AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
o.k. , I know I should have a good grasp on this by now, but one final question regarding fr mode.

I'm planning on recording some movies off Dtivo that are 2 hours with commercials. When you edit out commercials, I'm assuming it's going to come out around 1 1/2 hours.

My question is: Do I need to time the commercials as I'm watching it on tivo to know exactly what the time of the movie is before I record it to the e-80 in fr mode or is there a little bit of a safety factor built in where I don't have to know the exact time ? I want to be able to high speed dub to a dvd-r, but I hope I don't have to time the commercials before I record to the e-80.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
You have to know the exact time (after editing). e.g. if you program an FR record time of 1:30, the unit will stop recording at 1:29:56. It always stops about 4 seconds before the specified time. If you want a safety net, you'll have to build it in yourself by adding an extra minute or two beyond your running time calculations.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Like JeffWild said. I have all the original MST3Ks on tape that I want to remove all the spots from and put on dvd. In order to maximize quality, I fast forward thru all the commercials, total their time and subtract that from the overall length.

It takes a bit of time, but I figure the quality gain is worth it for really important material.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I guess I'll just fast forward through the commercials and time it before I transfer to the e-80. I would rather has 1.5 hours at fr than at sp.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tider
I'm planning on recording some movies off Dtivo that are 2 hours with commercials.
Hopefully these are made-for-TV movies/miniseries.

You do realize that theatrical movies that are rerun are hacked to bits (not even including stuff cut/bleeped "for content")???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattack
Hopefully these are made-for-TV movies/miniseries.

You do realize that theatrical movies that are rerun are hacked to bits (not even including stuff cut/bleeped "for content")???
That's the main reason I never watch or record theatrical movies off the networks. I can't stand what they typically do to the movies.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by back2future
That's the main reason I never watch or record theatrical movies off the networks. I can't stand what they typically do to the movies.
including making a 2 hour movie into 3 by introducing 1hr of commercial crap, tbs, scifi etc are just the worst. I will never burn a movie from those channels, I just put it on a wishlist and autorecord with tivo and wait until it's on hbo etc at 4am on a tuesday morning if I really want it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
An added note...it's a real pain to run out of time and have to start over. I typically add 2 or 3 minutes to the time I think I need just to be sure I don't run short (a lifelong problem, hehe).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.