AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
USA TODAY reports today that the Fox TV network ratings are down 35% compared to last year. This figure is after 26 days of the 30 day November "Sweeps". The decline is only 16% if you don't include the three World Series games played last November.

You have to wonder what the decline would be if Fox didn't have 24.

The decline can be attributed to poor programming, or perhaps because Fox refuses to embrace "real" HD. You can bet Fox won't admit to either.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Shows on Fox sux.

Also, there is very little enthusiasm for professional sports this year, so, the huge investments into HDTV are not their.

I agree, though. Fox Widescreen blows.

CBS has 3 really killer (no pun intended) shows right now. CSI, JAG, and Raymond. ER and The Agency to a lesser degree.

NBC is really just as bad as Fox. The Left Wing is getting tired. Friends is wearing thin. Frasier is starting to get stale again. Even Leno is falling behind.

The jury is still out on ABC. Dinotopia has possibilies to be a good hit. Playing Bond movies has helped. Disney shows in HD really add to user enjoyment.

The WB has the biggest market growth. Buffy, Smallville (EXCELLENT!!!) and others are gaining where the other networks are falling behind.

Just my $.02

-Warlock

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I guarantee you it has nothing to do with HDTV. There is a somewhat myopic view on this forum that what is important here is important everywhere. That is not the case.

The truth is that HDTV has had little impact on the TV industry, outside of the financial drain it has had on broadcasters.

I love the part about not counting the World Series. What CBS's ratings be if you took out CSI or Victoria's Secret?

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spwace
I guarantee you it has nothing to do with HDTV. There is a somewhat myopic view on this forum that what is important here is important everywhere. That is not the case.

The truth is that HDTV has had little impact on the TV industry, outside of the financial drain it has had on broadcasters.
Well said. But I still support all the HDTV I can get.

·
Registered
251 Posts
"No HD" is not the reason. The reason is poor programing and a World Series (or play-offs) displacing shows that need to attract a following.

Good shows like Boston Public are becoming stale with a revolving door of cast members. Sunday night was retooled to fill in for the missing X-Files but needs something besides what they have.

24 is good and Bernie Mac is still fun to watch (via PVR).

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spwace

I love the part about not counting the World Series. What CBS's ratings be if you took out CSI or Victoria's Secret?
I disagree. I do not watch Fox because they do not do HDTV. I will not purchase products from advertisers who sponsor Fox.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikey mo
You have to wonder what the decline would be if Fox didn't have 24.
Actually, 24 is getting pummeled this year--premiered in the top 25 but has dropped to #49, averaging just slightly more viewers than the average Fox broadcast through sweeps (9.9 million vs. 9.4 million).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
I disagree. I do not watch Fox because they do not do HDTV. I will not purchase products from advertisers who sponsor Fox.
If you don't watch FOX, how do you know which advertisers to avoid? :rolleyes:

Honestly, do you think you have been able to avoid all sponsers of FOX programing? Doubtful! Also, should you aviod a sponser that does advertise on HD shows but also does on FOX too?

Maybe you should avoid all advertisers that have their commercials on a Sinclair stations since Sinclar stations don't do HD (as a general rule).

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
Well dang kipp, I guess that settles it, FOX is doomed.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amillians
Actually, 24 is getting pummeled this year--premiered in the top 25 but has dropped to #49, averaging just slightly more viewers than the average Fox broadcast through sweeps (9.9 million vs. 9.4 million).
It's hardly "getting pummeled." Total households is not nearly as important a number as the demographic group Adults 18-49. In that demographic, 24 has won its hour every week it's aired. Furthermore, its numbers are considerably up from last season. By these two measurements, the show is a solid hit this season - one of the few Fox has. Maybe X-Files and Ally McBeal weren't quite ready to be put out to pasture after all........

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I believe even among non-HDTV households the "Simulcast in HDTV" announcement lends an aura of high tech. I believe this gives the network a small boost.

