AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 3254 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just got a spyder 2 express, and I am new to this whole calibration thing.

I was wondering if I should calibrate with the spyder filter on or off? Also I have a Panasonic 50phd8uk plasma screen, which configuration profile should I use (it look like most of them are for projectors)?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I beleive you keep the filter on.

·
Registered
515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattvds /forum/post/0

I just got a spyder 2 express, and I am new to this whole calibration thing.

I was wondering if I should calibrate with the spyder filter on or off? Also I have a Panasonic 50phd8uk plasma screen, which configuration profile should I use (it look like most of them are for projectors)?

I think in Rader's spreadsheet thread it was said to always use the spider with the filter in place.

There are several places to get info before attempting to use sophisticated calibration software like HCFR.

The getgray read-me is a good starting place:
http://www.calibrate.tv/docs/GetGrayCalDiscReadme.zip

Rader's spreadsheet thread has a great deal of info on calibrating with a Spyder calorimeter:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post6295533

The documentation for the pro-level accucal software is available for download at their site:
http://www.accucal.org/i1PRODCS%20Docs.htm

The FAQ thread talks mainly about using disks like Avia for calibrating TV's with CRT technology but it still has some useful information:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=585527

·
Registered
515 Posts
Many thanks to the HCFR team. The software worked great for me to calibrate my Sony LCD RPTV (KDF-E50A10) using a spider2express with the getgray DVD as the source. Just a fantastic piece of software.

·
Registered
681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic /forum/post/0

When I calibrate my CRT RP HDTV, do I remove the filter attachment on the Spyder2?

Anyone? I know other programs specify to leave filter on but who knows if HCFR uses a different profile or different conversion values.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
quick question for those with spyder2: does the included software have the /support switch? I'd like to use it to imput data into radar's spreadsheet for comparison.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I broke my probe
You were right Laric, 1 sensor was not responding to RGB only luminance, I could tell by running the real time meter, very nice addition by the way.....but I then went and retouched the solder to make sure of contacts.

Now neither sensor will calibrate and the real time graph shows no readings for RGB for both sensors, only luminance

This may be the reason my probe kept dropping aswell.

Looking with a 10x magnifiy glass I could not see damage on sensors from overheat.

What to do?

I have enough parts to build another, but I couldn't quite get the same looking Caps as the pictures show. The same values though,Ceramic type, just different color to yours. I did check with a electronics chap, he thought they would be ok.

I could just build another, but would really like to find the fault with current so if i caused the fault I don't repeat the error.

Short of desoldering each componet is there a way to check vital parts for error?

Any suggestions Laric, George?

Smokey Joe

·
Registered
11,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez /forum/post/0

quick question for those with spyder2: does the included software have the /support switch? I'd like to use it to imput data into radar's spreadsheet for comparison.

Yes, it appears to. I uninstalled my old SpyderTV program but left the desktop link for the support switch. And then I installed my new SpyderTV PRO software, and the support switch function still operates, and it also shows that it's doing so with the new SpyderTV PRO software.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How do you use spyder 2 express to calibrate a front projector when it does not come with the tripod holder? I assume you need to position the probe in front of the screen somehow?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi !!

I have just carried out my first calibration and the results are very good apart from my gamma. All other graphs look OK but gamma not. When i was trying to fix it pic quality decreased. Maybe any one here all ready have used this software to calibrate plasma screen. BTW I am using Spyder2 sensor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks PJis the calibration software ready yet in English, I checked the website and it still says French only? If there is a link to the update, could someone please post it?

·
Registered
96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukassk /forum/post/0

Hi !!

I have just carried out my first calibration and the results are very good apart from my gamma. All other graphs look OK but gamma not. When i was trying to fix it pic quality decreased. Maybe any one here all ready have used this software to calibrate plasma screen. BTW I am using Spyder2 sensor.

For plasma screens, you should use 10% window patterns. I recognize above graph as readings from full field?

For some reason, is the power-supply in plasma screens almost always under-dimensioned...

// Lyckman

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes !!

That is true, I was using full screen test patterns. Why was there such a diffrence ?? Do you know if I should use a filter like the one for LCD screens or take it off like for calibrating CRT ???

Thank you in advance for any help !!

And for those guys who developed this software - THANK YOU very much !!! Great Job !!!

thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Someone told me it is due to the power supplies, in most plasmas cannot provide enough current to drive all cells to 100% luminance simultainously. What you see in the gamma-curve is the device "clipping" at higher levels.

According to colorvision, the spyder2 sensor should always have the baffle (filter) mounted, independent of display type.

// Lyckman

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey folks,

Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong?... Can't seem to get the latest

software to read my Spyder probe correctly... The same probe works great

with the Spyder "support" option and S2fly. The real time "Measures"

always shows x=0 y=1.

Here's the settings I'm using:

File -> New -> DVD Manual -> Spyder II

Model -> Defaut

Calib Mode -> PROJ

Tried both cvspyder version 4.0.0.5 and 4.1.0.1

Any ideas?

·
Registered
840 Posts
lukassk, seems pretty good, we usually try to be in the 3 DeltaE target, you are close...

Can you post the .chc file ?

As for other questions re Spyder (or DTP 94) I cannot answer I don't have any of those probes...

--Patrice

·
Registered
96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyckman /forum/post/0

According to colorvision, the spyder2 sensor should always have the baffle (filter) mounted, independent of display type.

// Lyckman

HDHolic,

I'll quote myself.. some posts up...

// Lyckman

·
Registered
840 Posts
161 - 180 of 3254 Posts