AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PS3 combines state-of-the-art technologies featuring the Cell processor, a RSX graphics processor, and XDR memory. It also adopts BD-ROM (Blu-ray Disc ROM) with maximum storage capacity of 54 GB, enabling delivery of entertainment content in full high-definition (HD) quality. The new PS3 will also be backwards compatible with PlayStation® and PlayStation® 2 software titles.

So does this mean if you stick a blu ray dvd in the ps3 it will show it in 1080i, true 1080i?

IF this ps3 works as a bluray dvd player.... omg.... it will sell 1 million more consoles

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey
not exactly free, the ps3 is expected to sell for $500 or higher at launch
$500 is probably the glass ceiling they know they can't cross. If you read the 100th issue of WSR, and check out pages 114-115, they had some Merril Lynch analysts crunch the numbers.

With the loaded hardware the PS3 has (1080p, dual HDMi, Cell, etc.) even at $500, the Merril Lynch guys estimated that Sony would STILL lose about a $100 a pop on the sale of each PS3.

However...they'll more than make that money up on software sales, accessories, and all the other goodies.

$500 for a first generation Blu-Ray player that has dual HDMI and 1080p capability is a steal, from the HT Market's point of view.

You need go no further than this very board to encounter plenty of people who couldn't care LESS about videogames, but they already have a spot in their racks cleared for a PS3.

Some gamers might balk in the short run, but it's funny how some of these gamers find a way to make it happen anyways. That's what trade ins and credit cards are for. ;)

There's no point in keeping your PS2's if you're going to buy a PS3, so that's a money boost right off the bat, on trade ins. And so on...

It's a fact: BR being on the PS3 will give BR a HUGE boost and inroads into people's homes. I'm rooting for BR all the way because I believe it to be the superior format across the boards and I have more confidence in the companies backing BR over the HD-DVD consortium.

For the sake of a $100 or so on MSRP, or having a choice, hindsight being 20-20...MS may look back on NOT including HD-DVD capability on the Xbox360, or at least offering an HD-DVD version at launch...as the first nail in the coffin for HD-DVD.

I might have considered a high end X360 at launch for $500 or so if it was also an HD-DVD player on top of everything else. For a while, it looked like that might happen. I'm disappointed it's not, because $500 for a first generation HD-DVD player, with everything else that the $400 package, loaded Xbox360 has...it's a good deal for what it is. I probably would have done it.

Here ya go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widscreen Review, 100th issue, pages 114-115
...The Xbox360 should sell for about $100 or so less than the PS3

...but future models MAY go up in price if MS decides to add an HD-DVD drive. MShas also announced another sequel to the hugely popular Halo franchsise on the same day that the PS3 hits stores, to further hurt its initial sales.
and from the same article:

Quote:

...The PS3 will debut some time in the Spring of 2006, and is expected to sell at close to $500.

Recently, Merril Lynch analysts ran the numbers and determined that Sony will lose $100 per console based on the impressive array of hardware included in the device, which means Sony could amass upwards of $2 billion in losses in the first year alone.
That's a $100 per console LOSS, even at $500! First generation Blu-Ray, dual HDMI outputs, full 1080p capability, Cell technology...these things ain't cheap!

Quote:
These losses are acceptable to Sony, as they know the sales from accessories and software will more than make up for them.
Of course. :)

·
23,003 Posts
In keeping with my "name" :) - What does BR players or PS3's have to do with "DVD Players (Standard Def)"? In other words, wrong forum.

larry

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterInsurgent
well hell, i could not find the video game console forum :(

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=94 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
In keeping with my "name" :) - What does BR players or PS3's have to do with "DVD Players (Standard Def)"? In other words, wrong forum.

larry

Spoil sport. :p

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper

larry

Yes, this needs to be in the DVD Players (High Def) section. Shame on you OP ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I can virtually guarantee that the PS3 will debut with a price tag no lower than $399.00 which is the price that the XBOX360 premium package was announced to launch at. Having a Bluy Ray drive and dual hdmi outputs alone makes the PS3 more expensive to produce. And although both Microsoft and Sony expect to lose money on the hardware and then make it up in software, neither wants to lose more money than the other guy because in the long run that means losing the war.

Because of the unusual cell architecture, the Blue Ray drive, dual hdmi outputs and other expensive features you can expect that the PS3 will debut at $399.00 or more.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avshaman
I can virtually guarantee that the PS3 will debut with a price tag no lower than $399.00 which is the price that the XBOX360 premium package was announced to launch at. Having a Bluy Ray drive and dual hdmi outputs alone makes the PS3 more expensive to produce. And although both Microsoft and Sony expect to lose money on the hardware and then make it up in software, neither wants to lose more money than the other guy because in the long run that means losing the war.

Because of the unusual cell architecture, the Blue Ray drive, dual hdmi outputs and other expensive features you can expect that the PS3 will debut at $399.00 or more.
Agreed 100 percent.

As for the author of this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...earchid=667251

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=574019

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=573958

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=574170

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=573774

With a track record like this, I'm going to ask you on behalf of the entire forum: Please stop making threads for a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.