AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that are interested in making back-up copies of your own personal DVDs or saving them on the hard-drive... there is a new program that not only transcodes (compresses) but also decrypts as well... all-in-one... and here's the best part... its FREE!!!!!!!!!!

You can get it at: http://www.dvdr-digest.com/software/...file=dvdshrink

enjoy!!!!!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
648 Posts
Its pretty kule. You can't beat the price. Of course anytime you resample digital files in half the quality is going to suffer. I usually split files onto 2 discs, but if the original files are < 6GB you can use this to make it fit on one DVD with only a little degradation.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
showard... yes, FREE is a very good price.

You're right, picture quality does suffer if you compress, however if you can't see the compression artifacts then does it really matter? I think where one 'draws the line' in picture quality depends on a number of factors such as display capabilities, original bit rate, original file size, the eye sight of the viewer, viewing distance, and on and on and... you get the idea.

Personally the way I handle it is I 'strip' out the 'movie only' with my preferred sound track (many tools will do this, I'm currently using IfoEdit)... nope, no menu items... actually no menu at all as I want the smallest final file size. If the resulting file size is under 4.38Gb (or 4.7Gb depending on your measuring system) I do a 1:1 ISO copy. If the file size is greater than ~6.4Gb then I also copy 1:1 by splitting to 2 discs. However if it is in-between then I choose to transcode with DVD21 (or re-encode with IC)... I usually use DVD21 up to about 5.4Gb and IC for the bigger ones. This works PQ-wise for my particular set-up.

I've not actually tried DVDshrink yet... I will this weekend... however it has generated a small amount of excitement over at doom9.org I just thought I'd pass it along to those interested in this sort of thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.