AVS Forum banner

Fox Blu-ray Discs - Go Bad?

23K views 124 replies 64 participants last post by  Bismarck440 
#1 ·
Greetings,

This morning I discovered that Alien vs. Predator (AVP) a disc that I have had for three or four years now which has played fine in the past no longer loads in any of my Blu-ray players (Oppo, PS3, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic).

In the Oppo it will get past the FBI warning but freezes at the menu. All of the other players report it as a bad or unsupported disc. Perplexed I reached for Speed, another Fox title released around the same time. The initial run of Speed on Blu-ray had problems but I have the reissued version which I have never had a problem with. Well it won't play either and reads like AVP.

I successfully loaded the following Fox titles released around the same time: Windtalkers, Men of honor, Fantastic Four and Flyboys. Thinking back I seem to recall AVP being a problematic disc and the Speed issues are well documented although with the reissue there have been fewer problems.

These discs are kept on a shelf, in their original cases away from sunlight, heat etc. I am wondering if the coating on these discs has deteriorated or something similar.

Anyone owning them for the same length of time care to give them a try and see if they play?

Regards,

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector /forum/post/19624854

Well, first there was laser disc rot...now maybe DVDs...this is not good news!!! If that is what's happening, there could go our collections.

Note, just bought Alien vs Predator BD yesterday. Did I just waste $10, we'll see.

Thansk Ralph for the heads up!!!

Greetings,

Don't jump to any conclusions. If you just bought AVP I would assume that it is a newer pressing (?) that SHOULD be fine. I have plenty of discs purchased around the same time period as these two that play perfectly fine so I don't think our collections are going to disintegrate.

I am hoping to hear from those who have had one or both for two to four years to see if their's are still working or not.

Regards,

Discussion starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/19625974

Can you see any discoloration on the data side near the hub of the disc? I've seen reports of issues with BD discs separating at the hub and/or developing some kind of rot near the hub.

Greetings,

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when I examined the discs but I will take a closer look and report back.

Regards,

Discussion starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy /forum/post/19625262

I bought AVP in 2007 I think, I just put it in the computer and it plays fine. I haven't tried it in my Blu-ray player because it is only connected to my projector and I don't feel like dealing with it right now. For what it's worth the advertising insert says copyright 2007, it has ads for The Simpsons, Fantastic 4, Independence Day, Cast Away and The Die Hard Collection on the flip-side.

Greetings,

Thanks for checking.

Regards,

Discussion starter · #21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD /forum/post/19629458

Does it make any difference if you clean the discs with warm water and mild detergent?

I have a suspicion that the cases outgas plasticiser or other chemicals and that these vapours deposit on the disc surface over time, interfering with the laser transmission.

Greetings,

I tried cleaning the discs to no avail. Examination doesn't reveal any obvious damage etc. I just ordered replacements from Amazon for $10 each. I am not interested in querying the studios at this point. If this occurs with any more of my discs then I will take it farther. I wanted to check in with folks here to see if anyone else experienced this as well as bring it to the attention of those that may not be aware of it.

Regards,

Discussion starter · #25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner /forum/post/19632499

Ralph,

I came across something interesting. I played Speed on my Panasonic BDT-300 and after the spinning dotted circles it went to the FBI Warning screen and I had green blotches all over. It kept playing with these green pixelated blotches. I than went to my living room setup and played it on my Oppo BDP-93. It loaded but skipped the FBI warning logos and went straight to the main menu. In the main menu I could see the menu selections but the rest of the screen was blank. I selected a scene and it played ok. There is a definite problem with Speed. I haven't watched this disc since I bought it in 2006. I don't own AVP.

EDIT: I just checked Flyboys and I do see a white coloration around the hub of the disc. I played it on my Panasonic and it loaded fine. If anyone is interested I could post a pic of the coloration.

Greetings,

Thanks Hank. Flyboys plays fine for me as well but I will check the condition of the disc anyway.

Regards,

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Greetings,

I checked the following Fox titles that were early Blu-ray releases from the same era as Speed and AVP and all played fine:

Behind enemy lines

Entrapment

Hart's war

Courage under fire

I also tried Master and commander and I Robot which are a little newer and they are fine as well.

Regards,

Discussion starter · #39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo /forum/post/19641542

Before finding this thread I thought I'm the only one. I have about 12 discs that can no longer play. Can't remember all the titles but they include:

Ronin

Trading Places

Coming to America

Last Samurai

Sahara

Bruce and Lloyd (from Get Smart)

Unfaithful

-- the rest I can't remember.

Greetings,

No problem with Ronin. I will check Unfaithful..

Regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.