AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused regarding just what it is I'm watching when I tune into KTTV-DT in L.A. (Fox). What programming is in 480p and what is not? For instance, I believe that "That 70's Show" is broadcast in 480p, yet the aspect ration is 4x3, which is normal, I guess. But following this, Fox's new show "24" came on in a 16x9 aspect ratio. Presumably this was 480i but presented in "wide-screen." Will this be the case for "X-files" when it starts up this weekend, or will the aspect ratio be 4x3? Any information would be appreciated....

·
Registered
824 Posts
The basic format for most Fox scripted shows and Fox News Sunday is 16:9 480p. However, Fox LA sometimes forgets to throw the switch(I have seen this 3 times in the last month) , some specific episodes (i.e. Malcolm in the Middle) have been 480i 4:3 and summer reruns have frequently been 480i 4:3.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DeanS
I'm confused regarding just what it is I'm watching when I tune into KTTV-DT in L.A. (Fox). What programming is in 480p and what is not? For instance, I believe that "That 70's Show" is broadcast in 480p, yet the aspect ration is 4x3, which is normal, I guess. But following this, Fox's new show "24" came on in a 16x9 aspect ratio. Presumably this was 480i but presented in "wide-screen." Will this be the case for "X-files" when it starts up this weekend, or will the aspect ratio be 4x3? Any information would be appreciated....
"That 70's Show" is one of the few Fox film shows that is not aired in 16:9. "Grounded For Life" is, I believe, another one, along with the animated series (Simpsons, King Of The Hill, Futurama) and any reality series, which are done on tape. X-Files is most definitely finished and aired in 16:9, as is Ally McBeal, Boston Public, Titus, Dark Angel, 24, Malcolm In The Middle, and Pasadena. All Fox digital feeds are 480p/60, regardless of the aspect ratio.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Fox is airing digital TV here, but they must not have a switch. It is always 4:3. Their analog picture is better than their digital. Does anyone know why they would waste their money to air bad digital. ABC, CBS, & NBC are all still analog. I have a Dish 6000. Is their something I may have set up incorrectly.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jerryez
Fox is airing digital TV here, but they must not have a switch. It is always 4:3. Their analog picture is better than their digital. Does anyone know why they would waste their money to air bad digital. ABC, CBS, & NBC are all still analog. I have a Dish 6000. Is their something I may have set up incorrectly.

Jerry
So many people here confuse networks with affiliates. If you live in Pensacola, to my knowledge you aren't served by any network owned and operated stations. Therefore, when you're watching (and blaming) Fox, ABC, CBS, or NBC you're actually watching a local affiliate, which although it carries network programming, broadcasts in whatever format they want. Fox has no more to do with your local affiliate's digital broadcast format than you do. In the case of satellite retransmission of local signals (I assume that's what you're getting on Dish), those signals are always the analog broadcast feed from the local stations. The satellite providers do not currently retransmit any local digital broadcast signals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.