AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched the Pats/Saints game (actually DVRed and watched it later), and the PQ of Fox NFL HD coverage is still lacking compared to other networks. Although there is some variation in game-to-game quality on any given network, I would still rate NFL and college football HD picture quality by network as follows:


1. CBS-HD and HDNet (with their occasional Division III college game)

2. ESPN-HD

3. ABC-HD

4. Fox HD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
I saw plenty of SD cams, but with the HD cameras, to me it looked great-definitely better than last year, which it would be anyway due to only one game being on FOX at a time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
I thought it was WAY better than last yr,Wherent they doing 720 last yr or somekind of edtv last yr. only thing i was pissed about is with my new hd tivo and ant showing a ota signal of 91 I kept getting digital breakup every min or so,was really irratating.IT would break up for a sec or 2 every 30secs to a min of the game. It never breaks up on fox any other tiem,whats the deal with this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdiesel77
Some of the HD shots were good, but there was still the "dancing grass", and it was not as detailed as the Hall Fame on ABC.
I saw the "dancing grass" also, just like last season. I thought if Fox entered their "dancing grass" in their "So you think you can dance" competition it could win hands down for execution and consistency alone. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3
I thought it was WAY better than last yr,Wherent they doing 720 last yr or somekind of edtv last yr. only thing i was pissed about is with my new hd tivo and ant showing a ota signal of 91 I kept getting digital breakup every min or so,was really irratating.IT would break up for a sec or 2 every 30secs to a min of the game. It never breaks up on fox any other tiem,whats the deal with this?
No, they were broadcasting HD (720p) last year.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35,978 Posts
The only parts of last night's game that looked good to me were the closeup shots, the distance shots were blurry, looked edge-enhanced and had a general lack of detail.


I hope this is not a preview of FOX's finished product for the upcoming season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,719 Posts
^ Same here....only one digital FOX channel and it looks every bit as good as CBS. Better, even, since my CBS isn't passing DD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,732 Posts
FOXHD and their mediocre 720p is what you'll see for the season. Just like last year. Then they ad all that EE and just adds noise to the image and that why it looks crappy on their field shots. Why they can't do a simple decent 720p broadcast like ABC?

Last night's CBS [email protected] proves 1080i RULES!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,903 Posts
There was a post saying that FOX was going to add more bits or bandwidth to their streams. I wonder if they have done that yet?
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast
There was a post saying that FOX was going to add more bits or bandwidth to their streams. I wonder if they have done that yet?
More on this soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
I have never been impressed with FOX HD. That being said, I'll take it over 480 Widescreen any day.


Here are my picture quality rankings:


1. HD Net

2. ABC

3. CBS

4. ESPN

5. Fox


I probably rank ABC higher than CBS because IMO games at night seem to look better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techweb
I watched the Pats/Saints game (actually DVRed and watched it later), and the PQ of Fox NFL HD coverage is still lacking compared to other networks. Although there is some variation in game-to-game quality on any given network, I would still rate NFL and college football HD picture quality by network as follows:


1. CBS-HD and HDNet (with their occasional Division III college game)

2. ESPN-HD

3. ABC-HD

4. Fox HD
ARE YOU FREAKIN' SERIOUS!! That broadcast had the BEST PQ I've seen ever. Beats anything CBS has done. JMHO, but probably justified by 90% of the HD viewers out there.


Wolfie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
More on this soon.
Like what? Fox has either increased the bit rate or they haven't. Or maybe they have, but aren't getting the results they thought they would get and therefore, they are trying to make adjustments.


Which one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie
ARE YOU FREAKIN' SERIOUS!! That broadcast had the BEST PQ I've seen ever. Beats anything CBS has done. JMHO, but probably justified by 90% of the HD viewers out there.


Wolfie


What broadcast are you referring to? Let me ask you, ARE YOU SERIOUS? Your local CBS station must have 3 subchannels. I guess you haven't seen CSI:Miami or the Pats game late last football season when they played in the blizzard and you could see the individual snow particles falling in front of the stadium lights. I haven't seen anything on Fox remotely close to what CBS does. I'm sure that a majority of people on this board would agree with me on this.
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH
Like what? Fox has either increased the bit rate or they haven't. Or maybe they have, but aren't getting the results they thought they would get and therefore, they are trying to make adjustments.


Which one?
Keep trying. It's not an 'either or' deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
Keep trying. It's not an 'either or' deal.
They've increased the bit rate but are making adjustments?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Whatever they have done, or are about to do to, I hope it improves the picture quality, at least up to ABC/ESPN 720p standards. Being a Vikings fan almost all of the games I'm interested in will be on FOX this year. :eek:
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top