AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until a few months ago I was set with getting a 50" Panny at the turn of the year (when I move into my new loft).

This all changed recently when learning of the new Sony and DNP/Screen Innovatons black screens for front projection. For those of you who are not familiar, these essentially allow you to watch front projection in ambient light with minimal fade.

Here's a thread going over some of the latest news/images http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=561810

Apparently Cedia will be very interesting on the FP front...

In any case, this may be heresay to say this, but my main interest in a technology is how unobstrusive it is, esp. once material is released where the screen can actually be rolled up. I'm one of those weirdos who actually prefers the TV to not be the focal point of the living room, and in fact if possible make it disappear when not in use. Being able to have a screen of 100"+ is just icing on the cake...

So anyway, are there any others sitting on the plasma wings waiting with baited breath for these things?

·
Registered
491 Posts
very interesting beau 2.

on the one hand, i will very much welcome this screen technology. i have a panny pj and will upgrade it later this year possibly. if the new screen technology trickles down over to europe, which i doubt it will in the short term, unless at rediculously high prices, then i would have one.

on the other hand, i dont want to have a projector to replace my tv viewing. im looking for a flat screen for that in any case. then the magic of the projector is preserved for me!!!

krlock2

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
krlock2,

Why not a projector for TV viewing? Honestly, I'm not sure why there's need to complicate matters if light control has been thrown out the window...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What, no one finds this intriguing... I find that rather shocking.

So one more bump and then I'll let it die.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The comparison shot in the linked thread is certainly impressive. Though I'm not a big fan of watching SD or doing casual viewing such as news on such a large screen so I'd still want my pdp for that regardless. This could be ideal for bars and sports fans who don't want to watch the game in the dark. I'd just be curious how much of a compromise the black material is compared to white.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
You will get a much better picture with the plasma (even with the blackscreen for the projector).

You will get a much bigger picture with the projector.

The choice of priorities is yours to make.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had a DLP front projector for years. I now have a plamsa and there is NO WAY I'd go back unless I was building a dedicated home theater in my basement with no windows.

I'm sure the tech is good, but not perfect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Last time I checked, all of the new black projector screens filter out manmade light (incandescent, flourescent, etc...) and NOT natural sunlight. Also, they are very expensive and don't roll up out of the way (yet).

We've been using our Benq PB6200 for a year as our main TV, and have accumulated about 1400 hours on the bulb. A NEC 42VM5 is on it's way since we're moving and the new house doesn't have vaulted ceilings. Also, my wife prefers to have a 'regular' TV to watch during the day so she can actually SEE it.

I'm considering using the PJ just for movies at the new place, but we'll see...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
98GSR,

They filter ambient sunlight, direct I believe will have some fade. Or so it appears with the DNP screen. The Sony seems to be a bit of a letdown. And right, they don't roll up yet, but it has been stated they will - there is nothing about this technology which precludes that.

As I said in the first post _my_ #1 priority is getting a TV out of the living room. I just don't care for it as a piece of furniture. I thought for many that was a motivating factor for flat panel displays, their space efficiency.

Without a doubt a good plasma will give a superior picture, at least without resorting to a very expensive projector and optimal lighting conditions. But if you can get like say 70% of the picture in a well lit room, with the convenience of near total stowage, and a _huge_ picture... I mean I think it's worth serious consideration.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussader
You will get a much better picture with the plasma (even with the blackscreen for the projector).

You will get a much bigger picture with the projector.

The choice of priorities is yours to make.
I have not yet seen any plasma that can match "PQ" of proper 720p projector setup. Might be true that lot bigger screen used with projectors seems to add much to "wow" factor :)

I am considering getting plasma or lcd 32"-37" for some tv use :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.