· Registered
15,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knock, knock!

"Come in, Jimmy!"

"Gosh, thanks, Mr. Wizard. What are we going to talk about today?"

"Well, Jimmy, I thought we'd take a look at coaxial speaker cables."

"WOW, that sure sounds impressive Mr. Wizard! What's it all about?"

"Well, Jimmy, a lot of folks have been talking about using coaxial cable for connecting speakers, and especially about matching the impedance of the cable to the speaker."

"Golly, I thought speakers had an impedance that varied with frequency, Mr. Wizard, sometimes quite a lot. How are you going to match anything to that?"

"Simple, Jimmy! Just pick a frequency. Now take that impedance and match the cable to that! If that frequency gives a number you don't like, just choose another!"

"But, Mr. Wizard, what about all those other frequencies?"

"Well, Jimmy, some day you'll understand as much as those very smart folks at Monster. They bundle wires together that carry each group of frequencies separately! See, just look here in their ads..."

"Gosh that's keen! But how do the frequencies know which wire to take? Aren't they all connected in parallel anyway?"

"Er, well... we're getting of the subject, Jimmy. Now, back way long time ago, like back in the late '70s, there were coaxial speaker cables."

"NOOO, really? That's awesome! Did they have *stereos* that long ago, or was it all hand-cranked 78s?"

"Gracious no, Jimmy. They had the very best sound you could possibly get- vinyl LPs! And they were stereo, too. On *both* sides, not like those grainy, etched CDs you kids have now. Yessir, way back then folks like Mogami made these coaxial speaker cables with an impedance of about 9 ohms. And there were also other low-mpedance designs, too, from folks like Polk, Discwasher and Audiosource."

"Wowee-zowee, Mr. Wizard! I thought all these fancy cable things were all new designs! So where did all these cables go?"

"Well, Jimmy, they tended to fry a lot of amplifiers back then. Those poor amps just couldn't handle the extra capacitance of these cables. So the companies bailed out quickly at their lawyer's advice."

"Gee, Mr. Wizard, where did you learn about this stuff?"

"Partly from being a fossil, but also from reading, Jimmy. They do still teach reading, don't they? Try looking in Boston Audio Society Speaker around December '78, March '79, April '80. Or some of the articles by RA Greiner in JAES, May '80 or Audio August '89. Geez, even Nelson Pass had a good article in Speaker Builder in February '80. So, anyway, Jimmy, these coaxial cables are really technical sounding, and 'impedance matching' sure sounds like a good thing to do! You wouldn't want to 'mismatch' anything, would you, like socks and neckties?"

"Uh, well... you know, I learned in school that impedance matching in audio systems doesn't make any sense, either for interconnects or speakers. 'Cause, gosh, the cables are sooooo short compared to the

wavelengths involved. And the general operating principle is a low impedance voltage source driving a high impedance load. This works quite well, especially when the impedances _can't_ be matched, like with speakers. Anyway, this simple two-wire cable I'm using works just fine, and costs way less, too! Gotta go! I've got some spare cash left over from not buying that coax cable, so I'm taking Sally to Aruba for

the Summer! See ya next Fall, Mr. Wizard!"

· Registered
7,822 Posts
Now why can't we get Mr. Wizard on DVD ??? :(

Inquiring minds want to know!

· Registered
1,896 Posts
Born July 10, 1917, Mr. Wizard is apparently still alive at the ripe age of 87. The Mr. Wizard show premiered in 1951 and was a weekly show.

..Doyle

· Registered
3,536 Posts
Is Chu Gai an anagram for:

Hug a ic (interconnect) ???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.