AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe nobody here has posted this yet. I see alot of posts on the quality of the picture and sound and you can't even see that some of the pitchers actually throw the ball twice on the same pitch.

I worked here in L.A. for 10 years in sound editing and looking for sync was one of the first steps taken to make sure the sound was married to the picture correctly before the picture editors started the edit.

Some of the camera's are not in sync with other camera's. I would guess about 6-10 frames out. When they switch from a side view to the centerfield view you can hear a distinct repeat in the audio and if they do it at the right moment, the pitcher will pitch twice on the same pitch or throw to first base twice. For those of you with Tivo, you can actually rewind and go to slow mo and witness this more easily. It actually happens every single time they switch to the centerfield camera so if you can pick something out distinct before the switch that appears in both shots , you will see the repeat. For those with good ears, you can hear the crowd noise repeat during the switch. The announcers are not tied to this camera switch, only the ambient mics switch with the cameras. A nice 5.1 set up is required to hear this. You could even try to turn off the center channel and listen to the left and rights only to make it easier to hear.

This was the same for both the ALCS and NLCS games. This seems very odd since both games are being done with two separate set ups. I guess they were able to repeat the mistake at both locations.

I do not know if this is the same on the SD broadcast as I have only seen the games in HD on D* to date. I will watch some on SD tonight to see if it is the same.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cyberdote

This was the same for both the ALCS and NLCS games. This seems very odd since both games are being done with two separate set ups. I guess they were able to repeat the mistake at both locations.

I do not know if this is the same on the SD broadcast as I have only seen the games in HD on D* to date. I will watch some on SD tonight to see if it is the same.
I thought everyone who got wednesday's HD game on D* didn't get thursday's HD game.

Edit: oh wait, I guess there may have been at least one report of someone getting games on both nights.

Are you saying LA got both games?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did get the Yankees/Red Sox on Wed. night and I got the Cards/Astros Thurs. night. I am in the L.A. area.

The question is, did anyone notice the sync problem when switching between cameras?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
Quote:
I can't believe nobody here has posted this yet....
Thanks for pointing this out; I'll look for it tonight.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Actually, I noticed lip sync issues on the pre game show last night. They were more pronounced from the LA feed.

What the OP is seeing I have yet to notice, but will have a look this evening.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I did notice it during one of the NLCS games (can't remember which). Once, there was at least 5 seconds of audio repeated, and I saw the same home run from two angles. It was too quick after the "live" home run to be an intentional replay.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:
The question is, did anyone notice the sync problem when switching between cameras?
Yes, I saw the same thing. I don't have Tivo so I never got a chance to slow it down, but I did noticed something funny when they switched from a side view of the pitcher to the center field view (like you described...you see the pitch leave the pitcher twice).

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
From a source that knows:

The poster is correct.... Camera 4, which is the centerfield camera that shoots most of the pitches is delayed approx 6 frames from the rest of the cameras because of the virtual ad insertion. It's always been 2-4 frames in SD, but that's not quite as noticeable. the audio is delayed based on tally information for that camera so bat cracks will match up. This director cuts everything very tight, which is why it's more noticeable than normal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
EDIT: above post beat me to the punch.

I definitely noticed this, as did colleague of mine watching in SD.

It also gives the impression that the announcers have slightly faster reaction times than I do.

I think I read in another topic that the chroma key insert of the ad behind the plate and the graphics for the exploding radar gun cause the delay. Perhaps it's more pronounced in HD becuase of the higher resolution image. The thing is, you'd think they could sync up all the other cameras with a similar delay. I think it's possible NESN does this in the regular season becuase their pregame show usually seems out of sync when the announcers are speaking from the booth. Essentially they sacrifice sync on the pregame to preserve it during the game.

-Devin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.