AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Russound CAM6.6, all six zones are in use. In one zone, a great room, I'd like to add a second pair of in-ceiling speakers.

The pre-outs on Zone 1 & 2 are already connected to external amps for outdoor zones.

Current in-ceiling speakers are Monoprice 6.5", 60W nominal, 8 ohm. Would adding a second set of these to the zone be stupid?

If it's not completely out of the question, my next question is wiring - I think if I ran all four in parallel, the impedance would be reduced to 2 ohms, and the CAM6.6 will not be very happy. If I did a series/parallel configuration (left + & right - in parallel, left - wired to right +) I think the impedance would be 8 ohms, but running the wires for this configuration will not be easy (but not impossible).

Anyone ever tried this setup before? If so, how much does the performance/volume suffer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Russound dealer that I used (not local, as there are no local options) suggested that I upgrade to the newer C-series systems. MCA-C5, or MCA-C3 with A-BUS subzones. I realize I'll have to upgrade someday... but I'd rather not have to upgrade a controller and six keypads right now for two measly speakers...

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
The CAV recommends running the speakers in series, not parallel. I imagine the CAM is the same. I wired the speakers in my master bath in series and noticed no issues. Of course, I was not blasting it.

I think somebody on this site warned me about wiring in parallel. It will work but the amp heats up.. could damage something.

Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.