AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Agreed... I was over at a friend's tonight watching the premiere on his RCA 38-incher and we both remarked that the picture quality looked vastly improved over last season. Too bad NBC couldn't seem to keep their act together for Law & Order: SVU. :mad:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I definitely agree. I think it was mentioned that last season was framed for 4x3 and cropped to 16x9 (you could see their heads cut off). The premiere looked framed for 16x9 and much clearer (although NBC shows tends to be soft).

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
There's no question it's now truly framed for 16:9. If you watch closely, there are semi-important things happening outside the center 4:3 area.

It's nothing that causes you to not get a joke if you watch 4:3, but there are things like other character reactions to watch.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
wouldn't it be cool to see all shows framed for 16:9, and then pan and scanned for SD?

of course, the post production probably doesn't have that much time

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Without a doubt it looked much better than last season, even though for both episodes the local NYC station forgot to flip the damn switch after the second commercial break. For both episodes! But when it was running in HD you could really tell the difference from last year's butcher jobs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The picture looked great but I had lip sync problems. During the commercials (SD) everything was fine. The show would flip back to HD and I would get a slight delay. Just enough to be distracting. I couldn't look at peoples faces. Probably a local problem with my station.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Checked in just to see if they had changed their approach and (after the first episode that was SD here) sure enough, no zoom/crop job this year. Vast improvement. I wouldn't go so far to say that it's actually "framed" for 16x9 though as they are clearly still shot to protect the 4x3 for the SD feeds.

ron

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
What? We switched to the NBC-HD channel for the first episode of Frasier and were disappointed to see it formatted in 4:3 with pillar bars. Although the picture was sharp, that's not what we want to see for HD. We switched back to the analog feed so that we could stretch the picture to fill the screen. Was this a Comcast cable problem? We didn't bother to check if the second episode was 16:9.

-Steve

·
Registered
734 Posts
The Season Premiere was not in HDTV in both San Diego and Los Angeles. I just had TWC install a HD box as I can't get the local NBC station OTA. For the last two years I've used a rotator on my antenna to get KNBC from LA. I started out watching the local station on HD cable but no HD. I switched to my OTA receiver and it was not in HD in LA either.

The second episode was in HD though. It sounds like there was a problem with the feed for the West Coast for the first episode.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R11
I wouldn't go so far to say that it's actually "framed" for 16x9 though as they are clearly still shot to protect the 4x3 for the SD feeds.
I would. There were reaction shots that got cut off on the 4:3 version. There were also some slight visual gags that were outside the 4:3 area.

Although they try to keep things in the 4:3, it definitely looks more cramped than any other show I've seen that is 16:9 with a 4:3 "important area".

Add to that the fact that the two episodes had some of the best jokes in years for the series, and it is a vast improvement from last year.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Both half-hours were in very sharp HD here in the Twin Cities.

BTW, be wary of deciding whether a show is going to be in HD just by watching the opening. Often a show starts off in SD and then switches to HD.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nabsltd
Add to that the fact that the two episodes had some of the best jokes in years for the series, and it is a vast improvement from last year.
Yes they did. I've been Tivoing "Frasier" for the last couple years (especially since the HD wasn't very good last year) because it really hadn't earned my interest. But those two season-opening episodes this week were downright hysterical. And with good HD to boot. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.