AVS Forum banner

Who would you choose if you can only have one Studio?

• Universal

Votes: 227 77.7%
  • Fox

Votes: 65 22.3%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it kind of ammusing that this very same thread has Universal winning the pole in the Bluray forums.

So, let's get this out of the way and see the outcome on the HD-DVD forums.

So the question is this. Regardless of your format bias, if you could only view films from one studio... Which would you choose?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I own a PS3, so I guess you can color me blu (though I don't really care who "wins" - well, maybe a little since I've paid money for PS3 and am slowly building a library of blu-ray movies. . .I guess it doesn't matter because by the time this thing is decided, players will be cheap enough that I can get another). But between Fox and Universal - I'd take Universal 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I do want titles like ID4 and I Robot so.... i would like to have both o Disney too.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Jurrasic Park is my favorite movie of all time, so the vote goes to Universal. Plus they have made actual quality movies compared to Fox which features moreso just entertaining movies. I mean United 93, The Good Shepard and Children of Men seem pretty good compared to X-Men 3 (though I didn't enjoy it)

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I look at it in a way where Universal has many more quality movies. There are those who long so much for Fox movies like Star Wars and Alien, but using one or two movies to explain what studio you prefer seems ridiculous to me. Supposing that Fox and Universal were the only two studios in existence for HD viewing and you had to pick one, how many times can you watch a Star Wars movie?

There is a lot more variety in Universal's catalog, and certainly many more well-received movies. I like Fox for their action movies. The two French Connection movies are excellent classics, the Die Hard movies certainly are entertaining, and the first two Alien movies are superb. However, I would have many more single viewings of quality Universal movies than multiple viewings of quality Fox movies.

I can view both studios' movies in HD, but I must give Universal props. Now only if they would regularly include lossless audio tracks like Fox does...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Universal for me too for diversity from Hitchcock to Spielberg , Double Indemnity to Inside Man. I think its Lucasfilm rather than Fox that make the call regarding Star Wars and not Fox.

Fox are yet another of these companies ( Like Sony,Pioneer and the BDA ) who regularly insult even their own supporters with the tone and content of their announcements. Remember their gung-ho support for Divx ? I think Warners and to a lesser extent Universal are more aware of good word of mouth which surely starts with early adopters.

~M~

·
Super Moderator
16,951 Posts
BOTh studios have put out great films. I picked Universal. Schindlers List is a must. Absolutely terrific movie.

S~

·
Registered
25 Posts
I dont care which studio ... Just want the titles I want to watch. But the future is dual format, and when I setup my HT properly, it will be done dual format ....

The only question is whether to go with Region A or B with Blu-ray ...

I am currently using the X360 for HDDVD playback, but have my eye on one of the Toshiba HD-DVD players to get in the near future.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
At the momment I'd say universal I like a liot more of their movies. Now all we need is for them to get on the ball and put out some more movies.

I thought this was going to be a thead on who will cave and go to the other side. I'd say fox as they seen to always chose the losing format at first then go to the otherside.

Although if parmount and WB wernt making HDDVDS I don't know were I'd be. Half my movies are universal 1/4 WB and 1/4 paramout. 1 wienstein as well..

·
Registered
750 Posts
Probably Universal for me, mainly for the Hitchcock movies they own. Fox have some decent titles too (I'd love the original Omen in HD, among others), but I think Universal edges them out.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If someone told me I had to choose between the Bourne trilogy and the 3 Star Wars prequels, it's a no-brainer. Like someone already mentioned, FOX dominates the blockbuster action popcorn flick genre but Universal simply has a greater catalog of titles. You can argue that it's about quality and not quantity, but the fact of the matter is Universal has more of both. So where does that leave FOX?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Fox has a lot of decent titles (and one of my favorite TV shows - The X Files). However, Universal's cataloge is amazing. Back to the Future (which is my favorite film series of all time), Jurrasic Park, The Bourne Series, the Hitchcock films, Out of Sight, etc. Not to mention their television properties like Battlestar Galactica and House.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.