AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have decided to look at getting a HDTV solution for the house. I almost got the Sony 40xbr800 last year but because I was still doing work on my house I held off - can't see moving a 350lb beast around while working on things. At any rate, time passed and when I was ready to buy I found the new Sony LCD RPTVs. I was amazed at the color and picture quality, not to mention the weight of the set! I've always liked the DLP sets but they are way over priced, at least in RP form. And while the DLP RPTVs have better contrast I don't think they have better color vs the Sony LCD RPTV. So, back in Dec. I "ordered" the Sony KF-50WE610 from Sears when they had 10% off + price match to CC + 0% fin. During my wait I started to do some research to see what else was out there. To my surprise I found FPJs that were less then RPTVs! So during the wait I started to read reviews of the various FPJ models and came down to a small list of ones that I would like to consider for a HT in my house.

Sharp A10X

BenQ 6100

BenQ 6200

Sanyo Z2

Panasonic L500U

I know this is a pretty wide range of FPJs to focus on but each has it's own perks - from LCD to DLP, to SVGA, XGA, WXGA. Not to mention other factors like cost, etc. At the moment the BenQ 6200 looks like the best choice but I'm not able to find anyone that carries it in my area (or any BenQ's). Btw, I'm located in Delaware. I'm also not able to find anyone that demos any of the other units as well. So with the help of the people on this forum I'm trying to find out which of the FPJs would best fit my needs. Listed below is my possible setup for a HT.

Room Size: One of two rooms can be used.

1) Living room 17.75'L x 11.25'W

2) Family room 14'L x 9.50'W

Room Lighting:

1) Living room - not overly bright when windows covered but does have light, has one large window + a double window. Walls painted in a dark beige color with a grayish/white ceiling.

2) Family room - not very bright without lamps on or door open, only has one double window. Walls painted deep blue with the same grayish/white ceiling.

Viewing Habits:

1) Standard TV, 2 to 3 hours a day

2) DVD, 4+ movies a week

3) Xbox, 2 hours a week

3) HDTV, none yet since I don't have a rec. or a HDTV. But I assume that I would watch about 1 or so hours (on avg.) a day of HDTV. Btw, I'm not a big ABC/NBC/CBS TV watcher.

Current Setup:

1) Yamaha vx1300 rec./amp.

2) Paradigm Studio 60 (front)

3) Paradigm Ref. CC (center)

4) Paradigm ADP (sides)

5) Panasonic XP30 DVD player

6) Xbox

7) DishNetwork rec. with S-VHS/Composite out (will need to upgrade to HDTV rec. or go cable). But from what I was told by a friend, Sat. has much better PQ - at least with Dish Network. I've seen DirectTV and I'm not impressed with the signal compression on some stations.

8) Don't laugh - Sony 19" TV (had a 27" but sold it to a friend when I moved in to the place last year).

Now for the real dilemma, the Sony KF-50WE610 RP LCD TV came in today as scheduled (1/22/04), which I was not expecting since they are back ordered everywhere. So before I have a chance to think further about FPJ I need to figure out what to do.

1) Forget the KF-50WE610 and put 100% of the money to a FPJ + screen.

2) Get the KF-50WE610 and forget FPJ until next year when the "newer" stuff comes out.

3) Get the KF-50WE610 since it works well in a lighted room and buy an affordable/lower end solution for a FPJ room (BenQ 6100 + DIY screen).

So based on my current setup, room size, lighting, viewing habits, etc. what would you recommend? Thanks in advance to all that can help me on my quest for BOTH normal TV viewing and DVD/HDTV nirvana.javascript:smilie(':)')

LucidScreen

·
Registered
166 Posts
Lucid - I don't know exactly what to tell you. All of your projectors listed are respected around here, so I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of them. Of course you wouldn't have to look far for arguments stating why one pj is better than another, but IMO that's mostly personal preference if you're looking at similar units.

The thing I think you'd want to know is whether you prefer LCD or DLP picture - they are different (even putting aside the rainbow issue). If you haven't yet, I'd try to find a way to demo units that are at least similar to your selections to see what picture you like best. Short of that, go with the unit you like best on paper but be sure to buy it from a place that will let you easily return it if you do not like it - if possible get the return policy in writing before you buy.

Best of luck in your endeavor...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Lucid,

The 6200 is not out yet...it is supposed to be shipping by the end of the month, but most know how that goes. I am anxiously awaiting its arrival because i want to buy one...hope that helps a little

Mike

·
Registered
173 Posts
Lucid,

Here is a quick idea that I used when I was looking for a projector. BB and Comp usa have projector that might be similar to what you are looking for. You could (if you have the time and money) buy one hook it up in each of rooms and see how you like. It might not be a perfect match but with each place you have a 30 day money back return policy. I believe a lot of people in these forums have gone to BB to the computer department to check out the x1. That is a dpl projector and even though its not the ideal environment, you might be able to see if you see the rainbows that some people see, and that could narrow down your choices.

good luck

·
Registered
166 Posts
Let me add that you can audition the Infocus X1 in your home at no cost using the Infocus demo program. See Technut's unofficial X1 FAQ here . I'd suggest this as a way to demo a DLP with no money out of pocket at all. You can find the Epson S1 at a lot of Sam's Clubs - I think you have them in your area - which would give you an idea of LCD technology. IIRC Sam's has a good return policy as well. From what I understand, if you like what you see on either of these units, you'll probably like the units on your list better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.