AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on this site.!, please stay in your seats...

I've looked at the NFL FOX posts and searched their site but can't find the answer...here what I'm up against.

I'm having about 70 people over this Sunday for my son's 1st birthday and also to show off my new home.

About 30 of the invites are DIEHARD Eagles fans, ranging in age, and the coolest hting I can imagine is to show off my new plasma with the game in FOX 16:9 at the last regular season game at Veterans Stadium. (My uncles have never seen such a thing)

And to stretch the Sunday Ticket...yuck.

Does anyone know how I can find out if this weekend's Eagles/Redskins game will be in FOX Widescreen.?

·
Registered
260 Posts
It might be the "B" Game becuase the Packers @ 49ers is definitly the "A" Game it all depends on what fox decides becuase the "B" game will be a choice of Seattle @ Atlanta or Dallas @ NY Giants and the Philly game. You will have to check on Thursday to wich is the "B" game.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Keep your fingers crossed that the Eagles make the Superbowl.

Then invite everyone back for a real HDTV broadcast. ABC is doing the superbowl in their usual 720p and 5.1 dolby digital.

Eric

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...is already in the planning stages, as should every HDTV owner be the host.!

Feel sorry for losers watching this year's Superbowl in SD 4:3.

You said check back on Thursday,

Why.?

Is that when FOX announces their B game.?

How do I find this out.? (by the announcing team)?

Thanks for helping my search.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well I wouldn't get your hopes up, considering Washington is eliminated and Philly only needs a win to get into the playoffs. I'd imagine that the Giants game would be the B game for many reasons: 1) The New York market will receive the game, 2) If New Orleans and/or Atlanta win at 1 o'clock then a Giants loss will move New Orleans and/or Atlanta into the playoffs. 3) Dallas is (or used to be) America's team.

I believe the B game announcers are always Dick Stockon and his partner (Daryl Johnston?).

·
Registered
544 Posts
Big Niner fan here. I hope the Fox WS game is the Pack and Niners. I watch Sunday ticket every weekend stretched on my Toshiba 65h81 and it doesn't bother me. In fact I have never watched anything in Fox WS.

Is there a big difference?

Also you say the Superbowl is in 720p? This is OTA for ABC?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The Redskins game has been in widescreen for the past three weeks. Granted, one of those was the Thanksgiving day game when there was no competition, but I was surprised this past Sunday's game with the Giants was widescreen. I've become spoiled. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Eagles game. I can't imagine going back to 4:3 SD.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...when comparing FOX 16:9 480P vs 4:3 stretched.

You can see the blades in the Vet turf, not HD, but MUCH better than Sunday ticket.

I don't think the Dallas/NY game, because FOX won't do their 2--WS games both at 4:00, I think.

PLUS, last week when they advertised their "Doubleheader Weekend" and they listed the 1:00 games and 4:00 games.

The REDSKINS/EAGLES was at the top of the 1:00ers and in larger text, and the PACKERS/NINERS was the top of the 4:00ers, and that was also larger, could be a clue...when/how do we find out.?

·
Registered
936 Posts
If Redskins Eagles was in larger text then you may have a good chance after all. Look for some place that lists the announcers for this weekends games.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
As usual, unless one of the Fox guys around here does some checking beforehand, you'll know about Thursday or Friday when you can go to Foxsports.com under NFL and click on the link that says "Which game do I get". There it lists the announcing teams and which markets gets which games.

The A and B announcing teams are as mentioned above. Buck/Aikman/Collinsworth and Stockton/Johnston.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
'B' Game

Sunday, Dec. 15, 1:00 p.m. ET

Washington at Philadelphia — Dick Stockton, Daryl Johnston

'A' Game

Sunday, Dec. 15, 4:00 p.m. ET

Green Bay at San Francisco — Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Cris Collinsworth

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm missing the connection between A & B games and the fact that it will be in Widescreen.

So is Fox now always doing their top two( A & B) games in Widescreen??

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve13
I'm missing the connection between A & B games and the fact that it will be in Widescreen.

