AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a complete projector novice, and I don't know anything about black levels, contrast ratios, etc. I did read up a lot on placement flexibility, since I have to ceiling mount from a 12 foot ceiling about 15 feet from the screen. I wanted to keep the cost below $1500 for my first projector, so the placement issue pretty much dictated LCD. I ordered the Viewsonic Pro8100 and cracked the box yesterday.

My ceiling mount isn't here yet, so I "ledge mounted" it about 11 feet from the screen. BTW, right now I don't have a proper screen. I painted the front wall in Behr Silver Screen. The rest of the walls, and ceiling, are painted midnight blue. The room is a bat cave. Anyway, I plugged in the projector, adjusted the screen size, focus, and position, and popped my "3000 Miles to Graceland" DVD (not Blu-Ray) into the PS3. It was incredible how good it looked. The 110" diagonal image, combined with a decent sound system, made the heist scene come alive in a way I haven't experienced before. I really love that movie, especially the heist scene. Later, my wife and I watched "The Soloist" DVD, and it was equally engaging, though not nearly as exciting as Graceland.

For those of you on the fence about whether to get a projector, just do it (or wait until prices drop after new models are announced, and then do it). The main thing is to do as much research as you can here and at the other websites mentioned here, and then pick a model that's appropriate for your situation and budget. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Glad to hear you're enjoying the world of projectors. Now if only they had a cure for the upgrade bug............

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchcolo /forum/post/17015200

I'm a complete projector novice, and I don't know anything about black levels, contrast ratios, etc. I did read up a lot on placement flexibility, since I have to ceiling mount from a 12 foot ceiling about 15 feet from the screen. I wanted to keep the cost below $1500 for my first projector, so the placement issue pretty much dictated LCD. I ordered the Viewsonic Pro8100 and cracked the box yesterday.

My ceiling mount isn't here yet, so I "ledge mounted" it about 11 feet from the screen. BTW, right now I don't have a proper screen. I painted the front wall in Behr Silver Screen. The rest of the walls, and ceiling, are painted midnight blue. The room is a bat cave. Anyway, I plugged in the projector, adjusted the screen size, focus, and position, and popped my "3000 Miles to Graceland" DVD (not Blu-Ray) into the PS3. It was incredible how good it looked. The 110" diagonal image, combined with a decent sound system, made the heist scene come alive in a way I haven't experienced before. I really love that movie, especially the heist scene. Later, my wife and I watched "The Soloist" DVD, and it was equally engaging, though not nearly as exciting as Graceland.

For those of you on the fence about whether to get a projector, just do it (or wait until prices drop after new models are announced, and then do it). The main thing is to do as much research as you can here and at the other websites mentioned here, and then pick a model that's appropriate for your situation and budget. You'll be glad you did.

8100pro is a very good projector. However, according to my experience, pretty much when everyone got their first projector will say "wowww"

·
Registered
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserFlying /forum/post/17017089

8100pro is a very good projector. However, according to my experience, pretty much when everyone got their first projector will say "wowww"

Yeah the fact that he's wowed by SD DVD, that's a first timer alright. But it's damn good projector to start on that's for sure.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Yes it's the size of the image that kills. I was use to a 65" CRT RTPV as a big screen TV then went to my first projector a XGA NEC LT150z and I was amazed just like you. If the image is huge, has color and sharpness you can't help but to feel video nirvana. Welcome to the screen sizes we judge by feet not inches. enjoy

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvy111 /forum/post/17017675

Yeah the fact that he's wowed by SD DVD, that's a first timer alright. But it's damn good projector to start on that's for sure.

LOL...
Wait till you see HD and your wow will go to total shock..I think he is blown away more by the size of the picure and not the picture quality. I remember the same reaction when I got my first projector. Once you go HD those DVD are gonna look like crap...no offense...I have huge dvd collection and oppo 983 and they still cant come close to HD...

·
Registered
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvy111 /forum/post/17017675

I am not so sure that is uncommon. The upscaling on my HD 70 seemed so good when I first got it that I did not bother getting any HD source for quite a while. Perhaps it was the price of BD players at the time or the initial wow factor more than the upscaling, but I was happy for quite some time.

In fact I still have not bought a BD player and my only true HD is from a tuner. I occasionally get the urge to add a BD player, but just refuse to take the plunge until they offer a bit more. I refuse to add another box to my already over complicated system, so until there is a BD player with an ATSC tuner and perhaps a hard drive and a few other things built in I am waiting.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I got my first projector in 1995, a Runco CRT (one of the cheapest at the time). Since then I have pretty much watched all tv (and of course movies) on a 100 in. screen. For me the big screen is addictive. It is just so engaging. When I first got it I was enjoying everything, including TV commercials, for the excitement and imagery. Then eventually it became normal, and I can't get too excited about small screens. For me a 42 in. TV is a small screen. I do struggle with ambient light when doing daylight viewing--I have to have a bright projector with a good bulb, and a high-power screen helps.

It's great to hear comments from a new convert. It used to be a tremendous investment (my cheapo projector was $5000 in 1995 $). The quality you get now, for a low price, is amazing. I recently upgraded to the Optoma HD20, my third projector.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
i got my first "big screen in 1996. it was a 52" pioneer rp. it was great !

jan 2009. i got my mitsu 65" dlp rp tv. it blew me away

Sd DVD is for non action movies. action movies, SiFi, etc. BD is AWESOME

now. my dlp is barely big enough in 1:85 mode. letterbox, forget it, no way.

i always zoom to fill the screen.

i am here researching a projector.

·
Registered
928 Posts
One thing you can do right off, is get a calibration disc, they have them in the menu of most recent THX movies(just rent one), or do a search for "Get Gray' a disc made by poster here and down loadable for ($20-$25) and burnable to DVD even for a novice. Maybe you have but if not its so simple you need to do it ASAP and get you brightness and contrast set correctly. Find out through post what your sharpness setting on your pj would be "Zero Enhancement" and set to that and leave it alone. Of course you can calibrated to D65 for the best picture your pj is capable of, but for now if you haven't, get a calibration disc and get your brightness and contrast set correctly. Front projection has a long life ahead of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
PLEASE HELP

We are in the process of turning out university daughters old room into a home theater.First does that make us bad parents lol? The room is 18x13. We were thinking of a 120" screen. That is all we have confirmed yet. There's so many reviews and options for screen brands and projectors and we feel a bit overwhelmed. Here is wht we think we need. a HD scareen, and a 1080 P projector. Is this right? My husband is an avid call of duty player and so we need a projector that is good for gaming, we have a blue ray player, satellite, wii, and xbox. plus the surround sound. the room is completely darkened so light is not a problem. Any advise would be gretly appreciated. oh and we want to use hdmi cables. Oh and if you haven't guessed I know NOTHING about this stuff.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debell /forum/post/17027842

PLEASE HELP

We are in the process of turning out university daughters old room into a home theater.First does that make us bad parents lol? The room is 18x13. We were thinking of a 120" screen. That is all we have confirmed yet. There's so many reviews and options for screen brands and projectors and we feel a bit overwhelmed. Here is wht we think we need. a HD scareen, and a 1080 P projector. Is this right? My husband is an avid call of duty player and so we need a projector that is good for gaming, we have a blue ray player, satellite, wii, and xbox. plus the surround sound. the room is completely darkened so light is not a problem. Any advise would be gretly appreciated. oh and we want to use hdmi cables. Oh and if you haven't guessed I know NOTHING about this stuff.

The panasonic ax200 would be perfect.Under 1K to,I would do a 110 screen if your walls or 13ft.You need room for speakers on side.Their are 2 sites for fp review'PROJECTOR CENTRAL AND PROJECTOR REVIEWS.Carada makes the best screens for the money.

·
Registered
912 Posts
debell, you are the perfect AVSer wife! I still have WAF issues, but lately have just been reduced to comments along the lines of "...we could have paid this bill off, but instead we bought the new projector..."

Give some more specifics, and you'll get some more answers. For example, budget, viewing room lighting (will be used with some ambient lighting during day, will be a batcave...), etc.

Happy hunting, it's (dare I say it)...'freakin awesome"!

[EDITED] Oops, just read your post again. Research LCD and DLP pros/cons, then decide which way you want to go with the recommendations hereabouts. For the screen, again depends on your budget. Budget-wise, the Dalite HP screen is great for gain and "pop", otherwise the Dalite HCMW is good to boost perceived contrast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The screen we were looking at was a Maxstar the stats are as followsFeatures Screen Material Type

16:9 Aspect Ratio, HDTV Format, Aluminum Frame Professional High-Grade Cinema Fabric

Aspect Ratio Frame Type

16:9 Deluxe aluminum cove with Black Velvet

Dimensions (WxDxH) / Weight Over All Size

110" x 1.5" x 65 " / 45 lbs H 65 " x W 110" Diagonal 125"

Product Description Image Diagonal Size

MaxStar EliteTM - Fixed frame projection screen - 120 in 120 inch

Projection Image Size (Height Width) Static resistant

62" X 107 " Yes

Mildew resistant Fireproofing any good?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Howdy debell.....a couple of things to be aware of. The 2 main types of projectors are LCD and DLP. Many people LOVE DLP but a certain percentage can't stand them because of something called The Rainbow Effect. This is caused by the spinning color wheel in the projector. It can cause headaches and eye fatigue if you're succeptable. I think it would be safe to say at least 25% are affected by the rainbow effect.

LCD....the main problem with most LCD projectors is that the lcd panels or polarizers can be [and usually will be] damaged by heat and cause blue cloudy areas to develop in the image. Some of the newer 1080P LCD's have a new type LCD panel called inorganic which is supposed to greatly lessen or eliminate this problem [time will tell].

That said, the Viewsonic Pro8100, which is the projector this thread was started about, is an LCD with the newer panels. It is being cleared out at a very good price and you can get an additional discount bu using Bing Cashback. You can search "pro8100 bing" ,without the quote marks, on AVS for more info on this.

·
Banned
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debell /forum/post/17027842

PLEASE HELP

only thing i will say is BUY A FIXED FRAME SCREEN!!! (or make your own...much cheaper) to avoid the dreaded WAVES that WILL develop in almost any screen (non fixed frame)

as for projectors, consider the Benq W5000 as it is an amazing projector for the money.

·
Banned
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debell /forum/post/17031442

The screen we were looking at was a Maxstar the stats are as followsFeatures Screen Material Type

16:9 Aspect Ratio, HDTV Format, Aluminum Frame Professional High-Grade Cinema Fabric

Aspect Ratio Frame Type

16:9 Deluxe aluminum cove with Black Velvet

Dimensions (WxDxH) / Weight Over All Size

110" x 1.5" x 65 " / 45 lbs H 65 " x W 110" Diagonal 125"

Product Description Image Diagonal Size

MaxStar EliteTM - Fixed frame projection screen - 120 in 120 inch

Projection Image Size (Height Width) Static resistant

62" X 107 " Yes

Mildew resistant Fireproofing any good?

you can EASILY fit a 120" screen on a 13ft wall with tons of room left for speakers. I have a 120" in a 12ft area, with 2 Onix Rocket towers on either side. no issues there at all. i wouldn't go smaller than 120" if you are sitting 15-18ft away from the screen. just my .02

here's a couple images of my set up so you can see what to expect at 120". the space between the walls is 12 feet. and just in case you ask, that is a 120" screen that i built myself. easy to do, and about $130.00 in material and 1 day to make it using actual screen material, 2x4's and black velveteen

1 - 20 of 39 Posts