AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I originally posted this in the under 3000MSRP range, but thought it would be appropriate to add it here. I need your input.

I am looking for a FP that falls between the $1500 - $3000 range. ($4500MSRP max)

Some info:

1) Room Light Controlled (dark)

2) Movie Watching 100%

3) I want Anamorphic 2:35 (Use zoom method for now)

4) Looking for good contrast and black levels.

5) Room dimensions (Ceiling height = 10 feet, Width = 13 feet, From front wall to where approx lens of FP will be 15.5 feet. Seating Distance at 12 feet.

6) Looking to projector between a 100-103" screen (My speakers steal some room, but dont have enough front to back space to build a false wall)

7) Looking to build a screen out of Wilson art Laminate Designer White.

8) Currently have Samsung Plasma 55"

9) Projector will be on shelf on back wall.

10 Watch movies in SD, but am looking at 1080P with OPPO BD 83

What projector can you recommend that will fit my above scenario with zoom method for 2:35. Will be first PJ but want to make a good solid choice. Since I will be watching 100% movies, I will most likely keep it in 2:35.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Most common options are Epson 6500UB and Panasonic AE3000. I think there is a Sanyo or JVC also but did not research them myself.

Coles notes is that the Epson has slightly better blacks while the Panasonic may have slightly better real world contrast. Both are considered to date probably the best bang for the buck projectors out there. Both are much brighter than you will ever need in a dark room.

There are new models coming later in the fall, but the Epson has a big rebate until the 31st so it is a tough call to wait or not. I decided not to.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You and I are looking for exactly the same thing right now! I sent Jason at AVS an email on Monday but have not heard back.

I have roughly the same room, 12x16 dark media room 10' ceilings. We have a 61" DLP in there now and need the DLP look (sharp,bright, good contrast, good blacks, good color). The only thing different is we will mount on ceiling, 16:9 screen and probably 92" (my front towers limit screen width too)

SO I asked Jason because everything getting good reviews right now is more expensive: infocus 8602 ($5K), planar 8150 ($8K), JVC rs20 ($7K). I'm waiting for the reviews for the new benq w6000 ($2800)

Hope you get good direction here!

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
You might want to check out the Sharp XV-Z15000. There's an AVS thread here. It can be had on the low end of your price range (~$2,000). Check out the lens offset and zoom range (or lact thereof), since they could be factors.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

I can wait a few months or so. I also dont necessary need all the remote controlled memory settings if I can get a pj that has a better picture with less bells and whistles.

I will only be wanting to watch movies in 2:35 (zoom method) and dont think I will be switching back and forth to another ratio very often. With that said if there are other contenders and its a price difference between $3000 - $3500 I would also be interested in what such models have to offer.

Dave

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Daniel

How much time do you guys spend on this forum? I must have been bitten by the HT bug. This could really be addictive

Ok - I do need to be able to zoom, and after much research, I would really like to try DLP or LCos. DLP would be great, however I do aknowledge that I just eliminated most projectors in my price range for doing a zoom for 2:35 at 15.5 feet from pj lens to wall for a 103" width. I also see most DLP do not come with lens shift. I like the look of DLP. reminds me of a analog feel/filmlike image.

So I have a question:

If I were to buy a DLP, and I decided to get an OPPO player to do the vertical stretch, would I just need a DLP that has a decent zoom? In other words, the OPPO does the stretch and I just zoom in?

Any DLP out there now that has a decent zoom?

I also welcome other PJ suggestions for a dark room.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
there is no need for vertical stretching unless you plan on getting an anamorphic lens. What happens is that when you stretch the image, it becomes distorted and the lens undistorts it. HOwever, by doing so you are using the full potential of the chip.

If you are zooming, all you are doing is zooming the image so that it fits the total size of a 2.35 screen. When you watch a 16x9 or 1.85 image, you unzoom so that you only use a portion of the 2.35 screen

Assuming you are getting the lens, then zoom becomes a non issue

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I did not understand zoom fully after all. Good news so I dont need vertical stretch then. if I do I will end up with an OPPO later.

Thanks for clarifying that.

So far its a tough choice, since I am 15.5 feet away and plan on using the Wilson Art Designer White Laminate. I understand that it has a gain of approx 1.24.

Unfortunatley I cannot see these pj's, however I love the reviews, screenshots, and looks of the infocus 83 DLP. However its out of the question since I need to do a shelf mount and this pj gives over 45 lamberts in the calculator. Talk about needing sunglasses

The only PJ that I have on mind at this point that could work for my above scenario is the JVC RS 10 or Sony HW 10.

I do wish that the DLP were a little more flexible with zoom, since I now know that I dont need vertical shift for zooming. I really dont need all the bells and whistles with zooming as I will watch movies 100% with 2:35. I rather want a good image for a decent price than all the bells and whistles.