FOX usually sends the 16:9 trucks to the two games that have the most appeal and those games are usually the same games that the top two announcing teams go to, hence the connection.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where did you see this.?

And you said, "FOX usually sends the 16:9 trucks ..."

Is it a fact that the A and B games will get the 16:9 trucks, or it's been the trend.

Is FOX doing EVERY playoff game in Widescreen.?

I think I read somewhere CBS is doing EVERY playoff game, but not 100% positive if it's the Wildcard and Divisional games as well as AFC/NFC Championship.

What better could we be talking about regarding HD with the best time of year right around the corner...NFL Playoffs + Holiday Season.!

·
Registered
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve13

This has been the case for the last month since Fox started their NFL Widescreen telecasts.

We were originally told this by an AVS member who works in the mobile production units that Fox uses for the games and so far (since 11/10/02) it has been accurate.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Plasma George
Where did you see this.?

Is it a fact that the A and B games will get the 16:9 trucks, or it's been the trend.

I think I read somewhere CBS is doing EVERY playoff game, but not 100% positive if it's the Wildcard and Divisional games as well as AFC/NFC Championship.

What better could we be talking about regarding HD with the best time of year right around the corner...NFL Playoffs + Holiday Season.!
Here is the playoff schedule and networks doing them (no indication of HDTV or widescreen though):

POSTSEASON

Wild-Card Weekend

Saturday, Jan. 4

AFC or NFC game, 4:30 pm on ABC

AFC or NFC game, 8:00 pm on ABC Sunday, Jan. 5

AFC game, 1:00 pm on CBS

NFC game, 4:30 pm on FOX

Divisional Playoffs

Saturday, Jan. 11

AFC game, 4:30 pm on CBS

NFC game, 8:00 pm on FOX Sunday, Jan. 12

NFC game, 1:00 pm on FOX

AFC game, 4:30 pm on CBS

Conference Championships

Sunday, Jan. 19

NFC Championship Game, 3:00 pm on FOX

AFC Championship Game, 6:30 pm on CBS

Super Bowl XXXVII

Sunday, Jan. 26

Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, Calif.

AFC-NFC Pro Bowl

Sunday, Feb. 2

Aloha Stadium, Honolulu, Hawaii

·
Registered
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Where did you see this.?
I found the info for this week on the Fox Sports web site at this link: Fox Sports NFL Planner

Quote:
Is it a fact that the A and B games will get the 16:9 trucks, or it's been the trend..
What is your definition of a fact?

There has been no public announcement regarding this from Fox. Since we first became aware of the Widescreen NFL telecasts (which started on 11/10/02), it has been the case; e.g. each Fox NFL game with the 'A' or 'B' announcing teams have been Widescreen.

Without official word from Fox, that's all we have to go on and in my opinion the odds are very high that it will continue. We shall see.

Quote:
Is FOX doing EVERY playoff game in Widescreen.?.
Again, since no official announcement has been made, we can only speculate. Based on the schedule, my speculation is that we will see all of the Fox NFL playoff games in the Widescreen format.

Quote:
This is not correct. They don't do 'EVERY' playoff game and furthermore, there has been no info from CBS regarding any NFL in HDTV this season. This is not to say it's couldn't happen, but right now it's just a fond hope on many people's part.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Quote:
The current NFL contract with the networks gives ABC the two wildcard games on the first Saturday. After that, CBS gets all AFC playoff games and Fox gets all NFC playoff games through the conference championships. The three networks alternate the Super Bowl, with ABC getting the broadcast this season and CBS next season.

In the regular season, CBS gets all Sunday afternoon AFC-only games and interconference games where the AFC is the road team. Fox gets all Sunday afternoon NFC-only games and interconference games where the NFC is the road team. ABC gets MNF, while ESPN gets the Sunday night and occasional Thursday night games.

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Quote:
Where did you see this.?
Internal FOX memo.

Quote:

This has been the trend and it makes the most sense.

Quote:
I haven't heard that, but that would make sense also for the games that FOX is carrying.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.