Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

What is the best width to frame the opening for my equipment? I don't have a rack and likely will DIY something for the equipment stand, but I wanted to build it to a standard size. Also, is this going to ruin my acoustics? The equipment will be in a furnace/storage room behind the HT. I was thinking of putting smoked glass doors in front but will this be enough to keep sound in the room? How should I treat the area around the frame to reduce sound leakage?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Just make it big enough. Seriously. You can always fill in with scabs and insulation and trim around. Most racks INTERNAL dimensions are around 19" (EIA Std). Depending on sidewall thickness (5/8", 3/4") you are looking at around 20 1/2 - 21" framed opening. The big caveat for this would be if you have a turntable. Lots of them (SOTA, Linn, Clearaudio, VPI, etc.) are a lot wider.

When this is opening into another room, I am assuming that it will either be open or have a door on the back. If you have a door, make sure the depth is deeper than shelf depth for cables and good airflow up and out.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone!

I'm going with 20 1/2". I will have 5/8 over 1/2" drywall.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am using a Middle Atlantic AX-S-43 InWall Slide-Out equipment rack. My opening is exactly 19-3/8" wide. This allows just enough gap for the rack to easily slide in and out.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Aramb,

I'll probably stick to the larger opening and fill in a bit more as needed. In the spirit of bpape's comment, it is usually better to be a bit too large than a bit too small...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.