AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,959 Posts
It’s in the announcements, those should be added to the actual rules in the sticky.

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Had a gentleman who wanted to buy my Goldenear supersub xxl but pay PayPal and have friend pick it up haha.....do these ppl actually think before they speak...to easy to spot scammers now “ jg903” is his username
I’ve actually done this a few times myself. Most recently I bought a set of Tekton Pendragons and had my brother pick them up.

Not legit when he wants to use PayPal friends and family....so basically he gets and item and then can scam back his money by saying he never received anything.....
As a seller isn’t getting paid via a F&F payment better?? Aside from there not being a fee, doesn’t the buyer loose any and all protection from PayPal??

·
Registered
772 Posts
Had a gentleman who wanted to buy my Goldenear supersub xxl but pay PayPal and have friend pick it up haha.....do these ppl actually think before they speak...to easy to spot scammers now “ jg903” is his username
Not legit when he wants to use PayPal friends and family....so basically he gets and item and then can scam back his money by saying he never received anything.....
Paypal doesn't refund FF transactions. if your the seller, I don't see the problem. As far as the friend picking up, you can always document it somehow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My apologies for even trying to protect myself against the fraudulent method called PayPal.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Also years doesn’t mean anything on a forum....you could be a scammer and be a forum member for any amount of time.....years jusr gives a bit more trust in a person that’s it....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lol ok but I will never use PayPal friends and family

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
It’s in the announcements, those should be added to the actual rules in the sticky.
Yes, I couldn't find it in the sticky hence I suggested putting it in the sticky. Putting the warning in the sticky abt Paypal Friends and Family shouldn't cause any harm. It'll only decrease the likely hood of members getting scammed.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Paypal friends and family doesn't offer buyer protection. The seller should be fine. The buyer cannot raise a dispute with Paypal if payment is made through Friends and Family. I would be really suspicious as a buyer if the seller whom you doesn't know insists on Friends and Family Paypal payment

·
Registered
916 Posts
Paypal doesn't refund FF transactions. if your the seller, I don't see the problem. As far as the friend picking up, you can always document it somehow.
Paypal may not refund FF transactions but if you use your credit card and do a chargeback Paypal can AND will take the money from your account. I know this from firsthand experience with a loser here who got my Clark Synthesis Gold Transducers, then claimed they were "blown". Then instead of shipping them back to me simply did a chargeback on his credit card and paypal took the money from my account. So he now has my Clark Synthesis transducers AND his money back.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Paypal friends and family doesn't offer buyer protection. The seller should be fine. The buyer cannot raise a dispute with Paypal if payment is made through Friends and Family. I would be really suspicious as a buyer if the seller whom you doesn't know insists on Friends and Family Paypal payment
Correct. "Paypal" does not, your credit card, however, does...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I’m pretty sure you can’t use friends and family unless you use your paypal balance (or bank account).
You can actually use your credit card too. There is a fee though.

Reactions: madhuski

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
You guys can debate PayPal via PM all you want. Please keep this thread specific to actual NEW fraud attempts.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a person who has lurked for years, and only recently started posting and taking an interest in this particular forum, I appreciate the discussion. Never having bought anything online from an individual, I'm not clear on what would constitute a "protected" payment method. Perhaps updating the "sticky" with some suggestions of the more conventional "protected" methods...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I posted a WTB receiver thread a few days ago. A couple of hours ago, I got a PM (see below in bold) from albertfreddie (who has zero posts on AVS) responding to my WTB thread. I emailed peter below, and he is ready to sell the receiver to me if I send my paypal payment (for goods & services) to: [email protected]

Can someone send a PM with zero posts on AVS? Has anyone heard of AlbertFreddie or Peter Jackson? Do you think this is a scam? I see Albert also visiting other AVS member's pages with WTB posts and PM'd them too.

albertfreddie31
Try contact peter am certain he as an offer to make [email protected]

Sent from my TECNO LB8a using Tapatalk

161 - 180 of 209 Posts