AVS Forum banner

Regardless of format bias. If you could only view films from one of the two studios.

• Fox

Votes: 161 48.6%
  • Universal

Votes: 170 51.4%
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, let's get this out of the way. It seems a lot of threads lately have sparked comparisons between Fox and Universal.

So the question is this. Regardless of your format bias, if you could only view films from one studio... Which would you choose?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I wish I knew major films wich came out on each studio, I dont know full lists of big titles.... on which studio they belong too, but so far from looking at my collection of SD-DVDs id say Universal.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
You're kidding right? Fox's catalog obliterates Universal.

Star Wars

Aliens

Die Hard

These are some of the main franchises. In my opinion, aside from Warner, Fox has the most appealing catalog of titles.

You can bet Fox is going to release a 10th anniversary Titanic on Blu-ray in December. That one is going to sell big time since it's the highest grossing movie of all time.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Just by looking at my taste in films.... most of the movies I enjoy arent on major companies anyway! besides this is just for kicks anyway.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
It's like having to choose which arm to keep!

Quote:
You can bet Fox is going to release a 10th anniversary Titanic on Blu-ray in December. That one is going to sell big time since it's the highest grossing movie of all time.

Paramount has the rights in North America, don't they? I guess that means we may get several choices. Pick the best.

Gary

·
Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/0

Mercedes vs Chevrolet?

This isn't even fair. Mercedes has less than a thousand cars. Chevrolet has what 5000.

I'm sorry but anyone who'd chose Mercedes cars over Chevrolet would have to be a "Damn Foo"

A cars purpose is transportation from "Spot A" to "Spot B". While there is variety in trim level and shape or cost it is not equal in the purpose of movies which are to tell stories and entertain. Thus in stories we want to choose the grouping with the better stories or the most stories. My opinion is that Fox's library simply doesn't carry enough movies to counter Universal's much larger library.

761 Fox movies vs 3372 Universal isn't "obliterating" unless you choose the most myopic of views.

Your analogy doesn't quite cust the muster here.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I have to say that Universal's catalog is much better than Fox's. In fact, I wouldn't own an HD DVD player if it wasn't for Universal.

I can probably name all of the Fox movies that I like offhand, whereas it would take a deep search for me to find all the Universal titles that I like.

Fox movies that I like and would buy on BD are Star Wars: Episodes 4-6, Alien and Aliens, Speed (already bought), Predator, the four Die Hard movies (maybe the fourth), Fight Club, True Lies, and The French Connection I and II. I almost bought The Transporter, but I talked myself out of that one.

I already almost own more Universal HD DVDs than the Fox movies I just listed.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roma_victor /forum/post/0

IMO it's not exactly "fair and balanced" to post this thread in the BD section

Well some people will fall lock-step into BD patriotism but I look at this from this perspective. The OP clearly says you can ONLY choose one studio and despite Universals HD DVD support and Fox's BD support I'm a lot more comfortable with the choice of "thousands" of movies versus "hundreds"

This being stated I'm a huge fan of Alien/s, I love Die Hard and Starwars is a classic although I'm not quite as moved as I was as a youngster.

I couldn't give up Jurassic Park, ET, Schindler's List, Jaws and many other classics for a handful of Fox movies.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/0

Mercedes vs Chevrolet?

This isn't even fair. Mercedes has less than a thousand cars. Chevrolet has what 5000.

I'm sorry but anyone who'd chose Mercedes cars over Chevrolet would have to be a "Damn Foo"

This analogy would make sense if Fox titles were superior to Universal titles in the same way Mercedes is superior to Chevrolet but the fact of the matter is they are not. Universal is a massive studio with classics reaching through the decades that are beyond the likes of Die Hards or even Star Wars. The fact that you are even hinting to the possibility of Fox titles being of higher quality than Universal's shows how biased you are. It's amazing how otherwise rational and competent people can become so partial in times like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauthum /forum/post/0

I'll take quality over quantity anyday

Don't worry, Universal's got plenty of that too.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

Fox vs Universal?

This isn't even fair. Fox has less than a thousand titles. Universal has what 5000.

I'm sorry but anyone who'd chose Fox movies over Universal would have to be a "Damn Foo"

I chose Fox because they have more movies that interest me. That doesn't mean that I don't want a lot of Universal films as well... just that they have fewer that interest me. As you HD DVD fans always claim "quality over quantity" - I guess that's only a valid argument when it puts HD DVD in a good light though.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I went with Fox although Universal does have a lot of classic films including Hitchcock titles.

Honestly, Star Wars means little to me. The prequels were worthless and if we ever get the Holy Trilogy, it'll be the bastardized Special Editions. Lucas can keep them as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg /forum/post/0

I chose Fox because they have more movies that interest me. That doesn't mean that I don't want a lot of Universal films as well... just that they have fewer that interest me. As you HD DVD fans always claim "quality over quantity" - I guess that's only a valid argument when it puts HD DVD in a good light though.

That makes sense. I do like the fact that Fox supports Sci fi pretty well. Despite my "Damn foo" comment I do realize that movies move people in different ways. Quality is very subjective as well so I can see both sides here.

It seems very even in the voting. Perhaps there are HD DVD fans choosing Universal or some people who are simply looking at catalog sizes and thinking "Bigger is better"

who knows. Thank God we don't have to make this choice. It's kind of like asking someone "you have to lose a limb...which is it an arm or a leg?"

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg /forum/post/0

I couldn't have said it better. Just off the top fo my head, I think I like more Fox titles. That being said, there are also some awfully great titles in Universal's catalog too.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.