AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fabric Frames - Using Miratec 5/4" Trim for frame

As several of you must have read the methods GPowers used (and several others that followed modifications) to build the fabric frames, I wanted to know your opinion on the below.

I was at a local stores (Menards) and noticed the Miratec Trim which was 5/4" thick (1.25").

I was wondering if this can be used for the fabric frames instead of using 2 strips of 1/2" to get to the 1" thickness. This may save some time building the frames. The trim looked strong and didn't feel like it would curl under the pressure from the wrapped fabric. The material used is free of urea and is rated for indoor use.

I got a few trim pieces to test them out. I made 48" x 22" frames and I did a pocket join to attach the ends together but the trim was splitting. So I tried the brad nailer and that worked fine. One face of the trim has a pattern and other side is smooth.

Do you guys see any issues with using this method or the material used.

You could search menards website for the product specifications. Below is the product name and sku.
5/4" x 2" x 8' MiraTEC Engineered Wood Fiber Trim

Model Number: 1432469 | Menards® SKU: 1432469

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
As several of you must have read the methods GPowers used (and several others that followed modifications) to build the fabric frames, I wanted to know your opinion on the below.

I was at a local stores (Menards) and noticed the Miratec Trim which was 5/4" thick (1.25").

I was wondering if this can be used for the fabric frames instead of using 2 strips of 1/2" to get to the 1" thickness. This may save some time building the frames. The trim looked strong and didn't feel like it would curl under the pressure from the wrapped fabric. The material used is free of urea and is rated for indoor use.

I got a few trim pieces to test them out. I made 48" x 22" frames and I did a pocket join to attach the ends together but the trim was splitting. So I tried the brad nailer and that worked fine. One face of the trim has a pattern and other side is smooth.

Do you guys see any issues with using this method or the material used.

You could search menards website for the product specifications. Below is the product name and sku.
5/4" x 2" x 8' MiraTEC Engineered Wood Fiber Trim

Model Number: 1432469 | Menards® SKU: 1432469
I used 5/4" x 4" finger jointed pine to build my fabric frames. Purchased from Big Orange. The FJ pine was straight unlike much of the other pine so easy to rip to the desired depth. If the FJ pine is less expensive than the engineered MiraTEC wood, consider that. If you use the MiraTEC, confirm that it is at least as rigid as the pine, ie, will not flex when you stretch fabric over it.

I used the Kreg pocket hole jig to join the frames. I did not have any splitting issues. Make sure you have set the jig for the correct wood thickness.

If you're interested, assembly of one of my final frames is documented HERE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used 5/4" x 4" finger jointed pine to build my fabric frames. Purchased from Big Orange. The FJ pine was straight unlike much of the other pine so easy to rip to the desired depth. If the FJ pine is less expensive than the engineered MiraTEC wood, consider that. If you use the MiraTEC, confirm that it is at least as rigid as the pine, ie, will not flex when you stretch fabric over it.

I used the Kreg pocket hole jig to join the frames. I did not have any splitting issues. Make sure you have set the jig for the correct wood thickness.

If you're interested, assembly of one of my final frames is documented HERE.
Thanks Red. That is a good suggestion. I think the miraTEC will hold. It seems pretty sturdy at 4' cuts. At 8' it bends/sways a little.
I will wrap some existing fabric on it and see if it holds. I have not ordered fabric as yet.
I tried to look up for FJ in local stores, (HD, Lowes and Menards) they do not have the 5/4" variety.
I am good on Kreg Jig as that is what I am using. I read through your documenation. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts