AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a setup to move back and forth in front of my TV. What I've decided on is to use WilsonArt Designer White laminate as I've used it for screens in the past and really like it. Now to the problem: the mounting.

I need to be able to move this frame in and out of the set up and my ceiling doesn't set up well for a "swing down" set up. My thought was to build a frame with legs on the bottom extending to the floor. Then I can simply slide the screen in and out of place.

The advice I'm looking for is about the frame materials and how to attach the laminate (based on the materials). I have excess PVC from another project lying around that I'd love to cannibalize into this project and I love the versatility it gives me, but I'm not sure about attaching the screen to the PVC. Glue? To a rounded surface?

Other options are an aluminum/metal frame, which I'd need to buy supplies for but is probably ideal. Could I simply glue to it? There's also wood, but I don't like working with it as much and consider it a fall back 3rd option.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
669 Posts
How about AL tubing framework from the 8020.net company (many other companies mfg this type of product) ? Below is AVS member "20fan" build thread using this contrustion method, using 8020's "Quick Frame" square smooth surface AL frame product;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=quick+frame

Ther have been a couple of people use AL tubing or T-slot tubing to build their frames tha have legs attached, I'll see if I can locate those threads & post back...

·
Registered
669 Posts
8020.net also has an eBay "garage sale", you might compare prices once you get a quote from one their dealers on the lengths you need & see if their "scrap" will meet your needs. But it would hard to beat having the tubes cut to your l;ength & shipped to your door by UPS & ready to assemble.

"20fan"'s idea is great using this Quick Frame product, a great idea indeed. Also by buying the shorter pieces, you avoid the much higher price of 8, 9 + foot lengths of any AL tubing or T-slot tubing shipped via truck frieght.

When I get around to make my own screen, I think I'll use this method, looks simple & fool-proof...

Good luck with your project, be sure & post photos of your build progress. This forum is such a great place.

John

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I ended up using the eBay store for it since their 48" lengths on there were right around what I was needing. If I need to trim them a few inches I can do that.

The eBay process was pretty simple for me. I'm framing a full 5'x12" DW sheet because I'll eventually get back to a CIH setup like I had before (and still miss) and I don't want to have to do this all over again once I have the ability to put that back together. From their eBay setup for all the materials I needed for the frame I ended up around $150 shipped, which isn't as bad as I thought it might be for that size.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
given that I'm doing the full 5'x12' sheet, think having two vertical supports in the frame is enough for the screen or should I go with 3?

edit: well I can't get the formatting to work on the crappy picture I put together in the post, but I'm talking about the supports behind the screen in the frame proper, not the legs holding the whole thing up.

If I go with 3 I'll have to cut the aluminum more. If I go with the 2 I won't have to cut. I ordered enough for either but haven't decided which way to go yet. Should be arriving today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.