AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this earlier, but apparently in the wrong forum:

I was recently in Best Buy and noticed they had some nice sales on 1080p FP's. They needed to be moved fast as the newer models were due out (I assume for the 4th).

Personally, I don't need anything new or fancy in terms of cutting edge models, but I do know there are some things I do want.

I'm looking for a Plasma Flat Panel, 1080p, between 40 and 50 inches, and less than $2000.

I primarily use my HD cable, Oppo DVD player, and PS3 that I'll most likely get with the TV.

I have a Geffen 2to2 box for my HDMI inputs and outputs to my TV and projector, so the TV should have at least 2 HDMI inputs (one for the Geffen, and one for the PS3). All sound goes to my Marantz receiver.

Like I said, I don't need cutting edge, but I would like to purchase a TV and not have to worry about it until the next bump in resolution, or 5 years, or 10, whatever.

I'll also be taking all the proper steps for burn-in (although I have no idea how that's done or the best way to go about it) and eventually professional calibration beyond my own limited amateur calibration.

So, any models at Best Buy, or any other vendor (including here), that stand out as solid purchases that meet my requirements?

Thanks boys and girls.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalheaven /forum/post/14251486

I posted this earlier, but apparently in the wrong forum:

I was recently in Best Buy and noticed they had some nice sales on 1080p FP's. They needed to be moved fast as the newer models were due out (I assume for the 4th).

Personally, I don't need anything new or fancy in terms of cutting edge models, but I do know there are some things I do want.

I'm looking for a Plasma Flat Panel, 1080p, between 40 and 50 inches, and less than $2000.

I primarily use my HD cable, Oppo DVD player, and PS3 that I'll most likely get with the TV.

I have a Geffen 2to2 box for my HDMI inputs and outputs to my TV and projector, so the TV should have at least 2 HDMI inputs (one for the Geffen, and one for the PS3). All sound goes to my Marantz receiver.

Like I said, I don't need cutting edge, but I would like to purchase a TV and not have to worry about it until the next bump in resolution, or 5 years, or 10, whatever.

I'll also be taking all the proper steps for burn-in (although I have no idea how that's done or the best way to go about it) and eventually professional calibration beyond my own limited amateur calibration.

So, any models at Best Buy, or any other vendor (including here), that stand out as solid purchases that meet my requirements?

Hi, glad to see you came over to the plasma forum

At your price point, the leading contenders will be the 50" Panasonic PZ80U or PZ85U, or maybe one of the Samsung offerings but i have a lot more faith in Panasonic products and their customer service.

The various Forum Sponsors have much better prices than BB if you don't mind doing without the 30-day return policy.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/14252063

At your price point, the leading contenders will be the 50" Panasonic PZ80U or PZ85U, or maybe one of the Samsung offerings but i have a lot more faith in Panasonic products and their customer service.

I ended up getting the PN50A550. I found a superb deal and free shipping. I never consider customer support into my buying equation because I've always had good luck with handling them. I hope I didn't make a mistake by not considering the PZ80U. I wonder how the two stand up to each other.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by altrashstuff /forum/post/14310738

You've got yourself a pretty good tv. Its mid level samsung. But very good colors and tweakability. Congratulations.

Thanks Al! I'm pretty psyched about it. I'm expecting Jeff M. (from these forums) in August for a pro. calibration.

Because my colors and seating distance (way too close) aren't right yet, I haven't necessarily been blown away by it (and having a calibrated projector and a calibrated, smaller HDTV has spoiled me), but I played Super Stardust HD on my PS3 recently, in all it's 1080p 60 fps glory, and I was friggin' mesmerized for like 3 hours. Just beautiful. (Arcade colors aren't required to be accurate
)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts