Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to this forum and I tried searching for an answer to my question but couldn't find one. I live in Seattle, Washington and DirecTV won't allow me to get FOX in HD. I only eligible for DNS service for ABC, CBS and NBC but not FOX.

I have a friend who lives in Los Angeles. Can I register one of my receivers to his account but use it up here in Seattle and get FOX in HD?

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon
Hi,

New to this forum and I tried searching for an answer to my question but couldn't find one. I live in Seattle, Washington and DirecTV won't allow me to get FOX in HD. I only eligible for DNS service for ABC, CBS and NBC but not FOX.

I have a friend who lives in Los Angeles. Can I register one of my receivers to his account but use it up here in Seattle and get FOX in HD?
Sure, but I think the legal term is "Theft" and D* has been going after those who steal their signal lately. (Just ask OJ Simpson, one of the latest "contributors" to the D* "fund.)"

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
yea..what he said..

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Jadon, don't mess around with all that.

If an antenna is inconvenient or impossible, check out one of the Canadian satellite services (Expressvu or Star Choice).

Each offers network Seattle stations in HD, as well as East Coast HD, too.

Check the threads, you'll find plenty of info on how to go about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually I'm not in Seattle....I live about 80 miles SE of there. OTA isn't possible otherwise I wouldn't be asking this question.

If the receiver thing will work then that's going to be my best bet to get FOX in HD. Besides its not like D* can track where my receiver is being used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng
Sure, but I think the legal term is "Theft" and D* has been going after those who steal their signal lately. (Just ask OJ Simpson, one of the latest "contributors" to the D* "fund.)"
Theft? LOL I'm still paying for the service and the signal. They still get my money so what do they care where I'm using this receiver as long as I'm paying for it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Maybe it's closer to fraud than theft?

Quote:
Besides its not like D* can track where my receiver is being used.
Do the receivers still call home? If so that could be an indication of its location via caller-id.

The local HD issues are really a pain. Here in Tucson 1/2 the locals won't even let the cable companies carry them. Luckily I'm able to pull them in OTA, but the cable DVR can't record them that way.

arg, someday this will all be a distant memory... I hope.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastyfries
Maybe it's closer to fraud than theft?

Do the receivers still call home? If so that could be an indication of its location via caller-id.
Who says it has to be connected to a phone line?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Quote:
Theft? LOL I'm still paying for the service and the signal. They still get my money so what do they care where I'm using this receiver as long as I'm paying for it.
The local affiliate has the rights to the FOX programming and D* does not have the right to provide you with those programs. The fact that you have to lie to them about the location of your receiver should tell you everything you need to know about the legality of what you want to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm a paying customer and want FOX in HD. It's ridiculous that they don't even offer it. Why the hell can they give me my local FOX in non-HD but not the FOX channel in HD? It's BS. I'm gonna do this if it will work.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Quote:
I'm a paying customer and want FOX in HD. It's ridiculous that they don't even offer it. Why the hell can they give me my local FOX in non-HD but not the FOX channel in HD? It's BS. I'm gonna do this if it will work.
Suite yourself, but don't ask us for approval.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace
Suite yourself, but don't ask us for approval.
Wasn't asking for your approval, I was asking if this would work.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
I'm a paying customer and want FOX in HD. It's ridiculous that they don't even offer it. Why the hell can they give me my local FOX in non-HD but not the FOX channel in HD? It's BS.
It's not BS, you just don't understand the issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
It's not BS, you just don't understand the issues.
And what are these "issues"? Please, enlighten me.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Quote:
Who says it has to be connected to a phone line?
I don't have D*. I thought they had to be connected. Just making a guess as to how they would know.

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
Quote:
Re-read your contract. That is considered reselling service and that IS theft. D* HAS recently successfully gone after people doing just this kind of thing. There is a federal law against receiving out of market signals and it is also illegal for Americans to subscribe to Canadian services trying to avoid that law. Just ask the guy from California that was successfully prosecuted for subscribing to BEV I believe it was last spring so he could watch out of market football games because he didn't want to pay for Sunday Ticket. It is illegal period. Do it and get caught, you will NOT have a defense.

Like spwace said, if you have to ask about it, that should tell you all you need to know.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Quote:
And what are these "issues"? Please, enlighten me.
Presumably they are to do with the advertisers who pay to advertise on your local Fox channel.

If you are a Fox viewer living in the geographical area that your local Fox station covers, but are watching an out of area Fox channel to get HD, you won't be watching the adverts on your local Fox station.

Given that commercial FTA TV only exists because of commercial viewing, they are VERY keen that you watch their channel if you are in their patch.

If many people started watching a non-local Fox channel, it would (presumably) register on the ratings, and reduce the amount the local could charge for advert breaks, and cause them to lose money...

That's my guess - it is the reason national satellite stations in the UK that carry virtually the same programming, but different adverts, are all broadcast on satellite these days, so that viewers in the correct region see the correct commercials.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:
I live in Seattle, Washington and DirecTV won't allow me to get FOX in HD.
...FOX in HD from Seattle+ Detroit on StarChoice. :) No extra charge/month.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.