AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a little premature for an "official" construction thread but what the heck, it's taken me this long to get this far any progress is worth mentioning! :D

Foundation has been poured. Waiting for OK from inspector to backfill and then framing can begin, most likely early next week.

Follow link below for updates...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Chip,

It has to stop raining and snowing sooner or later around here!

I'll be watching your progress closely. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the encouragement guys! It does feel good to finally be seeing some actual progress.

Art,

In actuality the design really didn't change all that much. It's just that the software I'm using now allows a lot more detail in the final renderings. I had planned the chair rail w/contrasting fabric, wood panels on columns, etc. from the start, but the design software I was using at the time didn't allow for such details. (at least not easily) The current renderings are actually the best representation of the original design.

One thing you may notice that did change is there is an additional doorway in the right rear corner near the equipment rack. This is a second means of egress from the room which the inspector required.

After looking at the designs on paper for nearly two year's now it certainly will be interesting to see how it all comes together.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those who may be following along I thought I'd post a quick update...

Foundation has been back-filled and framing has begun. The deck is on and the walls have been assembled but not yet raised. We've had a span of wet weather over the last couple of weeks which has limited the hours for the crew onsite, but next week is looking a little better so hopefully the pace will pick up a bit.

There are a few new pictures on the site and I'll update again next week once the walls go up.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by No Clue
chip,

Which software program are you using now? I am looking to do something similar.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve,

I'm currently using Autodesk Revit for the renderings. Though I could use Revit for the floorplans as well, the ones you see on my site were done using SmartDraw (a Visio clone). For more info on some of the software I am using and/or have used in the past you can take a look at the 'software' page on my HT site. There is a link to the software section at the bottom of each page on the site.

If you do a general search of the forums here for "Revit" you'll find several threads which discuss this and other 3D rendering packages. One of the better threads is:

Any good software packages for creating 3D model of home theater?

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Thanks, Chip,

Looks like the punch software might be the way to go for me. Plus, it has a lot of other neat features I could currently use like the landscaping.

BTW, your theater is looking great!

Steve

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

More progress today as the walls are finally going up.

Feels strange to see it coming together after looking at it on paper for so long. I'm starting to get a real feel for the space which no amount of modeling in a computer can give you. So far I'm pretty pleased.

Updated pictures are on the site.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A few new pictures on the site...

Roof trusses are up and the exterior sheathing is just about complete. Another week for the roofers and siding guys to do their thing and I'll be about ready to start tackling the interior.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a quick update...

Finally started work on the interior. Framed the riser, lobby and equipment room this past weekend.

Updated pictures on the site.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those of you still playing along...:D

Reached a small milestone today as I passed the rough electrical inspection. Not a major accomplishment but every small step is one step closer in my book.

Next up is A/V wiring and HVAC...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Chip, I am still playing along!

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
You'll get to a point, eventually, when things will come together quickly - my project was 8 month from first nail to complete (or final check written) and I used the world's fastest builder!

Search my construction thread or track me down and buy me a beer for the whole story.

Hang in there!

Randy

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks folks. I appreciate the encouragement.

The hardest part is knowing there are things that need to be done that I'll be doing myself while having to wait for various subs to do their thing first. I think I'll feel a bit more "into" the project when I can start getting my hands dirty.

I'll keep you all posted...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.