AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've attached a TIFF of my basement development plans including a home theater (upper right corner).

Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome before the hammers start swinging on Saturday.

Derek

· Registered
158 Posts
Make sure to add an extra board at the corners so you always have something to nail your drywall to

(I tried to explain more what I mean but I couldn't understand my own explaination, maybe some else can decipher what I mean and explain it better)

· Registered
220 Posts
Where's da TIFF?!?

· Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try again to post the TIFF. The file may be too big so I'll try a ZIP file

hometheater.zip 27.2900390625k . file

Attachments

· Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
schoho,

Thanks for the feedback. It is also nice to hear that someone can actually open the file (some are having problems). The diagonal wall is to satisfy codes to keep it far enough away from the hot water heater and furnace. I'll see what I can do though.

Derek

· Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good suggestion Schoho,

I'm new to posting pics and such to the forum so I appreciate everyone's patience while I sort this out. I've saved it as a JPG file and zipped it again.

Here it is again...

theater.zip 45.71875k . file

Attachments

· Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scoho,

I like how "character" is synonymous with "flawed". ;-)

· Registered
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by outlier2
Good suggestion Schoho,

I'm new to posting pics and such to the forum so I appreciate everyone's patience while I sort this out. I've saved it as a JPG file and zipped it again.

Here it is again...:rolleyes:
Pleeeeeaaaaassse don't zip. It's annoying. Just attach the pic naturally it's small enough in jpg format.

· Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Neuner, I really must apologize for not having it in a decent format. I tried to reduce the size of the JPEG but I only have a lousy MS Paint program to work with. When I specified a 640X640 it cut off half of my picture rather than shrinking it. So I zipped it instead to get it under the size limit. My designer sent me the TIFF so I don't have access to the software that generated the design-- just the TIFF. I would welcome another solution if you have any suggestions.

· Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
actually, I tried to upload the JPEG but it was too large and the system rejected it. :-(

· Registered
453 Posts
With line art, GIF is a better format. JPG produces artifacting, which can obscure details like measurements, etc.

I saved your graphic off, cropped off the white space, and attached it.

I agree about that slanted wall, I don't think it will look good once you have it built. Since it appears to be a hallway/walkway, losing that little bit of square footage shouldn't cause a problem and you will gain some extra elbow room in your mechanical room.

What are the measurements of the theater room? It appears to be about 12'x16' While this size is fine for a bedroom, it may be tight if you intend to entertain a group in that room. However, since it also appears that you are planning on a raised platform and you have other space for regular visiting, having two rows of seating won't be an issue. Something to look at, if nothing else.

· Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bigscreen,

Thanks so much for the help with posting the plan!

The dimensions for the HT room are approximately 18' X 12 X 8' (ceiling)

· Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bigscreen,

The wall is angled for the following reasons:

a) I wanted to contain the HT in a separate room with the furnace/storage room serving as a place for my equipment rack.

b) I wanted the HT to be as wide as possible. To get it to the 12' point I had to put in an engineered steel I-beam to span the 17' across the space. I needed 32" for an opening from the hall to the living space beside the HT so add the 6" thick wall and voila, you have a narrower room.

c) now I had to have a wall for my storage/furnace room and the door had to be in the indicated location to avoid hitting a telepost on the swing.

d) I have to have at least that distance from my hot water heater and furnace to meet code.

Are you suggesting I square off the wall and have a zig zag hallway going from my stairs to the living area? Do you think this would look better than an angled approach? I still have time to change it if I act right away as they only started framing yesterday.

· Registered
453 Posts
outlier2 wrote:
Quote:
Are you suggesting I square off the wall and have a zig zag hallway going from my stairs to the living area? Do you think this would look better than an angled approach?
I think it might look better to be straight with the closet/mechanical room wall at the bottom of the drawing, and then head right at a 90 degree angle to meet with the door (that would still be on the same plane as the left wall of your theater).

The wall that will be formed by that right angle might be a nice place to put a piece of artwork or something else to break up the visual space as you walk from the main living area to that back area (is that where the stairs land?).

Another idea is to ask your framing guys what they think. They've probably done many of these types of jobs and have some valuable insight if you ask.

It's completely up to you, though, just something to consider. Let us know what you decide to do!

· Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Scott,

I see what you are thinking but you I think you have misread the plan. The door is only going to a closet under the stairs. There is a huge telepost that I have moved to a position just over 15' from the right hand wall. I need at least 30" to the right of that to allow a passage. If I extended the mechanical room wall straight out, I would have no entrance to the living area and HT.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.