AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put together a quick video review of the FRAGnStein mouse controller for the PS3, using Killzone 2 as demonstration game.

You can check it out here-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrcdWfQH4Gk

It's my first video I've put together, so go easy on me!

Here's what I wrote up about COD WAW-

It took me a little while to get the FRAGnStein setup with the COD WAW to be to my liking. I adjusted COD WAW's controller settings to 6 on speed, and turned off "auto aim" or whatever the option is called, and turned the FRAGnStein sensitivity up a couple of clicks on the scroll wheel. It felt the best for me, I did notice a bit of jittering while moving the mouse to aim. I couldn't find a setting that would stop it, or make it go completely away, so I went back to my original settings, where I thought it was the best control. One thing I noticed, if I would use the aim button (L1) and move the mouse around, it was smooth, no jittering at all.

Once I got the settings to where I felt they were best, I played some Nazi Zombies, story mode and some online play. I had no issues, other than the jittery movement with the mouse, with Zombie or Online play. (I just suck at playing against other players, so I'm usually in the bottom of the ranking, and that's not because I'm using the FS controller, it's just how I am, I'm no good at COD multiplayer games!) While playing the story mode, at one point I was looking down, and I couldn't look back up, I could move, shoot and just about everything else, but the mouse movement wasn't working, it was stuck in one position. I turned the mouse off, and on again, and I was back in business, it didn't happen again.

I do think a firmware or something should come out for the FRAGnStein to fix some of the problems that are being reported. I still like it and will continue to use it.

-Gren

·
Registered
593 Posts
Nice video, thanks for that. You said in the video you had a fragfx, so my question for you is this: Did you find the mouse buttons of the fragfx to be too unresponsive? If so, are these much better? This is pretty much the main concern I have (outside of the stupid amount of money I will be spending on batteries if I end up getting this lol).

Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice video review. When I first purchased my PS3 I would have loved to have had this product but I just forced myself to play with the sixaxis and now I don't even know if I could or would want to go back to a mouse.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MrHunt,

Originally on the FRAGnStein, I thought the buttons on the mouse (X,O, Triangle & Square) were not very responsive, but, either I've gotten used to them, or they just needed breaking in, as it seems they are working better for me. The mouse buttons (R1 & R2) work perfectly for me, never had an issue with them.

On the FragFX V2, my main problems with it are that the mouse felt too light, and the nunchuck is an awkward shape, at least for my hands. The cable gets in the way too, but I think I got spoiled with having wireless controllers. The FragFX V2 has a tweak utility that allows you to change the sensitivity of the buttons, I wasn't able to figure out how to adjust the buttons with it, but I never really tried more than once.

I still think the FRAGnStein needs a tweak utility for the PS3 to adjust the buttons and it might need a firmware upgrade to fix the jittery movement in COD WAW. I don't have COD 4 MW so I can't test it on that game.

HTH!

Gren

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Looks like an awesome piece of hardware. $80 is a tad too much for it though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gren, thanks for the video. In the clip, you mention the scroll wheel is used to look left/right/up/down, but the actual mouse action "goes back and forth". Does that mean the mousing action only does left/right or does it function as left/right/up/down, too?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzo /forum/post/16970061

Gren,

I own the Fragfx v2 and was wondering if the Fragnstein also had that cheap plastic material. I might take a dive at the Fragnstein due to its wireless!!!

The FRAGnStein mouse is definitely a ton better the the FragFX mouse. It's plastic seems strong, and the weight of the mouse is just right, it's definitely heavier than the FragFX mouse and feels a lot nicer too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinebubble /forum/post/16970433

Gren, thanks for the video. In the clip, you mention the scroll wheel is used to look left/right/up/down, but the actual mouse action "goes back and forth". Does that mean the mousing action only does left/right or does it function as left/right/up/down, too?

Yeah I noticed that too in my video!

The mouse goes which ever direction you move it, left/right/up/down & diagonals.

I've noticed you can make circular motion with the mouse, and in the game, which ever FPS game you try, the curser will move in a circular motion as well, so that is a really nice feature.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been trying the FRAGnStein on COD:WAW again last night, and I didn't have any problems with jittery screen movement. It was nice and smooth. I even turned off the PS3, and unplugged the dongle(basically a reboot) and it still worked really well. Its almost as if the controller is learning the games, or my PS3 just needed to be turned off! :p

Working on my Veteran trophy's with the FRAGnStein, seems to help me aim a lot better for sure!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Nice video review, thanks for taking the time to post it for us. I for one think this thing would be great! Back in the days of the Dreamcast I used a "madcatz" Panther DC controller for Quake 3 and UT, it is basically a flightstick with buttons and a trackball for aiming. It was a deadly controller for FPS.

I have always stunk, or gave up on M/B combos but this thing looked pretty kool...my only problem would be I normally sit in a lazyboy chair and play..I would need some kind of table for the mouse portion. Very interesting controller with the new COD looming.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
So, are the controls as customizable as they claim?

When I used to play FPS on the PC, I typically bound my right mouse button to move forward.

That still possible?

Though, now that I think about it, it would be a little weird.

Damn it, give me a keyboard!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd /forum/post/16974569

my only problem would be I normally sit in a lazyboy chair and play..I would need some kind of table for the mouse portion. Very interesting controller with the new COD looming.

I bought a "lap table", basically a tray size table with a beanbag pillow under it, and found it to be the best solution when I'm lounging on my couch and playing FPS games with the FRAGnStein. I bought the table originally for my FragFX because I didn't want to be sitting up leaning over a table to use the controller.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/16975084

So, are the controls as customizable as they claim?

When I used to play FPS on the PC, I typically bound my right mouse button to move forward.

That still possible?

Though, now that I think about it, it would be a little weird.

Damn it, give me a keyboard!

They don't have a utility for the PS3 yet, but say they are going to release it this week, so you can re-map the buttons and adjust the sensitivity of them.

They do have a utility for the PC though, which allows you to change the button configuration for PC games.

·
Registered
516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenZeiram /forum/post/16975201

They don't have a utility for the PS3 yet, but say they are going to release it this week, so you can re-map the buttons and adjust the sensitivity of them.

They do have a utility for the PC though, which allows you to change the button configuration for PC games.

Any other users of this controller/mouse setup? When does the new Splitfish controllers come out?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLocal175 /forum/post/17335604

Any other users of this controller/mouse setup? When does the new Splitfish controllers come out?

Bannco did come out with their remapping tool for the PS3, it's nice for when you want to make button changes and a rapid fire option.

I added a couple other videos of the FRAGnStein here- FRAGnStein Videos

I plan on making another one of a variety of games in use with the FRAGnStein and want to make a FragFX comparison video, once I get my friends FragFX.

Not sure when Splitfish is coming out with their new wireless controller, but there is a video on youtube of it here- Wireless Dual SFX Frag Pro

I tried asking the person who posted that video when it comes out, but they haven't responded, since they have their comments moderated.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Not that it would be worth getting the whole thing for this purpose, but I bet the left hand part would be better than the Dual Shock 3 for pairing with the upcoming motion controller. This thing is actually designed to be held with one hand. I wonder if they would consider releasing that on its own.

BTW, how will the utility work? I don't think they can just run something in the background like you can on a PC. Does this device have onboard memory to store settings like that, like many gaming mice?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for the review, Gren. This looks pretty interesting. All of my previous FPS experience has been on the Wii. It's really hard to come from the nunchuck and IR pointer set up over to dual analog and I've been getting owned in BF 1943. This looks like a great solution. The price is a little steep, but it sounds like its worth it.

·
Registered
593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wes /forum/post/17342582

Thanks for the review, Gren. This looks pretty interesting. All of my previous FPS experience has been on the Wii. It's really hard to come from the nunchuck and IR pointer set up over to dual analog and I've been getting owned in BF 1943. This looks like a great solution. The price is a little steep, but it sounds like its worth it.

ALL of your previous FPS experience is from the Wii? WTF?! You have never played one on the PC at least? My mind is seriously blown right now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl /forum/post/17336861

Not that it would be worth getting the whole thing for this purpose, but I bet the left hand part would be better than the Dual Shock 3 for pairing with the upcoming motion controller. This thing is actually designed to be held with one hand. I wonder if they would consider releasing that on its own.

BTW, how will the utility work? I don't think they can just run something in the background like you can on a PC. Does this device have onboard memory to store settings like that, like many gaming mice?

The utility for the PC side allows you to save multiple profiles, where it looks like the PS3 side only saves one profile, so if you switch the R1 & R2 buttons around with the utility, it will be that way for all games on the PS3. You plug the dongle into a PC to make all changes for both the PC and PS3, it saves the changes to the dongle, then you plug that back into the PS3 and what ever changes you've made work on the PS3.

I've only ever changed the R1 & R2 buttons around on it for those games that use the R2 for firing, I just got used to using the R1 for for my main trigger and easily forget to push R2 if the game is set up for using that as firing.

I'm still pretty happy with the controller with the FPS games I've tried it on.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.