Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an answer?

I don't really care about shows not being HD but there is no reason that big national shows shouldn't be broadcast in 16:9...

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Because they aren't drawn in 16:9.... At least not yet..

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike4HDTV
I hope one day this show is broadcast in HD.
I won't bet money on it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Simpsons is consistently terrific. I use the "just" mode on my TV to turn it into widescreen. This mode leaves the center of the picture normal but stretches it out at the sides. And, I think because the show a cartoon, where we are used to natural variations in the drawing, it looks just fine, unlike film of live actors who turn fatter at the sides of the picture. The Simpsons looks great stretched in this manner, IMHO. The Simpsons characters are often drawn taller, shorter, fatter, etc. than their surroundings so altering slightly more in this way doesn't make it look bad at all.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Very unlikely Simpsons will go HD or even WS because it has been around for too long in regular NTSC.

Because this is apparently bad for syndication purposes, you end up having a few seasons in HD while the rest are in regular NTSC. Then when the production company ends up selling the episodes for syndication, you don't want potential syndicators to want only the HD episodes, you want to make syndication an all or nothing deal.

This is exactly the same reason wny Friends was never in shown in HD.

True, some shows have have coverted to HD later on in their lifespan but none have had the volume of episodes Simpsons or Friends have; hence really high $yndication potential.

But then again, anything is possible. I really don't see how Simpsons could benefit from HD, but 5.1DD would be nice though.

·
Registered
10,688 Posts
The Simpsons has been drawn on computers for a couple of seasons now so maybe drawing a slightly wider version wouldn't be that much more work... but would it really look that much better?

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scowl
The Simpsons has been drawn on computers for a couple of seasons now so maybe drawing a slightly wider version wouldn't be that much more work... but would it really look that much better?
have you seen any of the animated movies on HBO or ABC?? they absolutely destroy the analog PQ..even more so than normal filmed movies do to their 480i counterparts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
agreed, the analog feed looses alot of color and the picture is saturated and fuzzy. The simpsons was a great show. Almost all the new episodes in the past three years have been total bs. But then again fox should be to blame for telling the producers to "tone it down"

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I can't see Fox changing The Simpsons to 16:9 when it's been done for what is it, 16 seasons in 4:3? What should be asked of Fox is simply to put out the remainder of the seasons on DVD. ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
for those who are complaining about the quality of the show, it sounds like you tuned out last season. last season was easily one of the best seasons of the last 4-5 years, IMHO coming close to the high point of their best seasons...

I do agree that around season 11 or so that the show started losing some steam, but this past season was really a great season. Here is to hoping that this upcoming season keeps moving in the same direction.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by borghe
for those who are complaining about the quality of the show, it sounds like you tuned out last season. last season was easily one of the best seasons of the last 4-5 years,
agreed. However, there were some real stinkers in this last season. The simpsons are running into the same problems all long running sitcoms face. Most notably, staying fresh. But it seems Al Jean has helped them turn a corner. And put a stop to those horrible punch out endings. (all endings that made no sense or didnt finish the plot at all. "Hey everyone, lets go surfing!")

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.