AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with Fraser? The HDTV looks worse the Fox's widescreen EDTV. In fact it looks just like they expanded SDTV, cropped it to 16:9 and broadcast as HDTV.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
It's shot on film, but I don't know why the conversion is so bad. It's always been one of the worst looking HD shows.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by simmike
What's up with Fraser? The HDTV looks worse the Fox's widescreen EDTV. In fact it looks just like they expanded SDTV, cropped it to 16:9 and broadcast as HDTV.
I was thinking the same thing last night when I was flipping back and forth from Frasier and OC. (Of course, maybe the better "scenery" on the OC had something to do with it).

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I had the same experience flipping channels last night. Going from Fraser (allegedly in HD) to OC (in Fox digital SD widescreen) and concluding that Fox SD looked clearly better. If you can't make it look better than SD, then let's not call it HD.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by XFactor
Was Frasier even in HD last night? It was a rerun, and often times networks do not show the reruns in HD.
If there's a way to know what resolution is being received on an SIR-T160, I haven't found it yet (though I just got it). But it was broadcast in widescreen. I agree that it didn't look good at all... if it was a re-run, maybe it was upconverted?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If I recall correctly from previous posts about Frasier, they are basically blowing up the 4:3 image to 16:9, this increasing grain and decreasing resolution, rather than shooting in 16:9 protected for 4:3.

(I think it's all a clever plot to hide Kelsey Grammer's baldness by cutting off the top of his head.)

Frasier wasn't announced for HD last season, it switched part way through. Perhaps the new season will be done better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.