AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know we all like to bash Fox around here. But I just wish someone could give an answer on why Fox is so inconsistent with their 4X3 480p programming. Are they still working out the kinks or what?

When it is 16X9 programming everything is fine. Looks pretty decent for non-HD material.

Sometimes they show 4X3 material with the standard black bars, and the Fox logo is in the bottom right corner cutoff. This tells me that they are sending out the national feed and that it is being upconverted to 480p. This looks pretty good for SDTV, about the same as CBS 4X3 material, except that it looks like they blow it up just slightly. I will call this method A.

At other times (most the time, it seems) they show 4X3 material blown up and stretched to fill most the 16X9 format. The fox logo is within the picture and doesn't extend into the narrow black bars. Also the size of the black bars seems to vary slightly. It looks terrible. It's hardly watchable. This is what I'll call method B.

The other night I was watching "That 70's Show" and they were using method A. It looked fine. Then in the middle of the commercial break it changed to method B and remained that way for the rest of the show.

Last night the world series was shown using method B, tonight they are using method A. What is the deal?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think it is local stations too though. Tonight the WS is in stretched 4x3, not 480p for us in St. Louis. During the league championship series it was about 50/50 for upconverted vs. 480i stretched. Since you are seeing 480p tonight, I'm guessing its the local stations mucking things up.

Chris

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
FOX is in the process of rolling out 16:9 broadcast equipment to all of their affiliates, as per my local engineer. They are supposed to all be in place by EOY 2002. Hopefully things will settle down after that.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
FOX is in the process of rolling out 16:9 broadcast equipment to all of their affiliates, as per my local engineer. They are supposed to all be in place by EOY 2002. Hopefully things will settle down after that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.