Any other ideas welcome

Dave

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you watch 100% movies in 2.35:1 you don't need any zoom. Only if you're changing between 16:9 and 2.35:1.

If 2.35:1 constitutes the majority of your viewing you can still avoid zooming by scaling the 16:9 image to fit the 2.35:1 screen. This can be done by an external processor or a home-theater PC.

Also, the brightness of the IN83 can be adjusted by using the static iris. You won't have any problems with it being too bright.

BR

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler /forum/post/17061904

If you watch 100% movies in 2.35:1 you don't need any zoom. Only if you're changing between 16:9 and 2.35:1.

If 2.35:1 constitutes the majority of your viewing you can still avoid zooming by scaling the 16:9 image to fit the 2.35:1 screen. This can be done by an external processor or a home-theater PC.

Also, the brightness of the IN83 can be adjusted by using the static iris. You won't have any problems with it being too bright.

BR

Ok maybe I need to re-educate myself on 2:35. Drexler want to make sure I understand.

If I were interested in 2:35, you mentioned that I do not have to zoom. The only way I know where you do not have to zoom for 2:35 is if you have a processor/scaler that stretches the image vertically and you then attach a lens to get 2:35. (Also known as CIH)

You mentioned that if I stay with a 100% 2:35 aspect ratio movies and dont switch to 16:9, I dont have to zoom at all. So I take it that you mean that I can achieve 2:35 without a lens and also without the zooming method by using a scaler/processor only? I am not understanding this part how is it possible to get 2:35 without vertical shift and lens or without zooming. I thought those were the only two ways of getting a 2:35.

Thanks for suggestions - I want to make sure I understand this.

Dave

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio2000 /forum/post/17064297

Ok maybe I need to re-educate myself on 2:35. Drexler want to make sure I understand.

If I were interested in 2:35, you mentioned that I do not have to zoom. The only way I know where you do not have to zoom for 2:35 is if you have a processor/scaler that stretches the image vertically and you then attach a lens to get 2:35. (Also known as CIH)

You mentioned that if I stay with a 100% 2:35 aspect ratio movies and dont switch to 16:9, I dont have to zoom at all. So I take it that you mean that I can achieve 2:35 without a lens and also without the zooming method by using a scaler/processor only? I am not understanding this part how is it possible to get 2:35 without vertical shift and lens or without zooming. I thought those were the only two ways of getting a 2:35.

Thanks for suggestions - I want to make sure I understand this.

Dave

Basically, you buy a 2.35:1 screen and set the projector up so that a 2.35:1 movie fills the entire screen. You will have the black bars projected above and below the screen. If you have a dark wall (or set up masking panels for them), they won't be visible.

If you also want to see some 16:9 content, you can decrease the picture size (without distortion) using a scaler so that the height of the 16:9 image fits within the height of the 2.35:1 screen, leaving you with black bars on the sides of the screen. You will loose some resolution for 16:9 viewing doing this, but still have higher than 720p.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler /forum/post/17064992

Basically, you buy a 2.35:1 screen and set the projector up so that a 2.35:1 movie fills the entire screen. You will have the black bars projected above and below the screen. If you have a dark wall (or set up masking panels for them), they won't be visible.

If you also want to see some 16:9 content, you can decrease the picture size (without distortion) using a scaler so that the height of the 16:9 image fits within the height of the 2.35:1 screen, leaving you with black bars on the sides of the screen. You will loose some resolution for 16:9 viewing doing this, but still have higher than 720p.

Thanks Drexler,

Do you know of a scaler that is a good bang for the buck? Will the new OPPO player be able to do this?

Dave

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio2000 /forum/post/17065074

Thanks Drexler,

Do you know of a scaler that is a good bang for the buck? Will the new OPPO player be able to do this?

Dave

I guess not. I don't think any DVD/Bluray player can do this. I think the cheapest option is using a computer (it doesn't have to be very advanced).

I don't know much about external scalers. Lumagen Radiance can do it for sure, probably also other cheaper Lumagens. Maybe someone else can fill in?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Guys -

If I dont get a scaler and I have the PJ dialed in for 2:35. If I had to watch a 16:9 image would I just get black bars on the sides? If so I can live with that and do masking.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
No,

The image would fill the 16:9 frame and spill off the screen.

If you are gonna watch some 16:9 just be sure your projector has enough zoom.

Depending on where you mount it you may or may not need it to be remote controlled.

Where are you gonna mount the projector? ie.. ceiling, shelf, low hanging ceiling...

·
Banned
386 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drexler

Thanks Drexler,

Multiple Zoom Modes - The BDP-83 supports multiple levels of aspect ratio control and image zooming, including a vertical stretch mode for customers with a 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) display system.
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.