AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a very simple question.

What is the best way (what software) to capture a single still frame from a DVD?

I am still using WinDVD 2000 and I do not think it has this capability.

I'd like to save some still shots from movies in full 1280 x 720 resolution.

Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The new WinDVD 4 Plus has a screen capture feature, but I don't know what the quality is like. I generally use PowerDVD to create fairly HQ captures -- the only format is a .BMP unless you capture to the clipboard and manipulate the image in another program. Finally, you can use HyperSnap DX from http://www.hyperionics.com/hsdx/ - you can use it to capture the DVD overlay, video game screens, etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have had some trouble using PowerDVD's capture function. On first install, it works. Then, once I change to my funky 896x504 resolution, PowerDVD disables the capture option. Is this to be expected? This happened both with PowerDVD 3.0 and PowerDVD XP running on my Windows ME machine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jolenicz,

Have you tried capturing the DVD in its native resolution rather than screen resolution? It's in the configuration tab for the aspect ratio (I think). The only time I had a problem with the screen capture being disabled was when I installed an OEM copy of WinDVD 4 over the XP demo version. The OEM disc was a higher driver release with the latest patches embedded. Then I found that I couldn't make screen caps and my speaker config. was limited to 2 speakers! I uninstalled that crap and used the CD as a coaster for my coffee mug.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

I have a copy of PowerDVD so maybe I'll load it and see if it works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.