AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice that Fox's little plug for its HD programming, the whole "broadcasting in the world's finest 720...." thing they've been showing during the playoffs, is not actually in HD? What's wrong with this picture?! :) I love WCBS's self promos for HD, cuz they actually are in HD, and I havent seen any of the other LA or NY network channels with an HD promo like this. But c'mon Fox, if you're going to tout your HD broadcasts, I sure would hope you'd do it in actual HD.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Why spend the money on an HD ad when those with HD already don't care. That ad was made for those poor souls with SD, who can't see it in HD anyway. :)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdspencer
Why spend the money on an HD ad when those with HD already don't care. That ad was made for those poor souls with SD, who can't see it in HD anyway. :)
It's the 'ad' simulcast on the SD channel as well ? I thought they did like CBS where the 'ad' is only aired on the HD channel.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Probably only had enough money left over for SD graphics generator. Where is graphics integrated? An upconvert no doubt, which is not a big problem for GFX.

GT

·
Registered
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PDPnNJ
It's the 'ad' simulcast on the SD channel as well ? I thought they did like CBS where the 'ad' is only aired on the HD channel.
The ad is simulcast on the SD channel too.

After sitting in a sports bar on Sunday watching the NFL games (no DirecTV for me in NYC) and seeing that ad run over and over on the various FOX games, I think it's gotta have an effect on some viewers. There have to be people thinking, "If they're hyping HD this much, maybe I should get HD myself."

I'm glad they're running that ad so often. The more a broadcaster promotes HD, the better.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jergans
The ad is simulcast on the SD channel too.

Great ! I don't watch their SD channel so I didn't know.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
This is nothing to be compared to the CBS HD promo loop that runs for like 5 minutes after a special event that viewers can see if the station doesn't happen to switch back to the SD feed after the event is over.

The Fox ad is a simply 10 sec teaser that states the game is in 720p with Dolby Digital 5.1

All of my stations have HD teasers between commercial breaks of an HD show, even with local sponsoring. Something to the effect of "WFLX, now broadcasting in high definition television, brought to you by the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail"

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bgall
This is nothing to be compared to the CBS HD promo loop that runs for like 5 minutes
5 minutes ? I guess each local CBS has different HD promos. WCBS has one that lasts about 15sec, at most.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The problem with it showing on the SD channel as well is that many people feel they are watching it in HD. They don't yet understand that it takes a new receiver/tuner to receive the HD channel. I've had several people mistakingly think that just because it says "simulcast in HD" or "broadcast in HD" that they were watching precisely that. It's been going on since CBS started it. Of course, I just shake my head....

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PDPnNJ
5 minutes ? I guess each local CBS has different HD promos. WCBS has one that lasts about 15sec, at most.
I guess we weren't talking about the same CBS thing. I thought he was talking about the 5 minute promo that shows a bunch of clips from CBS shows and events in HD. So you're saying the 15 sec WCBS promo for advertising their HD service is actually HD?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bgall
I guess we weren't talking about the same CBS thing. I thought he was talking about the 5 minute promo that shows a bunch of clips from CBS shows and events in HD. So you're saying the 15 sec WCBS promo for advertising their HD service is actually HD?
Yes, they have a 15sec aerial shot of nice places in NYC on HD while commenting about their HD service.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heels98
The problem with it showing on the SD channel as well is that many people feel they are watching it in HD. They don't yet understand that it takes a new receiver/tuner to receive the HD channel. I've had several people mistakingly think that just because it says "simulcast in HD" or "broadcast in HD" that they were watching precisely that. It's been going on since CBS started it. Of course, I just shake my head....
hehehe, those are the same people who think that buying a HDTV means everything is on HD (even commercials) :D

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
yup just plug in your cable and wa-la HD...

Probably the same people that equate an HD display to a plasma first.

·
Registered
250 Posts
not to debate 720p vs 1080i (because I believe that difference is truly in what display you have) but Fox does have the best standard. Because no matter where you are in the country you will always get 720p and 5.1. you will get the full 19.2 mbs. as long as your splicer is installed you will ALWAYS get that. Thats a standard that nobody can touch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
hehehe, those are the same people who think that buying a HDTV means everything is on HD (even commercials)
No offense, but the first person that ever told me that everything on an HDTV was in HD was a manager at Radio Shack!;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.