AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard of people having more than two subs for thier home theater systems, however to date I have not read anything showing how to install more than two subs. Does anybody know how to install multiple subs?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Someone can correct me if I am wrong as I have never done this, but you just use two additional Y connection cables off of the original Y cable to split the first RCA out from your LFE on your receiver.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
And unless you have the proper tools to measure the freq reponse in your room, you may create more problems rather than fix some. It is not an easy task to properly setup that many subwoofers.

·
Registered
415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsully444 /forum/post/12867173

Someone can correct me if I am wrong as I have never done this, but you just use two additional Y connection cables off of the original Y cable to split the first RCA out from your LFE on your receiver.

Just do this if you can't daisy-chain them together (i.e. the subs have no input and output at line level). You'll probably also want to raise the sub out level on the AVR a few dBs, to make sure that a strong enough signal gets through for the sub's auto on features.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Or you can use a Velodyne SMS-1 which gives you 3 sub connections. You can use a splitter on one of the connections and that would give you 4. Plus it allows you configure the LFE etc.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp /forum/post/12867325

Or you can use a Velodyne SMS-1 which gives you 3 sub connections. You can use a splitter on one of the connections and that would give you 4. Plus it allows you configure the LFE etc.

Yes, but this configuration will not handle that phase issues that arise with more than one sub.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have an eD A5 on order. Once I receive it I want to attempt to use it with another low end different brand sub. But the receiver and each sub have obl y one connection. How to connect them to take adavange of both subs?

I think this issue deserve a thread that people will read frequently.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD /forum/post/12922012

I have an eD A5 on order. Once I receive it I want to attempt to use it with another low end different brand sub. But the receiver and each sub have obl y one connection. How to connect them to take adavange of both subs?

Does the sub have an LFE input on it? The old one?

If it does, there's an LFE OUT right next to the LFE IN on the LT/550

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD /forum/post/12922012

Just use a splitter from the subwoofer output on the receiver.

You will need to dial in the phase on each sub to get the proper response.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp /forum/post/12922086

Does the sub have an LFE input on it? The old one?

If it does, there's an LFE OUT right next to the LFE IN on the LT/550

There is only one input line which takes in a RCA cable from the receiver. Is that good to connect to the LFE OUT on the A5 LT/550?

The only other control is an output level. Nothing else except a power cord. It's a very simple sub from Onkyo HTIB.

Powered Subwoofer (SKW-520)

Type: Bass-reflex

Input sensitivity/impedance: 330 mV / 100 kΩ

Maximum output power: 220 W (Dynamic Power)

Frequency response: 25 Hz-150 Hz

Cabinet capacity: 1.35 cubic feet (38.5 L)

Dimensions (W × H × D): 10-13/16" × 20-3/8" × 16-3/16"

(275 × 518 × 411 mm)

Weight: 30 lbs. (13.6 kg)

Drivers unit: 10 inch Cone Woofer

Power supply: AC 120 V, 60 Hz

Power consumption: 150 W

Other: Auto Standby function

jpmst3,There is no phase control on the old sub. And I am concerned that adding the old sub may do more bad than good. I do wish I can successfully use both.

Isn't that true that if use multiple subs they have to or better be exactly the same?

Thanks. Guys.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Basically, what I was suggesting is that instead of getting a y-splitter, you could just get a second cable.

Connect the Subwoofer out from the receiver to the LFE IN on the A5-350.

Connect the LFE OUT on the A5-350 to the LFE IN on the current sub.

Basically a pass thru which will allow you to power both.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am reluctant to use Y-splitter. I don't know on audio Y-splitter but the video Y-splitter will make the signal weaker by half, at least for analog video signals. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD /forum/post/0

jpmst3,There is no phase control on the old sub. And I am concerned that adding the old sub may do more bad than good. I do wish I can successfully use both. Isn't that true that if use multiple subs they have to or better be exactly the same?

Acoustical coupling is most beneficial if the subwoofers are identical. Using non-identical subwoofers can pose problems if the one overloads before the other. Even if you calibrate both subwoofers to the same level, one will reach compression levels earlier.

You will also experience phasing issues between both subwoofers given the non-identical FR.

--Regards,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts