AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is the plan as it stands right now. I want the ability to remove the screen from the wall if necessary. Im getting some of the MDF as mentioned by MM in the velvet border thread, i am going to make a back frame out of that, i will use L brackets and plates to secure it.

step two lay sintra on top

step three: I had the sintra cut for 2 inches of border overlay on the sides and 1 on the tops and bottoms. the front frame after being wrpped with the velvet will sandwich the sintra in between it and back frame with a little bit of spill all the way around since the MDF will be 3 1/4 or 4" but this will be nice since it will creat that floating effect.

step 4: turn everything over so the screen is face down, drive nails that will go through the rear frame, through the sintra, then into the front frame's without going all the way through it, that way, no need for hole punch, or worry about the velvet ripping or anything.

step 5: put french cleats on long edge of back frame where they will hit studs when driven into wall.

BOOM, think that will work. if you see any problems with it PLEASE tell me, before its too late!!!

I havent gotten the velvet yet, should i get the stuff here: http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/P...Velvet/681/264

or can i just get it at Michaels?

dont think i have anything else right now. poke away guys!!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts
Poke? Ya need a whuppin!

I hope you brought home the extra "Sintra cuts, because your gonna need then for spacers between the Trim and Back Frame on those 1" overages. 1" is just too small a "ledge" to adequately support the Trim and keep it straight and flush/flat against the edges of the Sintra. I'd also suggest using some wood glue as well.....but sparingly.

That nailing from behind? BAD idea. Use 1-1/4" Finish Nails driven in from the Front and set with a small tipped Nail Set (Punch) The Velevet won't rip, and the nails will set under the fabric.

·
Premium Member
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so with the wood glue, I could put some of this on REAR frame cross braces to help? Then I was thinking of assembling the frame and using some of the finish nails to secure around the border of the sintra before I put on the velvet wrapped pieces which will cover where the finish nails are. This will go ahead and have the rear secured pretty well with it being the "load bearing" part. once that is on and done, then i can assemble the front velvet wrapped parts last, tacking them on from front to back. sound right?

·
Premium Member
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/19638311

All this after the paintings done....right?

I was planning on putting the rear frame on first before painting. This would allow me to mount the frame/screen to the wall well while spraying. No?

·
Premium Member
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benix /forum/post/19640347

Seems like I did something fairly similar to what you are describing. It's a little extra work, but would certainly then allow you to hang this screen in multiple ways to be able to remove it quickly when needed. (Frech cleats, Rubbermaid-type metal brackets and tracks, etc.)

Here's my scren thread, if it can help:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1294958

That is great! I had read through yours before but then hadnt remembered where I had seen that. My frame while it defers a little bit will hopefully have the same end result! I plan on taking pics as well! I am a bit on hold to do the front frame as I need to paint the screen first and have to order some of the SF Components online. crapfish! oh well, gives me time to get the sintra mounted to the back frame and have it set and ready for when the paint arrives!!!! great job on your screen, I hope my turns out the same and I will be VERY HAPPY!!

·
Premium Member
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
while workin on the rear frame of my screen last night, i noticed some blemishes in the sheet of sintra. these are not "mar marks" as have previously been questioned but actually one looks like someone scraped it across a dang cinderblock. It left an indentation in the actual surface. Needless to say I am furious! although I flipped the sheet around and couldnt seem to find any blemishes on the other side, however there is a black "rub" line from top to bottom that wont come off. Im sure this will cover ok in the long run though as it isnt dark dark, just moderately dark.

Hope i dont get the duster coats on and find more blemishes. this would cause a major issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts