AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to be able to sync files between my video folder here at home and another PC of mine in a remote location. Currently, I have a manual process in place, but I would like to make it automatic. I have looked at a few options, such as AeroFS, but they do not do exactly what I want to do. I want to do this without having to set up VPN tunnels or dealing with firewall rules pointed to DDNS entries, as I want to keep this very simple. Anyone have a free, easy, solution for this? Only needs to be between two computers. Also looked at Crashplan, but it appears to make 4GB blocks of backup files, not individual file duplication.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried SyncToy a year ago between two PCs on the same network and never could get it to work right. If I were to use it across the internet, I'm assuming it means I have to open firewall rules and such. I'm ok at my end, but I have no control at the other end, so it will have to support UPnP at the client end. Maybe I overlooked something that will make it easy?

I just found PowerFolder, looking at it now.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks like a good solution, adding that to my list to evaluate. Thank you! Only thing I can't figure out is if it requires manual sync. Sync'ing multi gigabyte files manually will mean significant delays, but if it does auto sync, we may be in business. So now I have two to look at so far.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Supposed to be automatic for desktop clients. Not sure how well syncing multi-gigabyte files will be, though. It's not exactly something I'd attempt with my paltry 5 Mbps upload speed.

Introduction

Available for Windows, Mac OS X, and various Linux distributions, the ownCloud Desktop Sync client enables you to:

• Specify one or more directories on your computer that you want to synchronize to the ownCloud server.
  • Always have the latest files synchronized, wherever they are located.

Your files are always automatically synchronized between your ownCloud server and local PC.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Supposed to be automatic for desktop clients. Not sure how well syncing multi-gigabyte files will be, though. It's not exactly something I'd attempt with my paltry 5 Mbps upload speed.
75/75 here, and usually speedtest.net hits me at about 82 down and 90 up.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Even if you are running a tunnel-paid-vpn for encryption you can use if fairly easily. Just as long as your provider allows port forwarding. BTSync has a pretty straightforward interface, and changing the listening port is one of the basic preferences. I have mine listening on the same port that I have passed through for mediabrowser

For now I only use it for DCIM folder backups from my wife's phone. If there was an online web view that worked with chromeOS I'd probably use it a lot more

For two sets of files at two locations it's hard to beat for it's simplicity. The interface is actually too simple in some ways. You have to play with it a little to realize that sharing the folder you want is easily done a number of ways, but the client end only gets one chance (upon initial adding of the share) to determine the file path they want for the sync. However if you do it right you can easily set it up to your liking, but I had to add and delete things a few times to realize that

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Lol. Of course it would see a major update right behind you setting it up

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/03/sy...haring-service-exits-beta-with-a-40-pro-tier/

I don't fathom myself ever needing the pro tier. I only use 3 folders

I will say that 2.0 hit my android device but I couldn't get the desktop client to upgrade gracefully. I just deleted everything and started again. It's of little consequence to me, but I love this for image backups to my server

Have you tried it yet?

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't yet, but I hope to get to it Saturday. The delivery of all my hardware for my new server was delayed due to weather, and just all came in Wednesday. I have the server built now, and have one Windows 7 host configured. I've been jacking around trying to get WMC to run in this Windows 7 ESXi VM, and have everything working except I can't get the guide to download.

Why have WMC on a server? Because I want my extenders and ServerWMC (Roku, etc.) to connect to it instead of my WHS 2011 box. Once I have everything off the WHS 2011 box, I'm going to P2V it to the new server just for backups and remote connectivity. I'd like to fully retire my existing server, but if I can't get WMC running in the VM, I'm going to have to spin it back up as a W7 box for serving WMC. :(

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I've tried that. I've tried all sorts of things. Uninstalled WMC and put it back, changed clock and put it back, run the Object Store Recovery Task in Task Scheduler, run a bunch of CLI commands, added static DNS entries in my hosts file, etc. It will either fail totally, or it will say it completed when it didn't. If it says it completed, I have an event in event viewer that states it couldn't connect to the guide server.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Interesting. I've been running a Win 7 VM with WMC for 2 years now so it can be done (I did have to do the host file modification though). Spin up a clean install VM?

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've moved on to other stuff right now, I might come back and do that, but I have 2 days invested in this install, I don't want to have to start over. I could leave the 2nd one out there, but the goal was to give the highest priority and largest amount of resources to just the one Win7 VM.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Crazy. The event logs say it has successfully downloaded now, but there's still no data in the guide.

3:58:54 PM - Testing internet connection.
3:58:57 PM - Connection established.
3:58:57 PM - Retrieving Directory.
3:58:58 PM - Processing Directory.
3:58:58 PM - Processing of Directory is complete.
3:58:58 PM - The NetworkMetadata package is not available.
3:58:58 PM - Testing internet connection.
3:58:58 PM - Connection established.
3:58:58 PM - Retrieving ClientUpdate.
3:58:59 PM - Processing of ClientUpdate is complete.
3:58:59 PM - The ClientUpdate package is already up to date.
3:58:59 PM - Retrieving NetTV.
3:58:59 PM - Processing of NetTV is complete.
3:58:59 PM - The NetTV package is already up to date.
3:58:59 PM - Retrieving MCESpotlight.
3:58:59 PM - Processing of MCESpotlight is complete.
3:58:59 PM - The MCESpotlight package is already up to date.
3:58:59 PM - Retrieving MCEClientUX.
3:59:00 PM - Processing of MCEClientUX is complete.
3:59:00 PM - The MCEClientUX package is already up to date.
3:59:00 PM - Retrieving SportsSchedule.
3:59:00 PM - Processing of SportsSchedule is complete.
3:59:00 PM - The SportsSchedule package is already up to date.
3:59:00 PM - Retrieving SportsV2.
3:59:00 PM - Processing of SportsV2 is complete.
3:59:00 PM - The SportsV2 package is already up to date.
3:59:01 PM - Retrieving Broadband.
3:59:01 PM - Processing of Broadband is complete.
3:59:01 PM - The Broadband package is already up to date.
3:59:12 PM - Update successful.
3:59:12 PM - Next update at 3/9/2015 5:37:05 AM

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I reran the signal setup once more, and viola, the guide is now there. Hooray! Now to set up ServerWMC and the recordings on the new server. :)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If you're still trying out Syncing apps - just go with Robocopy. It will do just about anything you ask of it and you already have it installed ;)

Don't bother with SyncToy... it's slow and buggy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts