AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't find this in a search, my apologies if it's already been posted.

The US Department of Labor has produced a new DVD about the events of 9/11 and the restoration projects since. It is being offered for free from thier website to US citizens only I believe.

I'm gonna have to post the address kinda weird because this site will only allow people that have 5 or more posts put URLs in.

www.dol.gov/opa/dvd/

·
Registered
409 Posts
Might sound insensitive but is it widescreen anamorphic?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Hayrab
Might sound insensitive but is it widescreen anamorphic?
No specs listed, I doubt it is though. I'll let you know when I get it in.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey! Now you can post the link! Congratulations!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jhstn58
Hey! Now you can post the link! Congratulations!
Don't worry, I won't let it go to my head.

The Link

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yeah, thanks.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Why do they need my email address? This is starting to shape up like a 'gather data' routine. And what if I don't have an email address? Am i to believe that if I don't have an email address I am somehow too worthless for a copy? What if grandma wants it and she's no computer?

I chose to not give them the means to email me.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Thanks for the info incubus0, I just ordered a copy.

WanMan,

Why not let them have your email addy? If they want to reach you they can always use snailmail and then it's official. If you're like the rest of us you have several email addys anyway. Besides, they didn't say it had to active & valid.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
And what about those poor unfortunate souls that don't have an email addy, like Grandma and Grampa Walton? I'm not too concerned (I am concerned, but not overly concerned) as I'd simply report them to the FTC for Spamming.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I just signed up for it also, and I am thinking we all just got taken.

I found out recently that people in other countries can simulate the web address of any company, as a recent Yahoo scam had people type their email address and password into www.yahoo.com/security (or something like that), which turned out to be a way for someone to steal identities.

Of course, we just typed in name and address with a junk email address, so is that enough to steal our identities? I dunno.

The whole credit card industry thing scares me now, someone steals my identity, gets credit cards, then I have to end up paying for it? Naw, Homie don't play that! I get nervous now anytime I type personal information into a website.

I can't find a link to the DVD offer from the DOL main site, which raises my suspicions. How could they give away millions of DVDs anyway? Is that where all the donated money will go? I think we got taken, folks....

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
It's legit. I went to the news and press release page :

http://www.dol.gov/cgi-bin/consolid.pl?media+press

...and found this. Go down 9 and you will see this:

OPA Press Release: Secretary of Labor Elaine L. Chao Hosts 9/11 Film Premiere: “Up From Zero†Honors Ground Zero Workers [09/09/2003]

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I never said the DVD wasn't legit and never implied that it was anything but what is contained on the DVD. I simply found no reasion to 'require' people to own (and submit) an email address. They did not have to make that requirement, but they did. Why? (not asking you folks, but the Secretary of Labor)

The DVD production is completely independent (I hope) of the data collection mechanism attached to it. I stated my belief, ask why the requirement was placed, and stated my expectations. I then submitted the form, without an email address.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Its not about privacy, but Spam. The last two vendors I bought from each offered their required Opt-Out checkbox. Unfortunately, this never seems to work. Even when I go in and make sure the Don't Spam Me option for my online account is enabled, I still get Spammed. Thus, I no longer buy from them. It gets old pretty quick and the FTC Opt-Out program protects those you've done business with in the past so its of little use to me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ordered mine, I just used my email address I use for spam. Every so often I log in and delete everything.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For those concerned about a scam.

I did check it out a bit before posting anything.

The address they use, www.dol.gov, is the same one that they link to from other government sites.

An article I found referencing it here:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/apnews/st...127086,00.html

The fact that they are only asking for some very generic info that anyone could get from multiple sources. If they actually went through the trouble of setting up a very elaborate fake website you'd think they'd ask for a social security number or something a bit harder to find then name, address and email.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.