AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 209 Posts

·
Administrator
18,403 Posts
You're being scammed.

I have to ask. What about that seems legitimate to you? I'm honestly trying to figure out how anyone falls for these. That should set off 1000 alarms to anyone. I can't believe you even sent an email.

Reactions: kaiforce

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You're being scammed.

I have to ask. What about that seems legitimate to you? I'm honestly trying to figure out how anyone falls for these. That should set off 1000 alarms to anyone. I can't believe you even sent an email.

Nothing about it. I'm getting more gullible in my old age :( Thanks Mike!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Well that’s easy. Tell them to PP F&F their money to their friend who is picking it up and the friend can cash it out and hand you cash upon pickup.

Had a gentleman who wanted to buy my Goldenear supersub xxl but pay PayPal and have friend pick it up haha.....do these ppl actually think before they speak...to easy to spot scammers now “ jg903” is his username

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do I get it right that most if not all sellers here suggest to avoid receiving payment thru PayPal since any payment type thru paypal is still vulnerable to scam?

Glad I saw the recent discussion here before I sold my sub. :eek:

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Do I get it right that most if not all sellers here suggest to avoid receiving payment thru PayPal since any payment type thru paypal is still vulnerable to scam?

Everything I have sold online I have used PayPal as payment, whether it was here, eBay or Audiogon, and I have never had an issue. This has been for dozens of sales, though probably less than 100 sales total. I doubt that I am an exception.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I posted a WTB receiver thread a few days ago. A couple of hours ago, I got a PM (see below in bold) from albertfreddie (who has zero posts on AVS) responding to my WTB thread. I emailed peter below, and he is ready to sell the receiver to me if I send my paypal payment (for goods & services) to: [email protected]

Can someone send a PM with zero posts on AVS? Has anyone heard of AlbertFreddie or Peter Jackson? Do you think this is a scam? I see Albert also visiting other AVS member's pages with WTB posts and PM'd them too.

albertfreddie31
Try contact peter am certain he as an offer to make [email protected]

Sent from my TECNO LB8a using Tapatalk

Peter Jackson directed Lord of the Rings, among other movies. I doubt he is selling used items on AVS.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

There is no risk to the seller in using Paypal. The buyer is at high risk if Friends and Family (eliminates Paypal fee) is used. Never use Friends and Family unless you know the person on the other end.

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
There is no risk to the seller in using Paypal. The buyer is at high risk if Friends and Family (eliminates Paypal fee) is used. Never use Friends and Family unless you know the person on the other end.
This post on the previous page says F&F is even a risk to the seller. I don't understand how a chargeback for a F&F would be approved.

Paypal may not refund FF transactions but if you use your credit card and do a chargeback Paypal can AND will take the money from your account. I know this from firsthand experience with a loser here who got my Clark Synthesis Gold Transducers, then claimed they were "blown". Then instead of shipping them back to me simply did a chargeback on his credit card and paypal took the money from my account. So he now has my Clark Synthesis transducers AND his money back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This post on the previous page says F&F is even a risk to the seller. I don't understand how a chargeback for a F&F would be approved.
So if PayPal is a challenge what alternative method is recommended? Can’t imagine a Venmo or other electronic type transfer would be any different? Someone said it earlier but from my experience on eBay, etc the CCard has all the power when it comes down to it. Thankfully I haven’t issues where I needed to utilize chargeback process.

What can I do as a possible buyer to squash concerns for a potential seller?

When you dont know the person, the Friends/Family option to me is just shady from the get go.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
So if PayPal is a challenge what alternative method is recommended? Can’t imagine a Venmo or other electronic type transfer would be any different? Someone said it earlier but from my experience on eBay, etc the CCard has all the power when it comes down to it. Thankfully I haven’t issues where I needed to utilize chargeback process.

What can I do as a possible buyer to squash concerns for a potential seller?

When you dont know the person, the Friends/Family option to me is just shady from the get go.
I don't think there's any other option that's safer than Paypal with buyer protection ( goods & services ). The main danger for the buyer is when a supposed seller pops up ( in this case responding to WTB ads ) with no references and post count insisting on a Friends & Family option in Paypal or some kind of wire transfer / money gram . Providing references for past sales either here / ebay or some other forum is the only way to make the potential buyer comfortable with the sale.

·
Super Moderator
15,926 Posts
Please keep this thread specific to new fraud attempts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I Got Scammed

I just wanted to put this out there to inform members of my experience to possibly prevent this from happening to someone else. Administrator if I put this in the wrong place or it is not allowed please forgive me.

