AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I first apologize if this has already been asked, I did a search and found no results. I am a total newcomer to HD and just got HD service installed by D* yesterday. Great install job, great picture, everything is gravy (except the receiver updated overnight and had to call tech support to get it fixed - was told a common problem this month).

Anyway, my question is about the Fox channel in HD. I am in Detroit and according to the D* website I am eligable for Fox in HD. I asked the tech why I am not getting this (since my local Detroit Station is O&O) and he told me that through them they do not offer Fox in HD and I would have to use an over-the-air antenna to get it. He said there is no Fox broadcasts in HD on their satellites, all over the air, then gave me the 'ole but wait till November routine.

My question is, is he correct? It is my understanding that they are broadcasting a feed out of NY. Do I need an external OTA antenna for this feed? Is it a case of needing a waiver signed even though my local Fox station is O&O (I am only 30 or sol miles from Lansing, which is the next DMA over).

Thoughts, advice, anything? I watch a lot of Fox and would really like it in HD.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adawg88
It is my understanding that they are broadcasting a feed out of NY. Do I need an external OTA antenna for this feed? Is it a case of needing a waiver signed even though my local Fox station is O&O (I am only 30 or sol miles from Lansing, which is the next DMA over).
You'd need a really big antenna to pick up that feed. ;)

You should qualify for the NYC FOX HD feed if your local station is an O&O. However, if Lansing FOX claims that you are in their DMA, you would not qualify without a waiver from them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is exactly what I told him. Said that would have to be one crazy huge antenna to pull that one down! He wasn't having it though. Whatever, I will call back and see if i can get it straightened out tonight.

Thanks for confirming what I thought!!

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Keep in mind that your issue is likely with Lansing, not Detroit. If Lansing is claiming that your zip code is within their broadcast area (not unlikely at only 30 miles) - it doesn't matter if your "official" DMA is Detroit - both affiliates will have to sign off on it. Detroit's permission is automatic, Lansing's is not.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adawg88
He said there is no Fox broadcasts in HD on their satellites, all over the air, then gave me the 'ole but wait till November routine.
He is wrong. The only issues are the waivers from your local affiliates. If you can get those, the distant feeds are available on the satellite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.