AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I watched the games last week on NFL Sunday Ticket, the Fox games in "full" mode were filling the screen. This week, they aren't? Anybody else have the same issue?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CCsoftball7
When I watched the games last week on NFL Sunday Ticket, the Fox games in "full" mode were filling the screen. This week, they aren't? Anybody else have the same issue?
No.

The Fox Widescreen games are on ch 71 & 72.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I'm seeing something weird, but it was also happening last week. I'm seeing garbage at the top of the screen, kinda looks like 'line 21' information that I see when I catch sat feeds at work. My monitor is 4x3, but everything else I watch that is letterboxed NEVER has this problem. Just the Fox Widescreen games. Since it is letterboxed, there aren't any monitor adjustments I can do to get rid of it. Any ideas? Also, I'm using a dtc-100 via vga.

I'm sure this goes somewhere else, but since I don't know what is causing the problem, I don't know exactly where to post it. Thanks.

·
Banned
761 Posts
So when I look at the NFL Ticket schedule this week I notice 3 games list as HD, only to tune in and find out it's FOX Widescreen enhanced. What crap. I need to remeber that NFC games will not be in true HD. So much for NFL in HD. I think they should carry more AFC games as we know CBS does the job right.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Haghighi
So when I look at the NFL Ticket schedule this week I notice 3 games list as HD, only to tune in and find out it's FOX Widescreen enhanced. What crap. I need to remeber that NFC games will not be in true HD. So much for NFL in HD. I think they should carry more AFC games as we know CBS does the job right.
Everyone knew before the season even started there would be only THREE games a week in HD. Two on Sunday (CBS and ESPN) and MNF. This is nothing new.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by taz291819
. I'm seeing garbage at the top of the screen, kinda looks like 'line 21' information
Line 21, and other vertical interval garbage, is exactly what you're seeing.

Since FOX Widescreen is basically upconverted NTSC,albeit all digital,

the vertical interval is still present in the signal delivered to the affiliates

(or duhwreckedTv). Since it serves no purpose for DTv after upconversion,

we blank it out here to prevent the viewers who have 4x3 HD monitors

(me included) from seeing garbage at the top of the screen. Ideally, that

should be standard practice, but isn't.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bdfox18doe
Line 21, and other vertical interval garbage, is exactly what you're seeing.

Since FOX Widescreen is basically upconverted NTSC,albeit all digital,

the vertical interval is still present in the signal delivered to the affiliates

(or duhwreckedTv). Since it serves no purpose for DTv after upconversion,

we blank it out here to prevent the viewers who have 4x3 HD monitors

(me included) from seeing garbage at the top of the screen. Ideally, that

should be standard practice, but isn't.
Ok, now I understand, guess I'm just gonna have to live with it until I get a 16x9 monitor. I'm impressed with the PQ though. Thanks again.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Haghighi
So when I look at the NFL Ticket schedule this week I notice 3 games list as HD, only to tune in and find out it's FOX Widescreen enhanced. What crap. I need to remember that NFC games will not be in true HD.
Right, the DirecTV schedule does mistakenly label the Fox Widescreen games as HD, but as was pointed out this is not a surprise for anyone who reads this forum.

·
Banned
761 Posts
Yeah I knew about it, I just forgot and was looking at the mislabeled listing...they should really change that though, because I am sure the average viewer looking at that listing will tune in and think it's HD. It's a crime.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
In my humble opinion, 480P from Fox, wide screen, looks good to very good with HD being excellent on other networks. You will have to wait til 04 to get HD from Fox, it seems. And it will be 720P, the same as ABC>

·
Banned
761 Posts
Actually if you click on the HD link at the top of the column it does state the difference:

"New this year, select NFL SUNDAY TICKETâ„¢ games are now available in High-Definition (HD).* The games selected for HD broadcast appear on channels 70, 71 and 72 and include one game per week from CBS in HD (1080i - high definition) and two games per week in FOX Widescreenâ„¢ High Resolution Digital TV (480p). Game selection is determined weekly. Click here for the current schedule."

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I still noticed that the Fox widescreen games on D* had a slight vertical jitter, but the same widescreen game on Comcast was really stable looking and it therefore looked much better than the D* broadcast. I guess that D* really can't pass 480p for some reason. I would have thought that this problem would have been fixed since it was evident last week as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.