item above, a built-in surge protector?

The last two different features of the HS510 are Two Tone Cosmetic Design (does that mean it looks more like the XBR2?) as opposed to the XBR800's all silver finish, and Steady Sound Automatic Volume Control With BBE® Audio Effect. The XBR800 does have Steady Sound Automatic Volume Control but I have to take it as meaningful that the XBR800's page lists this feature and doesn't mention the "BBE® Audio Effect", whatever that is.

So now you might be wondering what the XBR800 has that the HS510 doesn't, other than the higher price tag and better appearance with its solid silver finish. ;) Well, it's a shorter list than the HS510's was...

Quote:
XDS Banner

Demo Mode

Magnetic Quadra Pole

Auto 16:9 Enhanced Mode

RF Input: 2 Rear

Speakers On/Off
What are the first three, and what can the fourth one mean on a 16:9 tube? (That they copied and pasted the list from the 36HS510's page? :D)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.