AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The NLCS was excellent last night. The ratio wasn't a full 16x9, but the picture was stunning.

In fact it Tim McCarver a bad - he didn't look so good in HD. oh well.

fox finally gets rid of the dreck they had been slinging as "hd"

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
What was so stunning about 480? I thought the game looked terrible.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
What was so stunning about 480? I thought the game looked terrible.
LOL

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,620 Posts
Quote:
The NLCS was excellent last night. The ratio wasn't a full 16x9, but the picture was stunning.

fox finally gets rid of the dreck they had been slinging as "hd" [/b]

What I saw last night was the same as every other DTV Fox Sports broadcast: 480i upconverted to 480p, a pseudo 14:9 AR stretched, SD image. IMHO, the word excellent does not apply here at all.

I get a better image by upconverting the analog NTSC image, at least it's the correct AR.

There is no comparison between Fox Sports and CBS or HDNet native HDTV sports broadcasts, none.

Fox does not make any claim regarding HDTV. Publicly, they steadfastly insist 480p is more that good enough for the American consumer.

What may have happened, is that your local Fox station improved their upconversion.

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mullis
I listened to it on the radio. I am refusing to watch it.
I bet it looked better on the radio compaired to Fox's broadcast!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I think I have an idea of what he's talking about. The local NYC Fox station finally got their signal fixed and broadcast the game in native 480p 4:3 video, with no upconversion involved. Previously all sporting events had been done in that atrocious 14:9 stretched upconverted mode. For the first time since they went on the air, the digital broadcast looked better than the analog one. However, I still wouldn't call it excellent or stunning. It was just a typical SDTV picture.

HDTV is stunning!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, so maybe it was just a vast improvement.. or my TV is reallllly good :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.