AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doesnt anyone know if the primetime lineup for Fox will be in actual 480P !6X9 format here inthe Seattle market? I was watching the World Series and playoff games, and everything seems to be that ugly zoomed 480P 4:3 crap. Does or will fox running ANYTHING in 16:9??? What's the point of 480p if you are going to run it in LAME 4:3 format

I know that FOX is far from a champion of HDTV, but you'd think that they would AT THE LEAST broadcast in 16:9, even if they insist on using 480p. To tell you the truth, 480p 16:9 would be a tremendous improvement over NTSC

THanks

·
Registered
961 Posts
KCPQ is not yet in 480p, still transmitting in upconverted, cropped 480i, 14x9.

Fox network does run all their scripted programs in 480p 16x9 on their digital feed and 4x3 on their analog feed. The live Fox programs, including all sports, originate as analog 4x3 and are upconverted to 480p 4x3 in a 16x9 frame for their digital feed.

KCPQ does not yet have a digital satellite receiver. Fox is apparently very slow in supplying the digital receivers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by brunopc
If KCPQ doesn't have a digital receiver, how were they able to broadcast some of the preseason football games in HDTV?
Thats a good point. How did they manage to broadcast those preseason Seahawks games in HD.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brunopc
If KCPQ doesn't have a digital receiver, how were they able to broadcast some of the preseason football games in HDTV?
Oops, I could have made that clearer. They don't have a FOX digital receiver. They used other equipment for the Seahawks.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Fox has been distributing these 480p 16x9 shows for over a year now. However, from reviewing the archives, it appears that only the Fox owned and operated stations are actually broadcasting them.

Its strange to me that Fox would go through the expense and trouble of converting them to 16:9 480p only to have a large chunk of their stations not transmit it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drewba
Fox has been distributing these 480p 16x9 shows for over a year now. However, from reviewing the archives, it appears that only the Fox owned and operated stations are actually broadcasting them.

Its strange to me that Fox would go through the expense and trouble of converting them to 16:9 480p only to have a large chunk of their stations not transmit it.
They're not "converted." They're posted in 16:9 and have been for the last 3 or 4 seasons. The 4:3 version is actually the "conversion." as it's created by "cutting off" the left and right sides of the 16:9 frame. The 480p format is purely a broadcast format, there is no such thing as a 480p videotape format. The broadcasts are sourced from standard Digital Betacam or DCT videotape masters.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I do know that Fox had promised KCPQ a new receiver for their digital transmission by the start of the fall shows.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I got this response on October 18th from the Engineer at KCPQ:

"The gear is installed and ready to go but Fox is still not sending their version of HD which is 480P yet, so when they start sending the 480P, we will send it your way."

So it looks like they have the equipment, FOX isn't sending the 480P widescreen out.

The Seahawks were done through Paul Allens HDTV network. It had nothing to do with FOX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.