Rick R

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Also, CBS, NBC and ABC are up (NBC is WAY up)...those viewers had to come from somewhere...

I think they won't count the World Series of 2001 for 2 reasons: 9/11 pushed it into November, and no Yankees this year. Although they stated publicly it'd do well with two CA teams, the unknown factor, etc., they had to have known they would get killed. I work nearly 100 MLB games a year, and I didn't have much interest in the postseason. I did watch most of the Series, but I just don't get fired up like I used to - and I suspect I'm not alone.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Most people don't even know what HDTV is (or care, for that matter). I seriously doubt that it has any affect on ratings.

You may not like that Fox doesn't do HDTV, but I've never heard of anyone refusing to watch them for it (this forum excepted, of course.)

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Mike, my 24 comment was paraphrasing an AP newsblurb on how Fox is getting killed this year--this show was singled out as an example of how Fox had failed to keep its season-opening momentum going (big start, but then falling back into the normal routine). I would think just about anyone would agree that the show is not performing *right now* as Fox execs had expected this season, especially given the huge World Series ad blitz, the first season repeat marathon pre-opener, the no commerical gimmick for the opener and the major ad blitz. Perhaps "pummeled" was a bit harsh (my word choice), but the story noted that the "It" show of this season was no longer was "it" after 4 weeks. FWIW, Frasier won this week, as expected, all metrics. I hope no offense was taken if you're involved in the production--I like the show (at least what I've seen).

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Each Nielsen rating point represents about one million TV homes.

Assuming a probably optimistic figure of 500,000 HD capable homes, our viewership represents but a flyspeck on the elephant's hind quarters, and has very little effect on ratings.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Quote:
If you don't watch FOX, how do you know which advertisers to avoid?
I asked a friend to write down who is advertising on Fox thank you...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Quote:
Honestly, do you think you have been able to avoid all sponsers of FOX programing?
Not all but most.

Quote:
Also, should you aviod a sponser that does advertise on HD shows but also does on FOX too?
I will only buy 50% of what I would normally buy from them.:D

Quote:
Maybe you should avoid all advertisers that have their commercials on a Sinclair stations since Sinclar stations don't do HD (as a general rule).
Sorry, I do not do the cable tv thing.

Quote:
Well dang kipp, I guess that settles it, FOX is doomed.
Unrealistic, but it would be nice!;)

Quote:
I believe even among non-HDTV households the "Simulcast in HDTV" announcement lends an aura of high tech. I believe this gives the network a small boost.
I agree!

Quote:
Assuming a probably optimistic figure of 500,000 HD capable homes, our viewership represents but a flyspeck on the elephant's hind quarters, and has very little effect on ratings.
Yes, but everyday, our numbers are growing while their numbers are shrinking!:D :D :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Peterson
ER is on NBC.
And Buffy is on UPN.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jckessler
Most people don't even know what HDTV is (or care, for that matter). I seriously doubt that it has any affect on ratings.
You are correct. Nielsen does not rate ANY digital OTA at this time. So anyone watching the digital channel would show up as NOT having a TV on or then maybe MORE people watching digital, therefore it NOT counting toward the Nielsen numbers, thereby giving a false reading. But it is just that the current crop of shows are not very interesting to the general public in the total household numbers, which is what most of these articles are based on at this early date. The ratings just ending yesterday, so demo numbers are not available yet, but you can gleen some data from the overnight numbers and that is where this data comes from.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
ANyone who thinks HD has anything to do with FOX's numbers being down is definitely living in lala land. If you go outside of your circle of friends and talk to average joes you will find they have no clue about HD or what the heck it even is. I work on a tv show and I know not one person who is receiving HD. I know two people with HD sets, but they don't have tuners (Oh my don't get me on that rant. I can't think of anything stupider).

But as a whole, I know no one who could give a rats ass about HD in the general public.

This will change, but to think it has anything to do with rating s is just plan ludicrous.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.