I was hot to trot for a Blu-ray of Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition so I started a WTB thread in the classified section two days ago. I received two PM'S, one from a member advising me not to buy the one in the classified section for $150.00 and the other from a member telling me he had one reasonably priced. He sent me a PM with his phone number and told me to text him. As I did not have enough posts to send PM's I texted him. We texted back and forth and agreed on a price. He even sent me a pic of the case on his coffee table. Now I don't have Paypal so I opted to use Cash App for the first time without doing any research and low and behold he texted me last night and said he needed more money for shipping. At that point I knew my desire to get the Blu-Ray got me screwed. It's only $50.00 plus $10.00 shipping so its not the end of the world but I really wanted the disc. Considering that he sent me a PM I wanted to believe he was a forum member and ok. Live and learn. I don't want anyone else to get taken, I know I have no one else to blame but me. Unfortunately I wanted to delete the PM from the person advising me not to buy the $150.00 one, but in my haste I deleted the PM from the scammer so I don't have his forum name.

Here is the info I do have so buyers beware;

He claimed his name is Scott yet his Cash App account sends the money to Delesta Hovey and his cash App number is $brianluv7 and his phone number is 1 914 860 9366. So if your buying something and see any of that info beware.

Once again no one to blame but myself.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just wanted to put this out there to inform members of my experience to possibly prevent this from happening to someone else. Administrator if I put this in the wrong place or it is not allowed please forgive me.

I was hot to trot for a Blu-ray of Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition so I started a WTB thread in the classified section two days ago. I received two PM'S, one from a member advising me not to buy the one in the classified section for $150.00 and the other from a member telling me he had one reasonably priced. He sent me a PM with his phone number and told me to text him. As I did not have enough posts to send PM's I texted him. We texted back and forth and agreed on a price. He even sent me a pic of the case on his coffee table. Now I don't have Paypal so I opted to use Cash App for the first time without doing any research and low and behold he texted me last night and said he needed more money for shipping. At that point I knew my desire to get the Blu-Ray got me screwed. It's only $50.00 plus $10.00 shipping so its not the end of the world but I really wanted the disc. Considering that he sent me a PM I wanted to believe he was a forum member and ok. Live and learn. I don't want anyone else to get taken, I know I have no one else to blame but me. Unfortunately I wanted to delete the PM from the person advising me not to buy the $150.00 one, but in my haste I deleted the PM from the scammer so I don't have his forum name.

He claimed his name is Scott yet his Cash App account sends the money to Delesta Hovey and his cash App number is $brianluv7 and his phone number is 1 914 860 9366. So if your buying something and see any of that info beware.

While I do feel for you here, it's never pleasant to get ripped off, could you please tell me what's so special about this particular edition, that you were ready to spend so much money on it instead of simply buying a regular Blu-Ray disk (currently $5.99 on Amazon)?

·
Super Moderator
15,926 Posts

New classifieds bumping rule - Only 10 days for free members!
Now free members can bump their ads with a new reply only 10 days from the last post made.

And as always...

Don't get taken. Protect yourself and your fellow members.

There have been a number of obvious scam attempts in our classifieds.

Do NOT ask members to pay you through PayPal "friends and family" or another unprotected method.

Do NOT pay for an item though an unprotected method.

Report to staff any private message sales attempts by new, unestablished forum accounts.

Use common sense and protect yourself. AVS Forum, as always, will not become involved in any disputes between sellers and buyers.
Please report all pms by new members soliciting sales.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I received two PM'S, one from a member advising me not to buy the one in the classified section for $150.00... Unfortunately I wanted to delete the PM from the person advising me not to buy the $150.00 one
That was me who personally messaged you and told you not to buy that expensive one.

I was waiting for you to message me back, but now I know why you didn't.

Not sure why you wanted to delete my message since I was just looking out for you. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
That was me who personally messaged you and told you not to buy that expensive one.

I was waiting for you to message me back, but now I know why you didn't.

Not sure why you wanted to delete my message since I was just looking out for you. :(
Nothing personal and I appreciated your advice and I listened to what you said and I wouldn't pay that, as far as deleting your pm thats just how I am, I read it, I made a decision to listen to what you said and in my eyes there was no need to keep it and read it again as I decided to do what you suggested so I deleted it Thank you for you well intended and much appreciated advise.

If I could say one more thing I’m an old school and old guy and some of these new ways of moving cash I have never done before. So to those of you reading this if someone suggests to you to use “Cash App” run like hell. There is a phone number where you Can actually talk to a human but its very difficult to find and they will be no help, they know whats going on and what the app is used for in regards to criminals but thats how they choose to make a living.

And one more thing when I got the pm from the person looking to sell the disc he had plenty of posts and that is partially why I thought he was a legit member.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a message from someone saying to contact:

Send Dana an email dnananeal
For a supercenter reference, but they used an image from ebay or audiogon and had so many things wrong when I asked them-- they used XXL and reference interchangeably. That was also a big clue-- definitely not a AV enthusiast!

Totally fake!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
While I do feel for you here, it's never pleasant to get ripped off, could you please tell me what's so special about this particular edition, that you were ready to spend so much money on it instead of simply buying a regular Blu-Ray disk (currently $5.99 on Amazon)?
The Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition is the only edition with a Dolby Atmos sound track.

Years ago, I bought it just for the Atmos sound track.

181 - 200 of 209 Posts