AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think about it.. NLCS/ALCS, then the World Series, while doing 5-6 NFL games every sunday in HD. So if you start counting from when the ALCS started there is a possibility of 21 HD baseball games (if every series goes 7 games) and 15-17 HD NFL games for the next 3 sundays... So in 20 days we have a possible 38 HD live events ON FOX ALONE! In the same time frame ESPN is only doing 5 live sporting events.

Fox... I tip my hat to you. Simply amazing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I agree. StarChoice now has the NLCS/ALCS in HD on three channels...

HD1 Rogers Sportsnet HD

HD3 FOX HD Detroit

HD7 FOX HD Seattle

Them two HD FOXes have just amazing picture quality....SportsNet HD is good, not great.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by f44
ESPN is also all football.
True right now, but with no more baseball on ESPN, what else do they have for live events until the NBA and College Hoops start since the No Hockey League is not playing?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have to agree, Fox is doing an amazing job. It might have taken them awhile to see that "HD" is the standard. But once they did, they have gone balls out with their broadcast. Think about it, the only thing that is not HD on their MLB broadcast is the "diamond cam", all of their pre and post game interviews are HD. Their in-studio show is in HD. Incredible!!! Maybe NBC should take a look at what going on over at FOX.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
"Fox's HD coverage is amazing..." - ly Awful

ALCS Game 1, 2, and 3 plus NLCS Game 3 - Have Been Nominated for Worst HD Broadcasts of the Year

Audio - dropouts, echoes, humming, repeats, stuttering, buzzing, and screeching

Video - dropouts, SD cams, Diamond Cam, Blur and Grain, Dropouts, Clipping

Announcers -McCarver

Game Coverage - Missed pitches, Late back to every inning

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by g35david
Their in-studio show is in HD.
Nope, it's Widescreen.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph S

ALCS Game 1, 2, and 3 plus NLCS Game 3 - Have Been Nominated for Worst HD Broadcasts of the Year

Announcers -McCarver

Very Amazing.... :) Agreed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:

Announcers -McCarver

I'm not sure it's awful, but there is certainly room for improvement. Definitely better than the old widescreen.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I agree, Im getting increasingly annoyed by the slow camera returns. Instead of seeing a potential wild throw to check a runner at first, I see the runner standing on first already. Even missed one key pitch at the end of game 1 when the Red Sox were threatening. I was also getting funky video dropouts tonight.

The D* FoxHD compared to the OTA is night and day. OTA FoxHD takes the cake, while Ive seen better baseball HD coverage (HDNet did some a while back), OTA FoxHD is quite impressive.

I do applaud the use of many HD cameras. Thats the one thing I didnt like about early Super Bowl HD broadcasts, very few HD cameras. The DiamondCams are useless. Until they start showing what a 90+ mph fastball looks like from the ground up, the catchers should just keep beating the snot out of them.

But, at least they are trying!!! Im glad to see them finally coming online with *true* HD. Heck, they even said "720p" in a commercial tonight. At least they are showing off what they've built!!!

-Chris

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisexv6
But, at least they are trying!!! Im glad to see them finally coming online with *true* HD. Heck, they even said "720p" in a commercial tonight. At least they are showing off what they've built!!!
FOX's attitude has always been to promote the heck out of whatever they are doing. If they spend the money to do it, they try and get financial return on it if they can.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Quote:

Announcers -McCarver

I noticed the humming on the audio in Boston last night ...it was bad. The video had a flicker every once in a while. It would actually jump back a little....the Diamond cam I like....the grain is very noticeable when they go to replay's.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by loadams
I wish they would quit "framing" everything for 4:3. Not just FOX, but all broadcasts.
unfortunately that is years away...no network has the balls to letterbox a sports broadcast..nbc is the only one that i've seen that LB's their scripted shows

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sportsnet HD in canada letterboxes all Toronto Blue Jays games in HD on the SD channel, also their sportsnews show is framed for widescreen, but not sure if the entire thing is HD. Looks fantastic.

fish

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
Is that a typo? Letterboxed shows on SD are on just about every network that also does an HD broadcast. Even some SD-only networks letterbox material that was shot in 16x9.
i was talking about the big four networks(nbc,abc,fox,cbs) that do HD

wb is cool with letterboxing but they don't do it for a whole season..sometimes the season premieres or finales are the only ones HD since they consider them "events"

haven't seen anything on CBS except the occasional sunday movie that was LB'd on the analog feed..haven't seen anything period on ABC..haven't seen anything on FOX either

NBC does third watch, medical investigation, LAX and WAS doing Hawaii..there may be some others but i can't recall off the top of my head

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rakesh.S
unfortunately that is years away...no network has the balls to letterbox a sports broadcast..
Not true.

A few years back, CBS did an NCAA regular season B-Ball game in HD, and letterboxed the SD version. The response was mixed, and the experiment was over.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
On Rogers Sports Net they had their SD feed that was letterboxed put on MLB.TV. Even the video on that was 10X better than any of the other feeds MLB.TV had shown.

On some of my older tvs the Fox broadcasts that are on HD have parts of the scoreboard cut off. The third base on the infield scoreboard is partly cut off.

Fox's Football HD coverage is great, their MLB coverage is subpar at best.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.